5 senior policemen in Samut Sakhon moved to inactive posts

rooster59

5 senior policemen in Samut Sakhon moved to inactive posts

5-senior-policemen-in-Samut-Sakhon.png

The superintendent of Krathum Baen district police, Samut Sakhon province, and four other senior police officers have been ordered transferred out of the province following a raid on a pub in which 123 patrons were tested positive with drug use.

Pol Col Krisana Pattanacharoen, deputy spokesman of the Royal Thai Police Office, said Saturday that local administration officials raided the Nos Pub in Tambon Om-noi, Krathum Baen district, on Friday night and conducted urine tests which showed positive results on 123 patrons.

Also, some of the patrons were under 18, he said, adding that it was discovered that the name of the pub did not match with the one registered with the authorities.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/5-senior-policemen-in-samut-sakhon-moved-to-inactive-posts/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-08-12

Pol Lt-Gen Kittipong Ngaomook, the commissioner of 7th Region Provicial Police Bureau, ordered the police superintendent, his deputy and three other inspectors transferred out of the district to inactive posts in the bureau pending an investigation.

But still not why....

32 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

So why were they transferred ?? No reason given, apart from they conducted a raid on a pub !!

Great story....

Local administration raided the pub, not the police who had turned a blind eye for some reason..

True story Last time a cop pull me over for nothing even wearing my seatbelt etc  i ask what’s the problem then he suddenly points      Inside my car and tells me to continue driving on so i happy lateron i realized he had mistaken my Gps for a dash cam.. ???...

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

So why were they transferred ?? No reason given, apart from they conducted a raid on a pub !!

Great story....

A policeman's inactive post means that he will no longer be collecting the contents of the brown envelops in that district as the new guy moving in to his old post will be the one now able to buy his family their new Benzs.

32 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

If someone cheats or steals or is corrupt while on the job then shouldn’t they just be fired and let the court system deal with them accordingly? Why they move them to inactivive posts and still pay them salaries?

when a country's foundation is corruption from top to bottom so in this government knowing that someday most of the leaders will be in that same position ,they refrain from enforcing laws that they too might have to face.

35 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

If someone cheats or steals or is corrupt while on the job then shouldn’t they just be fired and let the court system deal with them accordingly? Why they move them to inactivive posts and still pay them salaries?

You don't understand that there is a very good reason for this. The Thais  are compassionate people. They see no reason why the family should suffer for the wrongs of the father.  Unlike perhaps your country, they would be provided for somehow. In Thailand there is no provision for  them to survive. With the salary of the provider removed they would have no money to live on no food no education. When they are moved to inactive posts they can no longer engage in corruption. They are also forced to provide for their families with the salaries that are paid.

6 minutes ago, gamini said:

You don't understand that there is a very good reason for this. The Thais  are compassionate people. They see no reason why the family should suffer for the wrongs of the father.  Unlike perhaps your country, they would be provided for somehow. In Thailand there is no provision for  them to survive. With the salary of the provider removed they would have no money to live on no food no education. When they are moved to inactive posts they can no longer engage in corruption. They are also forced to provide for their families with the salaries that are paid.

You haven't been here very long have you.? 

53 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Because it is the courts to find them guilty of not!

7 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

You haven't been here very long have you.? 

The strange thing is gamini has been here for a very long time.

I agree with you that his post ignores some fundamental truths about the police here.

That is a fundamental point. Fear of detection, punishment and bad effects on your family are what underpin Western morality and compliance. If you remove these sanctions by continuing to pay offenders and looking after their families, then corruption flourishes as it does in many Asian countries.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

It appears the senior policemen were getting envelopes from the bar to turn a blind eye to what was going on, and failed to pass any money up the chain, and that cannot be allowed to happen.

The other alternative might be that these plods owned this "anything goes" pub to get the crowds in the door.  

The real hardship for them being transferred to an "inactive post" is that they are removed from all distribution lists thus cutting their income substantially. Wives and mia nois will feel the pain and won't be happy and will inflict their own brand of punishment on them as well.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Because they have delivered fat envelopes to their employers before getting employed. This is the norm if you want to have a job in the police force, education, army etc. Passing tests and education papers has little or nothing to do with this.

51 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Is this a photo of the annual meeting of "inactive post" holders? I'm not sure because I couldn't join the party as the sign at the entrance said: For members only, or by special invitation.

mass%20ralley%203_zpsaqew5fpy.png

Actually that is only this years crop of inactive posts so far and the authorities are desperately looking for a larger venue for the end of the year one.

Indeed, as the previous poster points out, it is expensive and difficult to get in to the police and the expensive and difficult process is repeated for every promotion. It is also very difficult to boot somebody out for the same reason and the convention is only applied when  somebody is seen as a threat to the power structure.

It is pointless comparing the police here to police in Western countries, chalk and cheese, for the following reasons :-

1. The whole point of the police here is mutual benefit. People join the police here to benefit themselves and their families by receiving protection from the law and power over others and most importantly, access to income streams. You need to pay in at the beginning for riches years later and you need to serve the senior officers for access to power years later. Since power is a zero sum game and those joining the police benefit, those outside the police are disadvantaged.

2. The police here is a revenue-raising organisation. This is a key function of the organisation. This revenue is passed up the ranks. All sorts of compromises are in play. How much to chuck upstairs vs how much to keep? How much crime to allow (for cash) vs how much to suppress crime (and reduce income streams)? Who is whose patron vs who is my patron? How much to pay for a position vs how much income can be gained? In the West, police rarely have side income dwarfing their salary.

3. The police here are opaque. Information is tightly controlled as is the press. Criticism is suppressed by both use of draconian laws and extra-legal pressure.

4. Oversight here is internal. Wrongdoing is judged by one's own officers. Anybody see a conflict of interest there? There is no independent oversight. Such a change would be monumental for the Thai police and fought tooth and nail.

When reading about the police here, don't think about what would happen if it were the police back home but think about organisations like the masons or organised crime fraternities and you can see the logic more clearly.

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Fire them before they have been found guilty by a court? Really?

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

True story Last time a cop pull me over for nothing even wearing my seatbelt etc  i ask what’s the problem then he suddenly points      Inside my car and tells me to continue driving on so i happy lateron i realized he had mistaken my Gps for a dash cam.. ???...

I hope every farang has the common sense to have a dashcam, not only for obvious reasons.

Since I installed them (eventually additionally a rear one after an issue) I have not had a 'fine' by police once they see them. I keep them lit up showing videos In fact the police are now remarkably polite 

There are so many questions that this report leaves unanswered. There was evidence of drug use by some of the patrons, but nothing in the report to suggest that any of the transferred officers were involved or even knew what was going on there. Did the reporter(s) ask why they were being transferred? Probably not, as they are taught from their school days never to question what they are told, especially by people in uniform. There is nothing to indicate that the officers even knew the place existed - it probably isn't the kind of place they'd frequent. What led to the raid? Was it a tip-off? If so, by whom? Or was it a routine check of such places that produced a result.

As usual, Thai reporting leaves so many questions unanswered. I've worked with Thai journalists, and not one of them would last a week in the Real World.

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There are so many questions that this report leaves unanswered. There was evidence of drug use by some of the patrons, but nothing in the report to suggest that any of the transferred officers were involved or even knew what was going on there. Did the reporter(s) ask why they were being transferred? Probably not, as they are taught from their school days never to question what they are told, especially by people in uniform. There is nothing to indicate that the officers even knew the place existed - it probably isn't the kind of place they'd frequent. What led to the raid? Was it a tip-off? If so, by whom? Or was it a routine check of such places that produced a result.

As usual, Thai reporting leaves so many questions unanswered. I've worked with Thai journalists, and not one of them would last a week in the Real World. 

See paragraph #3 of my earlier post regarding opacity. It is deliberate, the police don't report that information and the journalists, as you say, are taught not to ask. Write what is reported and nothing more.

The flip side of your final paragraph is that if they did ask questions here, they similarly wouldn't last a week but the end would be under different circumstances.

I think the unstated implication of the initial story is that the cops were on the take. I cannot believe that the police in Thailand would not be aware of what was going on in a packed nightclub on their patch. This is what they do and where they spend a lot of their time for all sorts of reasons.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Indeed, as the previous poster points out, it is expensive and difficult to get in to the police and the expensive and difficult process is repeated for every promotion. It is also very difficult to boot somebody out for the same reason and the convention is only applied when  somebody is seen as a threat to the power structure.

It is pointless comparing the police here to police in Western countries, chalk and cheese, for the following reasons :-

1. The whole point of the police here is mutual benefit. People join the police here to benefit themselves and their families by receiving protection from the law and power over others and most importantly, access to income streams. You need to pay in at the beginning for riches years later and you need to serve the senior officers for access to power years later. Since power is a zero sum game and those joining the police benefit, those outside the police are disadvantaged.

2. The police here is a revenue-raising organisation. This is a key function of the organisation. This revenue is passed up the ranks. All sorts of compromises are in play. How much to chuck upstairs vs how much to keep? How much crime to allow (for cash) vs how much to suppress crime (and reduce income streams)? Who is whose patron vs who is my patron? How much to pay for a position vs how much income can be gained? In the West, police rarely have side income dwarfing their salary.

3. The police here are opaque. Information is tightly controlled as is the press. Criticism is suppressed by both use of draconian laws and extra-legal pressure.

4. Oversight here is internal. Wrongdoing is judged by one's own officers. Anybody see a conflict of interest there? There is no independent oversight. Such a change would be monumental for the Thai police and fought tooth and nail.

When reading about the police here, don't think about what would happen if it were the police back home but think about organisations like the masons or organised crime fraternities and you can see the logic more clearly.

Yes, the police here don't have the brains to be corrupt without the public knowing about it, where the police in western countries are well educated, and know how to keep corruption inhouse, ie using funny handshakes to get promotion, while the Thai police have to pay for there's.

Also, why do the Thai police have so many ranks? Think about it.

Archived