Questions about DSL phone line connecting wireless routers w/modem

Jingthing

Here's my story.

I've got an ancient DSL router that I bought from TOT.

Currently having serious connection problems and also an ailing cheap netbook that's literally opening up at the seam.

So it seems time to shop for both a new computer and modem.

I've done some troubleshooting and it looks like the connection problem is likely with the computer rather than the router mainly because I have another device that uses the net that is connected to the router and works. Yes I checked the wiring.

Anyway I don't need any help with choosing a new computer but I do need advice with the router / modem.

So anyway I've determined the specs I need - -

Combined wireless router / modem

Connection on unit for DSL phone line wire as before

A few Ethernet ports as well on case I want to physically connect some devices

So anyway I assume such routers are sold (not sure about the Ethernet ports though) and want advice on how to proceed.

I'd rather not deal with TOT to buy the modem but perhaps I should?

Wondering if a reasonable plan is to just buy such a router myself and then try to connect it. If there is a problem connecting (seems likely) then call TOT to help me connect it.

Does that sound like a decent plan?

Or perhaps people have a good reason that I need to call TOT first before buying a router?

If this is a good plan, any specific model suggestions meeting my specs?

Especially useful if you happen to be a TOT DSL customer that made a similar change.

Thanks for any responses.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'd rather not deal with TOT to buy the modem but perhaps I should?

I think you would find it easier and cheaper just to get whatever standard 4-port wifi modem/router TOT has to offer. They should configure it in their office for you for free, and set the wifi password to whatever you want, and all you would need to do is to plug it in when you get home.

Just be sure to get a 4-port wifi modem/router (ie one that has 4 identical ethernet sockets on the back). I doubt that it will cost more than 1000B and may even be free if you are nice to them and explain that you are still using a crappy old one.

My knowledge of TOT is minimal but I would expect any new modem provided by TOT to be VDSL compatible and depending on where you live you may find that you can upgrade to VDSL rather than stick with ADSL. VDSL is normally both faster and cheaper, though you would need to check the details. Whilst you are asking, ask whether fibre "to the home" is available in your building also. If it is, you should probably take it. Fibre "to the home" does require a totally different modem and a totally different connection, but from the main national suppliers (True, TOT, 3BB etc) it is superior in every way to xDSL. Only from local suppliers like cable companies would you need to be wary. TOT may offer you fibre "to the node" in the form of VDSL mentioned above, and that is fine also and does not normally require rewiring.

If you feel committed to sourcing a modem yourself, this one would do you for both ADSL and VDSL:

https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/18067/MODEM--โมเด็ม--D-LINK-ALL-IN-ONE-ADSL-VDSL-DUAL-BAND-AC750-ETHERNET-WAN--DSL-2877AL-

but at 2200B it is probably overkill for your needs. It would not be suitable on its own for fibre either, though it can be used in conjunction with a fibre modem.

I would just get the standard TOT one.

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Can you still get DSL Internet in Thailand from any provider?

I still have a high quality modem/router but no provider supports that anymore - at least in my region.

TOT and 3BB have A and V DSL available and widely in use by existing customers.

I think you would find it easier and cheaper just to get whatever standard 4-port wifi modem/router TOT has to offer. They should configure it in their office for you for free, and set the wifi password to whatever you want, and all you would need to do is to plug it in when you get home.

Just be sure to get a 4-port wifi modem/router (ie one that has 4 identical ethernet sockets on the back). I doubt that it will cost more than 1000B and may even be free if you are nice to them and explain that you are still using a crappy old one.

My knowledge of TOT is minimal but I would expect any new modem provided by TOT to be VDSL compatible and depending on where you live you may find that you can upgrade to VDSL rather than stick with ADSL. VDSL is normally both faster and cheaper, though you would need to check the details. Whilst you are asking, ask whether fibre "to the home" is available in your building also. If it is, you should probably take it. Fibre "to the home" does require a totally different modem and a totally different connection, but from the main national suppliers (True, TOT, 3BB etc) it is superior in every way to xDSL. Only from local suppliers like cable companies would you need to be wary. TOT may offer you fibre "to the node" in the form of VDSL mentioned above, and that is fine also and does not normally require rewiring.

If you feel committed to sourcing a modem yourself, this one would do you for both ADSL and VDSL:

https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/18067/MODEM--โมเด็ม--D-LINK-ALL-IN-ONE-ADSL-VDSL-DUAL-BAND-AC750-ETHERNET-WAN--DSL-2877AL-

but at 2200B it is probably overkill for your needs. It would not be suitable on its own for fibre either, though it can be used in conjunction with a fibre modem.

I would just get the standard TOT one.

OK.

Good answer.

Thanks.

Your post nudged me to call TOT help.

They were able to confirm that my DSL service is fully online and that as I already deduced my computer is the probable culprit.

They also surprise surprise encouraged me only to buy a router at TOT office because of possible compatibility issues.

So I guess that's OK.

On my current connection problem I need to decide whether to pay someone to try to fix my current computer or buy a new one. I did try to fix it myself with some of the online tips you can find but I failed so I would need help.

Good chance good money after bad. So it's probably computer shopping time.

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

OK.

Good answer.

Thanks.

Your post nudged me to call TOT help.

They were able to confirm that my DSL service is fully online and that as I already deduced my computer is the probable culprit.

They also surprise surprise encouraged me only to buy a router at TOT office because of possible compatibility issues.

So I guess that's OK.

On my current connection problem I need to decide whether to pay someone to try to fix my current computer or buy a new one. I did try to fix it myself with some of the online tips you can find but I failed so I would need help.

Good chance good money after bad. So it's probably computer shopping time.

It should be easy to check the functionality of your computer in a shop - probably for free.

And you should be able to test your internet at home with any other device.

When you know what is broken then you can decide how to spend your money.

It should be easy to check the functionality of your computer in a shop - probably for free.
And you should be able to test your internet at home with any other device.
When you know what is broken then you can decide how to spend your money.
Yeah but if you had one look at my device you'd understand my reluctance to even spend 20 baht bus return fare on it!

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There may be nothing wrong with the computer. If you are using wifi on it then it may just be the wifi channel that needs changing. Of course if more is wrong with it than just the internet connection, or if the ethernet socket doesn work on it either, then it may well be time to change it.

If you are going to change the router anyway then I would do that first because you may find that it solves the connection problem for the computer also, simply because the new router may use a different wifi channel.

They are right about that. If you buy the right one elsewhere (like the one in the link I provided) then it should also work fine, but you do need to get the right thing. If you get theirs there should be no issues.

Personally I use 3BB's modem/router as a simple modem with all other functions turned off, and connect it to my own much better router for wifi etc.  If ever I get fibre I will do the same.

Yeah but if you had one look at my device you'd understand my reluctance to even spend 20 baht bus return fare on it!

Does this mean we spent all that time and effort to help you with something which is not even worth 20B to you?

Does this mean we spent all that time and effort to help you with something which is not even worth 20B to you?

Ouch. Actually the primary question wasn't about fixing the computer. It was about buying a wireless router.

I had been mulling about the general situation. I guess I thought might as well get a wireless router anyway because that uses different parts of the computer to connect than wired.

But anyway riding home right now with a new machine.

As far as the idea of taking the old machine in it would actually be embarrassing. It looks like a piece of junk. It has a huge gap in the front exposing it's guts.

I can imagine a conversation.

My computer is broken.

No shit Sherlock!

Anyway I'm still interested in getting a wireless router.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Why? please.

Because they (sometimes) also supply models with only one ethernet socket on the back. Those tend to be very low spec and may be unsuitable if you have several devices that you want to share the internet connection with.

These days the single port ones are vanishingly rare, but you would not want to be given one if you had more than a couple of devices at home. Or at least you would want to be aware that you may need to add something to it to get them all working.

The four-port ones they supply are adequate for normal domestic set-ups. Anyone who wants/needs more ooomph (Gigabit ports, VPN clients, vast media sharing, large numbers of devices etc.) would need to look at something more expensive and better spec, like the one I linked to.

12 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Because they (sometimes) also supply models with only one ethernet socket on the back. Those tend to be very low spec and may be unsuitable if you have several devices that you want to share the internet connection with.

These days the single port ones are vanishingly rare, but you would not want to be given one if you had more than a couple of devices at home. Or at least you would want to be aware that you may need to add something to it to get them all working.

The four-port ones they supply are adequate for normal domestic set-ups. Anyone who wants/needs more ooomph (Gigabit ports, VPN clients, vast media sharing, large numbers of devices etc.) would need to look at something more expensive and better spec, like the one I linked to.

3BB told me that I needed a 4 port router if I wanted to connect up to 4 devices, LAN or wirelessly, and of course, that was more expensive than the one with just one port. All the phones connect wirelessly, as does my printer. What a load of borrox!

3BB told me that I needed a 4 port router if I wanted to connect up to 4 devices, LAN or wirelessly, and of course, that was more expensive than the one with just one port. All the phones connect wirelessly, as does my printer. What a load of borrox!

Well yeah but having more ports gives you flexibility for something you may not know you want to do yet.

In general in tech I think people are often pushed towards buying more than they need.

When I was shopping for a computer yesterday I had a look at a lower end machine which most likely would have worked for everything I need and the sales lady asked if I was shopping for a baby or myself. Yes an effective sales technique because I'm sure she knew I wasn't shopping for a baby but I ended up buying a better computer from another store.

More than I need but fun to have anyway.

Archived