FBI seeks motive after U.S. airline worker stole plane and crashed it

rooster59

By Brendan O'Brien and Alex Dobuzinskis

800x800 (3).jpg

A Horizon Air Bombardier Dash 8 Q400, reported to be hijacked, flies over University Place, Washington, the U.S., before crashing in the South Puget Sound, August 10, 2018 in this still image taken from a video obtained from social media. John Waldron/via REUTERS

(Reuters) - Federal authorities on Saturday were seeking to learn what drove an airline worker to steal an empty airplane from Seattle's airport in a security scare that caused the scrambling of U.S. fighter jets and ended when the plane crashed onto a sparsely populated island.

A Horizon Air ground service agent got into a Bombardier Q400 turboprop aircraft on Friday night in a maintenance area at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and took off, Horizon sister carrier Alaska Airlines said.

He flew for about one hour, often erratically with attempts at aerial stunts, before crashing on Ketron Island in Puget Sound, some 25 miles (40 km) to the southwest.

The 29-year-old man, who has not been named, was suicidal and appeared to have acted alone, according to authorities. He was believed to have been killed in the crash.

He was not known to have had a pilot's licence, Horizon Air Chief Executive Gary Beck said at a news conference, and it was not clear how he was able to take off and fly like he did.

"There were some manoeuvres that were done that were incredible manoeuvres with the aircraft," Beck said. "Commercial aircraft are complex machines. They're not as easy to fly as, say, a Cessna 150, so I don't know how he achieved the experience that he did," Beck said.

The local sheriff's department said on Twitter that either doing stunts "or lack of flying skills" caused the crash.

In partial recordings of the employee's conversations with air traffic controllers that were published online by Broadcastify.com, the man said he was sorry to disappoint people who cared about him and described himself as a "broken guy."

"Got a few screws loose, I guess," he is heard saying in the recording. "Never really knew it until now."

The employee had worked for Horizon Air for 3-1/2 years and had clearance to tow planes, Alaska Airlines Chief Executive Brad Tilden said at the news conference.

He said airplanes of that type do not have doors that lock or ignition keys like cars.

"The setup in aviation in America is we secure the airfield and then we have the mindset that we have employees that are credentialed and authorized to be there," Tilden said, adding that the airline was working with authorities to investigate.

The FBI is leading the probe, which also includes the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board.

"We are going to be thorough, which means taking the time needed to scour the area, delve into the background of the individual believed responsible, and review every aspect of this incident with all appropriate public & private partners," the FBI said in a statement.

Two F-15 fighter jets took to the air from a base in Portland, Oregon, and were on the scene within minutes. The jets were armed but did not open fire, North American Aerospace Defence Command spokesman Cameron Hillier said by phone.

Instead, the F-15 pilots and air traffic controllers tried to guide the plane west, away from populated areas, said Hillier. No one was hurt on the ground, authorities said.

It was unclear how the employee was able to taxi the plane on a runway and take off without authorization.

The Bombardier Q400 turboprop is designed for short-distance flights and can seat 76 passengers, Alaska Air said.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-12

They say there is no evidence of him having flight training.  I believe they may find he had a "flight simulator" program and was an enthusiast on his computer.  Quite realistic and can learn a lot.  Just a guess on my part.

EDIT;  Ok, I just found this.  Good guess! ?

"Russell reportedly told air traffic controller that he'd played enough video games to know how to fly a plane. Authorities on Saturday would not speculate whether the man learned to fly via video games. 

Rosenker said on CBSN, however, that "there are video games that deal with the simulation of these aircrafts. ... You could learn a great deal playing these types of games.""

14 minutes ago, silverhawk_usa said:

They say there is no evidence of him having flight training.  I believe they may find he had a "flight simulator" program and was an enthusiast on his computer.  Quite realistic and can learn a lot.  Just a guess on my part.

When you work on aircraft, you do become familiar with them. I spent most of my career working on them plus many years maintaining flight simulators, I'm fairly confident that I could have done the same thing had I been so minded.

There was a similar incident to this at a USAF base in the UK in 1969. A homesick AF sergeant stole a C130 and attempted to fly home to see his wife. That one ended up in the English Channel.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

That's a no-brainer - The guy said it himself: He had a screw loose. This was obviously a fantasy that became a compulsion, and he acted out on it. 

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Two F-15 fighter jets took to the air from a base in Portland, Oregon, and were on the scene within minutes

absolutely its just when commercial jets are hijacked and or fly off course without authorization that they are allowed to fly around for well over 1 hour and no military jets are scrambled as was the case on 9 11

24 minutes ago, atyclb said:

absolutely its just when commercial jets are hijacked and or fly off course without authorization that they are allowed to fly around for well over 1 hour and no military jets are scrambled as was the case on 9 11

That was then.

This is now.

See "New Phenomenon", "Hostage Takers or Kamikaze Pilots?", "Learning Curve", "Correct Threat Identification, Assessment and Appropriate Response", etc, etc.

10 minutes ago, Enoon said:
33 minutes ago, atyclb said:

That was then.

This is now.

See "New Phenomenon", "Hostage Takers or Kamikaze Pilots?", "Learning Curve", "Correct Threat Identification, Assessment and Appropriate Response", etc, etc.

the protocol then was also to scramble jets

btw the excuse given then was not related to your reply content

46 minutes ago, atyclb said:

Not the case. There was no doubt that fighter jets were scrambled within minutes of those planes being hijacked. The fact that they were not shot down was a decision on the part of King George II. It was a deliberate decision to rally the American people behind a war on terrorism. If you think I am being cynical, think of the degree of cynicism that might have gone into a decision like that. It is FAA policy, that within minutes of a commercial flight going out of contact with the ground control, the military is contacted, and jets are scrambled. A friend of mine was in Mexico City on 9/11. The major nightly news showed the fighter jets with a mile or two of the jets that crashed into the towers. That footage was not allowed on American news. 

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The major nightly news showed the fighter jets with a mile or two of the jets that crashed into the towers. That footage was not allowed on American news. 

that is amazing and contrary to what the government claimed.  you have a link for that video?

18 minutes ago, atyclb said:

that is amazing and contrary to what the government claimed.  you have a link for that video?

And do you have any specific reason to believe the government? Is there any particular reason why you trust the government? What have they done lately to earn that trust? Do you really believe that because the government did not acknowledge the presence of fighter jets, that is absolute proof that they were not following FAA protocol, and not there at all? 

Every commercial and civilian plane that takes to the air in the US, has to fill and file a specific flight plan. Along with this flight plan, there are required fixed points that the plane has to hit along the way, in oder to keep the skies safe and clear. When a plane misses one of those fixes, air traffic controllers are alerted, and they attempt to make contact with the pilot. If the pilot fails to respond appropriately, the military is contacted, and a fighter jet is usually scrambled to investigate. The military and NORAD are directly linked into the sophisticated radar and air traffic control systems of the FAA. And even a private pilot in a small off course plane will likely find one or two F-18s on their tail with ten minutes of unapproved movement. 

Before reviewing the military air defense response on 9/11, it is important to remember objectively what the 'official story' asks the public to believe. According to their narrative, on the morning of September 11, four enormous, fuel-laden, lumbering jumbo jets were hijacked by 19 Arab men with box-cutters and zero in-air flight experience. These slow, unmaneuverable planes were then flown for 1 hour and 45 minutes through the most restricted airspace in the world without eliciting a single military intercept. The most sophisticated military in the world, able to strike dime-sized targets from hundreds of miles away with laser-guided missiles, precision radar equipment, and state of the art aircraft capable of flying well over 1,300 mph, could not locate, engage, nor intercept four wandering jumbo jets. A military that has a budget larger than the combined military assets of every other country in the world could not scramble, intercept and engage any of the radically wayward planes. Even Flight 77, which was allowed to fly unimpeded and crash into the Pentagon one full hour after two jets had been flown into the Twin Towers in NYC, failed to elicit the response and intercept from any military jets. Nor, indeed, did flight 93. A plane that crashed in a Pennsylvania field 1 hour and 45 minutes after the first plane was confirmed hijacked.

This official narrative leaves the public with one of two conclusions. Either the U.S. military is a wholly inept force incapable of defending the country from even the most rudimentarily hostile elements, rendering it the greatest illusion and farce the world has ever seen. Or on the morning of September 11, forces within its own ranks purposely blocked, hamstrung, and prevented the military apparatus from carrying out its most basic defensive responsibilities. In light of what we know the military can and has done in Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc., in light of the plan they surely have in place to defend the skies from a potential massive enemy air-attack with striking power infinitely more powerful than that of four unarmed civilian jumbo jets, the first hypothesis is out. Which leaves behind the only logical scenario. That rogue elements from within the military and government leadership itself either stood down the military apparatus to let the events of September 11 occur on purpose. Or the same rogue elements planned, facilitated, and helped carry out the attacks themselves. Either one would be high treason and mass murder. And there is overwhelming evidence to back up both.

http://www.911hardfacts.com/report_12.htm

49 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Not the case. There was no doubt that fighter jets were scrambled within minutes of those planes being hijacked. The fact that they were not shot down was a decision on the part of King George II.

50 years from now, we'll find out that the F16's did shoot down the plane that crashed in PA.  But Cheney won't fess up to ordering it.

In this case, the simple reason was either insanity, or a very elaborate desire to kill himself and become a famous idiot in the process. Either way, he was off his meds, no doubt. A looney tune character, who hijacked a $33 million plane and destroyed it. Glad nobody on the ground was killed. Little sympathy for the suicidal thief. Oops. I do not know how to fly? 

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

50 years from now, we'll find out that the F16's did shoot down the plane that crashed in PA.  But Cheney won't fess up to ordering it.

I am sure that is what happened. No doubt. We will not protect the civilians in the World Trade Center towers, but when it comes to the Pentagon, the White House, or the House of Congress? Protect it at all costs! Thieves and crooks. Every single national political in America. Especially now. More than ever. The swamp has been re-populated by his own brand of alligators. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I am sure that is what happened. No doubt. We will not protect the civilians in the World Trade Center towers, but when it comes to the Pentagon, the White House, or the House of Congress? Protect it at all costs! Thieves and crooks. Every single national political in America. Especially now. More than ever. The swamp has been re-populated by his own brand of alligators. 

In fairness, they didn't know what the hijackers were going to do with the planes until the WTC got hit.  Twice.  I can see why they wouldn't have shot them down until they knew for sure it wasn't a hostage/ransom/free our fellow terrorist situation where there was a possibility of the passengers living through it.   But once the order was given, the American people deserve the truth.

17 minutes ago, impulse said:

In fairness, they didn't know what the hijackers were going to do with the planes until the WTC got hit.  Twice.  I can see why they wouldn't have shot them down until they knew for sure it wasn't a hostage/ransom/free our fellow terrorist situation where there was a possibility of the passengers living through it.   But once the order was given, the American people deserve the truth.

That is such a BS line of crap. Once the first tower was hit, they knew. They knew all they had to know, and they scrambled every fighter jet they could to protect Manhattan. There is no doubt in my mind, that Little George was told the second plane was heading for NYC, and the jet fighters were on it's tail, and he told them to stand down. It was the equivalent of FDR's Pearl Harbor. A beacon call to the American people, to start a much wanted war, by Cheney, Wolfowitz and Rumsfeld. I also have no doubt those nimwit warmongers made billions off the war. 15 years later, after trillions have been spent on Iraq and Afghanistan, please enlighten me as to what has been accomplished, except to leave over 3,500 coalition soldiers dead, tens of thousands wounded, or without limbs, tens or hundreds of thousands with PTSD, hundreds of thousands of dead civilians in both nations, a far stronger Taliban, the development of IS, and others, and two broken nations. 

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And do you have any specific reason to believe the government? Is there any particular reason why you trust the government?

No, but to simply trust the government more than you, until such time as you prove otherwise, please post credible links to support your assertion and I might change my mind, until such time.........

I find it hard to believe that just a mental instable guy has stolen this plane... sounds to me more like the cover-up from something else.

Radio conversation got published - well, who can proof that this was real or a fake???

Well, some day we might will hear the truth...

The only proofed facts are: the US govt already faked & lied about so many & really bigger incidents, isn't it?

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:
5 hours ago, atyclb said:

And do you have any specific reason to believe the government? Is there any particular reason why you trust the government? What have they done lately to earn that trust? Do you really believe that because the government did not acknowledge the presence of fighter jets, that is absolute proof that they were not following FAA protocol, and not there at all? 

Every commercial and civilian plane that takes to the air in the US, has to fill and file a specific flight plan. Along with this flight plan, there are required fixed points that the plane has to hit along the way, in oder to keep the skies safe and clear. When a plane misses one of those fixes, air traffic controllers are alerted, and they attempt to make contact with the pilot. If the pilot fails to respond appropriately, the military is contacted, and a fighter jet is usually scrambled to investigate. The military and NORAD are directly linked into the sophisticated radar and air traffic control systems of the FAA. And even a private pilot in a small off course plane will likely find one or two F-18s on their tail with ten minutes of unapproved movement. 

Before reviewing the military air defense response on 9/11, it is important to remember objectively what the 'official story' asks the public to believe. According to their narrative, on the morning of September 11, four enormous, fuel-laden, lumbering jumbo jets were hijacked by 19 Arab men with box-cutters and zero in-air flight experience. These slow, unmaneuverable planes were then flown for 1 hour and 45 minutes through the most restricted airspace in the world without eliciting a single military intercept. The most sophisticated military in the world, able to strike dime-sized targets from hundreds of miles away with laser-guided missiles, precision radar equipment, and state of the art aircraft capable of flying well over 1,300 mph, could not locate, engage, nor intercept four wandering jumbo jets. A military that has a budget larger than the combined military assets of every other country in the world could not scramble, intercept and engage any of the radically wayward planes. Even Flight 77, which was allowed to fly unimpeded and crash into the Pentagon one full hour after two jets had been flown into the Twin Towers in NYC, failed to elicit the response and intercept from any military jets. Nor, indeed, did flight 93. A plane that crashed in a Pennsylvania field 1 hour and 45 minutes after the first plane was confirmed hijacked.

This official narrative leaves the public with one of two conclusions. Either the U.S. military is a wholly inept force incapable of defending the country from even the most rudimentarily hostile elements, rendering it the greatest illusion and farce the world has ever seen. Or on the morning of September 11, forces within its own ranks purposely blocked, hamstrung, and prevented the military apparatus from carrying out its most basic defensive responsibilities. In light of what we know the military can and has done in Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc., in light of the plan they surely have in place to defend the skies from a potential massive enemy air-attack with striking power infinitely more powerful than that of four unarmed civilian jumbo jets, the first hypothesis is out. Which leaves behind the only logical scenario. That rogue elements from within the military and government leadership itself either stood down the military apparatus to let the events of September 11 occur on purpose. Or the same rogue elements planned, facilitated, and helped carry out the attacks themselves. Either one would be high treason and mass murder. And there is overwhelming evidence to back up both.

http://www.911hardfacts.com/report_12.htm

im the last perso that needs convincing of the above. would be interesting indeed to see that mexican news clip

1 minute ago, Torrens54 said:

FOX NEWS just couldn’t figure out the airplane was a Turbo/Prop,

they kept calling it a “Jet,” reporter after reporter...you’d think someone would have enlightened them.

well, they have to prop up their story with whatever they feel will get their own media story out there the quickest before all the others...

-  and get (turbo)shafted later by their competitional critics, for all and any qvik qvik qvik mistakes  made long the way

9 minutes ago, Torrens54 said:

they kept calling it a “Jet,” reporter after reporter...you’d think someone would have enlightened them.

Sadly when the “B” team is on in many newsrooms it becomes a case of, 

“First with the News, LAST with the Corrections.”

3 hours ago, sirineou said:
6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And do you have any specific reason to believe the government? Is there any particular reason why you trust the government?

No, but to simply trust the government more than you, until such time as you prove otherwise, please post credible links to support your assertion and I might change my mind, until such time.........

45 minutes ago, Torrens54 said:

What is the difference between a jet engine and a turboprop?
A: In very brief, a turbojet is a jet engine, a turboprop is a jet engine with apropeller atached to the front, and a turbofan is a jet engine with a fan attached to the front. ... The engine uses the propellers to produce more thrust. These are usually used on large cargo planes; propellers cannot go supersonic.

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

Conspiracy theories abound  and I am not about to argue all or any of them. 

You said and i quote " The major nightly news showed the fighter jets with a mile or two of the jets that crashed into the towers. That footage was not allowed on American news. "

The assertion being that the government had done it before and could have done it again in this instance..

I watched this whole video and nowhere did it say anythings about   any jet fighters. It made claims about the Physics of the collapse and assertions concerning it's cause with no one there to contradict them.  

So as it stands you have still have not provided any evidence that your initial claim is supported by any credible evidence. So I stand on my reply, that I don't always trust the government but in this instance , I trust the government more than I trust you. Provide credible evidence that what you said is true and I am willing to change my mind.

Archived