Election in February? Debate over election inspectors raises more doubts

rooster59

Election in February? Debate over election inspectors raises more doubts

By Thai PBS

ELECTION-HL.png

Doubts grow whether Thais will be able to go to the polls in February

For many people, there are good reasons to doubt whether the long-anticipated election will take place within the time frame as outlined in the military junta’s political roadmap?

February of 2018 is the time frame that those anxious to see Thailand return to democracy through the ballot box want the military junta to stick to.

But an increasing number of politicians are questioning whether it will be kept now that a new factor has emerged that has the potential to delay it.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/election-in-february-debate-over-election-inspectors-raises-more-doubts/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-08-12

The election is not on the military juntas road map...

It never was and never will be on their road map..

The public keep bleating on about an election but that just causes the military to come up with more inventive excuses ?

Aint gonna happen people, get used to it or get active....

"The uncertainty stems from a recent move by a group of 36 members of the junta-appointed National Legislative Assembly to amend the organic law on the Election Commission, specifically regarding the appointment of 616 provincial election inspectors for all provinces, including Bangkok Metropolis..."

A recent move by 36 members of the NLA? Does anyone believe that the members of the NLA are independent from the Junta in any way? 

"...Meanwhile, Mr Somchai Sawaengkarn, the secretary of the NLA’s extraordinary committee or “whips”, said the NLA members are still in the process of gathering opinions and feedbacks from all stake-holders on the proposed amendments which have yet to be formally put on the NLA’s agenda.

He noted that the process of amending such an important organic law could take up to a year, considering the need for public hearings as constitutionally required.  And the term of NLA would already have expired by the time the amendments are adopted..."

Could take up to a year? 

This whole election process has become a farce; time for the pro-Democracy parties to stand up, denounce it as a farce and announce a boycott. Better no election that one where the Junta claims false legitimacy.

44 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

For many people, there are good reasons to doubt whether the long-anticipated election will take place within the time frame as outlined in the military junta’s political roadmap?

so which is it ; are the thai people so inept that they cannot govern themselves outside of the military or is there a political agenda with the boys in green 'force-leading' the way ?

my money is on both

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"The uncertainty stems from a recent move by a group of 36 members of the junta-appointed National Legislative Assembly to amend the organic law on the Election Commission, specifically regarding the appointment of 616 provincial election inspectors for all provinces, including Bangkok Metropolis..."

A recent move by 36 members of the NLA? Does anyone believe that the members of the NLA are independent from the Junta in any way? 

"...Meanwhile, Mr Somchai Sawaengkarn, the secretary of the NLA’s extraordinary committee or “whips”, said the NLA members are still in the process of gathering opinions and feedbacks from all stake-holders on the proposed amendments which have yet to be formally put on the NLA’s agenda.

He noted that the process of amending such an important organic law could take up to a year, considering the need for public hearings as constitutionally required.  And the term of NLA would already have expired by the time the amendments are adopted..."

Could take up to a year? 

This whole election process has become a farce; time for the pro-Democracy parties to stand up, denounce it as a farce and announce a boycott. Better no election that one where the Junta claims false legitimacy.

You are 100% right, Samui. I completely agree with you that the fakeness of any forthcoming 'election' (if ever it comes in our lifetimes) is so utterly twisted, perverted and corrupt that the Thais and their politicians should rise up NOW and declare in one unified voice: 'We ain't taking this any longer. This election that is being hatched is a SHAM. We will boycott it until PROPER elections - full, free and fair - are held'.

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

And end up with Trump in charge !!! Nooooooooo ?

Trump would abuse Thais even more than he abuses Americans (if that is possible). 

So let’s hope that enough Thais rise to the occasion to give the army the boot. 

Enough is enough. 

5 hours ago, YetAnother said:

so which is it ; are the thai people so inept that they cannot govern themselves outside of the military or is there a political agenda with the boys in green 'force-leading' the way ?

my money is on both

It might be wise not to use your ideas of democracy on other countries, bearing in mind that in most so called democratic countries votes are used to further the interest of max 20% of the population.

3 hours ago, Eligius said:

You are 100% right, Samui. I completely agree with you that the fakeness of any forthcoming 'election' (if ever it comes in our lifetimes) is so utterly twisted, perverted and corrupt that the Thais and their politicians should rise up NOW and declare in one unified voice: 'We ain't taking this any longer. This election that is being hatched is a SHAM. We will boycott it until PROPER elections - full, free and fair - are held'.

Suthep's party will certainly not boycott the election and miss out getting snouts in the trough. 

To quote John McEnroe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0hK1wyrrAU

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

The election is not on the military juntas road map...

It never was and never will be on their road map..

The public keep bleating on about an election but that just causes the military to come up with more inventive excuses ?

Aint gonna happen people, get used to it or get active....

Must happen or there will be big trouble which will make the UN step in and Thailand will be sanctioned. Prayut is no longer accepted as God and hangman.

Imo. It's hard to create a constitution then elect a leadership to enforce same,  when the majority people of this developing nation are too easily manipulated by the many who promise to fill the begging hands more,.... regardless of the consequences. At the same time this constitution is to satisfy the equivalent of a developed nation whose population realize too much"free" comes with a cost.

Democracy has proven difficult in Thailand. IMO , they're not ready for it. The ones pushing are the ones who want back in the trough.

4 hours ago, Eligius said:

I accept all your points.

I also believe there is a valid point about the competence of the electoral commissioners and the voting inspectors. The past track record of both groups is awful / scaly. If there is risk that either group will be less than professional and unbiased then there is risk to free and fair elections.  

But I have a much bigger issue as to why the selection of these groups wasn't well structured and completed satisfactorily (first time around) many many months ago. 

The OP writes '....February of 2018 is the time frame that those anxious to see...' well that's okay but where do they keep the Time Machine to go back and vote, if it happens that is...I mean, if it did/didn't happen that is...I mean... Oh hell, too late anyway

4 hours ago, Eligius said:

Won't happen. Thais will jump up and down about Khao San Road and the like but government/political issues they stay quiet. Sad but true.

Another ruse??  If an election does not occur in February, I suspect this will serve as the toilet flushing of the economy here, which is already dismal.. like a house of cards without true outsider and insider confidence... choose wisely... for Thailand's sake, if no other...

I thought it was said a while ago that any election would not take place until after the Coronation.

As no date has been given for it(that I am aware of) I do not think that something as important as a Coronation could be announced with only a few months notice, given that Heads of State from all over the world could be expected to attend and their diaries are fixed sometimes almost a year in advance.

11 minutes ago, CeeGee said:

I thought it was said a while ago that any election would not take place until after the Coronation.

As no date has been given for it(that I am aware of) I do not think that something as important as a Coronation could be announced with only a few months notice, given that Heads of State from all over the world could be expected to attend and their diaries are fixed sometimes almost a year in advance.

Very good point (above). Also, they already said a week ago that the elections might be held next May. So clearly February is already out, in their minds ...

3 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Very good point (above). Also, they already said a week ago that the elections might be held next May. So clearly February is already out, in their minds ...

The country went 20 years back in only four years. More watches for the # two and a lot of cash for the self-made politician won't help the poor. 

2 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

The country went 20 years back in only four years. More watches for the # two and a lot of cash for the self-made politician won't help the poor. 

You are so right, Jenny2017. It's tragic to see how far backwards the junta have dragged this country - in terms of basic human rights and civil rights. Quite shocking, really.

3 minutes ago, Eligius said:

You are so right, Jenny2017. It's tragic to see how far backwards the junta have dragged this country - in terms of basic human rights and civil rights. Quite shocking, really.

Some educated folks know how bad the damage already is. Mostly poor people are suffering from the wannabe politicians. My dentist called him a dictator and she's very honest about it. It's so sad and shocking that I don't find the right words. P.S. What human rights are left? 

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

February was out even when being announced. They will come out with any old cack to extricate themselves from a troublesome situation and worry about the fallout as and when it occurs...

Archived