The collapse of Phuket’s lifeguards

rooster59

The collapse of Phuket’s lifeguards

image.jpg

The lifeguard tower at Kamala Beach and the lifeguard watch-station tent at Nai Yang Beach have collapsed, destroyed by waves, as any official support for Phuket’s lifeguards continues to be absent. Photos: Supplied

PHUKET: The collapse of Phuket’s lifeguards’ ability to protect swimmers came literally this week with two lifeguard watch-points succumbing to the angry sea.

The lifeguard tower at Kamala has fallen to rapid beach erosion while a lifeguard station tent at Nai Yang Beach has also been swallowed by the waves.

The fall of the watchtowers comes as lifeguards at Kamala this morning (Aug 11) carried out yet another rescue, with the result of whether the person in danger lived or died yet to be confirmed.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/the-collapse-of-phuket-lifeguards-68217.php#38hoFzcehmF9suDi.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-08-11

What can one say, after all these years.  I was at one of the pristine, well maintained beaches in Hong Kong a couple weeks ago, and what a difference. No jet ski touts, no thieving, no raw sewage and professional  well equipped lifeguards. The beach had a large number of mainland Chinese visitors all swimming in the designated swim zones, and when the life guard  gave an order or blew his whistle, they obeyed immediately.  The point being that  the Chinese always get blamed for the  tragedies at the beach, but I offer that it has more to do with how the beaches are organized and the type of lifeguards present. (The lifeguards don't even speak the same language as the visitors Cantonese vs. Mandarin, so it isn't even a question of easier communication.) 

Phuket pays lip service to water safety and the lifeguards are all for show, much like a new coat of paint over a decaying building. This nonsense has been going on for years. As long as tourists are  stupid enough to accept it, they will continue to drown. 

Fact of the matter is that this corrupt contract for Phuket's northern beaches is on full public display. Hire the minimum number of cheap guys with no swim experience and skim off much of the contract money. But now with phone cams of official life guards hiding on the beach until tourists recover near unconcious swimmers then they rush in to take all the credit. Now this is all in the full public glare ... what now Phuket Gov ...    

Why is it that only Phuket has lifeguards? I have been to 30 or 40 other beaches in Thailand and have never seen a lifeguard - I have seen some that have signs saying lifeguards are on duty and have even seen some lifeguard towers - but never any lifeguards.

7 minutes ago, Damaz6052 said:

They never used the tower on Kamala Beach. The guards were always underneath chatting with their mates.

correct!!!..when and if they have a rescue ,its turned into a PHOTO OPP...David Hasselhoff would be disgusted

15 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Fact of the matter is that this corrupt contract for Phuket's northern beaches is on full public display. Hire the minimum number of cheap guys with no swim experience and skim off much of the contract money. But now with phone cams of official life guards hiding on the beach until tourists recover near unconcious swimmers then they rush in to take all the credit. Now this is all in the full public glare ... what now Phuket Gov ...    

Are you telling me there not even taught to stand on the beach and point if someone is in trouble

16 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

What can one say, after all these years.  I was at one of the pristine, well maintained beaches in Hong Kong a couple weeks ago, and what a difference. No jet ski touts, no thieving, no raw sewage and professional  well equipped lifeguards. The beach had a large number of mainland Chinese visitors all swimming in the designated swim zones, and when the life guard  gave an order or blew his whistle, they obeyed immediately.  The point being that  the Chinese always get blamed for the  tragedies at the beach, but I offer that it has more to do with how the beaches are organized and the type of lifeguards present. (The lifeguards don't even speak the same language as the visitors Cantonese vs. Mandarin, so it isn't even a question of easier communication.) 

Phuket pays lip service to water safety and the lifeguards are all for show, much like a new coat of paint over a decaying building. This nonsense has been going on for years. As long as tourists are  stupid enough to accept it, they will continue to drown. 

much like a new coat of paint over a decaying building

i like this part,  i've ridden all over the pattaya area and all i see are decaying buildings. upkeep is another word the thais do not have in their dictionary

16 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

'Phuket pays lip service to water safety ...'                               

LoS pays lip service to safety.                                                                                                   

Archived