Dying fashion model begs potential saviour for stem cell donation

rooster59

Dying fashion model begs potential saviour for stem cell donation

By The Nation

The family of a fashion model, who is dying of leukemia, made a Facebook post on Saturday begging a possible donor match to change his mind and donate his stem cells to save the model’s life.

The family made the plea on the Facebook wall of the model, Pramthat “Pram” Sinkang.

The post said doctors have told the model that he could live no longer than six months if no stem-cell donor match was found.

The post said Pramthat had earlier received chemotherapy and after becoming stronger thought his leukemia had been beaten. But his doctor on July 23 told Pramthat that his cancer had worsened and chemotherapy was no longer an option.

The post said doctors told the model that a stem-cell implant was now the only treatment that might cure him.

The family said the model could not find a new donor match after doctors first identified one in February, but that prospective donor had later changed his mind. 

“He changed his mind because his family did not allow it,” Pram’s family explained in the post.

“I don’t know who you are but if you see this message, our family would like to beg you to change your mind and donate the stem cells to Pram. It’s hard to find someone to save Pram right now,” they said to the potential donor.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30351969

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-11

14 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

Why emphasize that he's a fashion model ?

Because pretty and rich people are worth more in Thailand.

I would be less inclined to help (if i could) because she is a fashion model. Sounds like a occupation with people being paid to look pretty and behaving like arrogant <deleted>.

28 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Because pretty and rich people are worth more in Thailand.

I would be less inclined to help (if i could) because she is a fashion model. Sounds like a occupation with people being paid to look pretty and behaving like arrogant <deleted>.

But not perhaps sufficient reason to deny someone a chance to live? 

I hope the donor will come back to his right mind - donating stem-cells is a kids game, will not hurt or have any negative effect to the donor. Un-believable how anybody, who has the suitable cells does reject this plead to have a chance to survive.

If only there was some database of donors, in order to find out a more suitable one, then perhaps need some more specific testing.

I've mentioned this before regarding organ donation. Trying to donate your body here requires the donor to organise in advance for someone to take the body to a hospital willing to accept them.

In my case I'd need my body taken 100km - and that is just to donate my body to medical science, not even to donate any organs for transplant.

The way I see it, once I'm dead, someone may just as well have the use of my body for something useful, medical students practising on it seems reasonable.

My wife is dead against it (so to speak), but it seems to me  a better use of a lump of flesh.

39 minutes ago, Prince77 said:

I hope the donor will come back to his right mind - donating stem-cells is a kids game, will not hurt or have any negative effect to the donor. Un-believable how anybody, who has the suitable cells does reject this plead to have a chance to survive.

39 minutes ago, Prince77 said:

$$$$$ maybe

1 hour ago, Prince77 said:

As such a magnanimous person are you volunteering to see if you're a match or are you just having a go at one person who did but whose family wouldn't permit it?

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

As such a magnanimous person are you volunteering to see if you're a match or are you just having a go at one person who did but whose family wouldn't permit it?

Of course I would - actually in my original Country there are many events where people donate their blood for such a purpose of stem cell determination.

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

What is the procedure to harvest stem cells ?  Is it as easy as donating sperm ? I'm not shaming anyone if it is painful or dangerous, any cutting in  Thailand is dangerous.

Bone marrow is removed from the hip bones with the appropriate sterile needles. The procedure is performed in the operating room under general anesthetic or epidural. This bone marrow is then transfused into the patient within 24 to 48 hours. The bone marrow transfusion procedure is identical to the procedure used in blood transfusions.

12 hours ago, Prince77 said:

Waiting for remuneration?

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Bone marrow is removed from the hip bones with the appropriate sterile needles. The procedure is performed in the operating room under general anesthetic or epidural. This bone marrow is then transfused into the patient within 24 to 48 hours. The bone marrow transfusion procedure is identical to the procedure used in blood transfusions.

Thank you for posting this information.

If this is truly the only way to harvest stem cells, it seems that the procedure is not as simple/risk-free as some have stated.

General anaesthetic and epidurals do carry a risk of permanent injury (even death).

The OP does not give details of the potential donor, but it does state that "the family wouldn't permit it", which leads me to assume that the donor is not an adult.

Ask me to permit my own child (even an adult child) to undergo this procedure - my answer would be an emphatic NO.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:33 PM, Prince77 said:

Of course I would - actually in my original Country there are many events where people donate their blood for such a purpose of stem cell determination.

Any update on your donating to this person , then?

Archived