Thai medical insurance for Thai nieces

simon43

I have 2 nieces, aged 15 and 16.  Their parents have abandoned them and they no longer attend school, nor do they yet work.  So their income is precisely zero,  I support them to buy food etc. They currently live in a nice little bamboo shack that they built by the side of a road near Chachoengsao..

Is it possible to obtain some form of in-patient medical insurance for these girls?  Out-patient costs are fine for me to pay, but in the event of a serious accident or illness, the in-patient costs could be quite high, and there is no-one to pay the bills except me (if I so wish).  I do not think these girls are covered under the 30 baht scheme, since neither they nor their parents make any social contributions.

I have my own private medical insurance, but I don't want to add them to my policy - it could 'complicate' my own cover.  Nor do I want to take out any insurance policy that includes their layabout parents....  Oh, I have no legal custody or guardianship of these nieces either.

Any advice gratefully received.

If they pay social security they get insurance based on that, if they as you mention don't pay that they are eligible for the 30 baht scheme.

So there really is no reason for medical insurance for them.

So there really is no reason for medical insurance for them

Good news if it's true ? But how does the 30 baht scheme work for teens who have ID cards but have never registered at any hopsital?  I assume the first step is to get them registered at their hospital of choice.

10 hours ago, simon43 said:

Good news if it's true ? But how does the 30 baht scheme work for teens who have ID cards but have never registered at any hopsital?  I assume the first step is to get them registered at their hospital of choice.

Normally you go to the district office that issues Thai ID cards and they will assign them to a hospital/clinic.  It's not like a person can pick any hospital they want....wouldn't that be nice.   But they can go to any govt or private hospital for true emergency care.  The private hospital would provide the necessary emergency care for a few days until they could be transferred to a govt hospital.

Go to the Thai got National Health Security Office website for more info.

https://www.nhso.go.th/eng/FrontEnd/index.aspx

Archived