Pattayaland bar closures

SidJames

1 hour ago, maxcorrigan said:

Thanks for the update Sid, have'nt been to that neck of the woods for many years and often wondered about Bob Palmer, what do you mean "threw the keys back in" do you mean got out of the bar game altogether?

Yes max.

He's retired from the game.

I've bumped into him while shopping in Friendship on few occasions since & he was in fine fettel with a smile & a joke

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew the Shamrock bar many many years ago when it first opened, sat with the owner in a dark street bereft of lights and life and asked him about the building rubble laying in the street telling him "are you sure you have done the right thing here?" Over the years saw the soi grow and prosper and at one time become the center of night life in that area.

Visited the other day, the road has been made up, it was all pretty quite and I could park right outside the Shamrock bar,  the New Orleans has gone and is now a tattoo parlor, the footpath next to the Shamrock is now impassable with old tables and chairs stacked up from some failed bar venture, very sad. On the good side the Shamrock still does a great breakfast   :smile:

18 hours ago, SidJames said:

Yes max.

He's retired from the game.

I've bumped into him while shopping in Friendship on few occasions since & he was in fine fettel with a smile & a joke

Thanks again Sid, good to know what happened to some of the old faces around Pattaya!

On 8/13/2018 at 3:56 PM, adammike said:

Brexit will be a fact when I arrive back home in the Netherlands guess my British passport means I line up in the non EU lines.Oh and I see the Euro is at a years low against the dollar and gone under 38 to the baht.happy days.

Your holiday was 20% more expensive since the referendum. 

On 8/13/2018 at 3:43 PM, jamie2009 said:

The Thais think they can open Bar after Bar, put a few girls outside charge what the like and the customers will flock in.

It costs them peanuts to do so and the girls can be circulated so yes, that's how it works. A couple of quiet bars aren't a disaster when the bosses are also raking in the profits in another bar round the corner. 

19 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

same thing happening in Bangkok, value of property in the entertainment districts are getting so expensive owners of bars can't afford the rent and close. What a shame

Prices went up sure, but there's still a similar number of bars in operation in Bangkok, and all the districts are intact with some bars thriving.

Pattayaland is an anomaly, never appeared to be very busy to me any time, since I first walked through there 15 or 20 years ago. Maybe it's the location, too near to walking street? Soi LK metro is an example of a much newer area that has thrived in recent years, again perhaps due to it's location and the special understanding that exists between the landlords and the authorities. 

11 minutes ago, adammike said:

How do you work that out?

The pound was in the 50s, rising to 55 just prior to the vote. Now around 42. The current rate is the lowest it's been since the mid 90s. Mind you, not quite sure from your post if you're bringing Euros, in which case you can ignore the comment. 

4 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

The pound was in the 50s, rising to 55 just prior to the vote. Now around 42. The current rate is the lowest it's been since the mid 90s. Mind you, not quite sure from your post if you're bringing Euros, in which case you can ignore the comment. 

I bring the euro I am a Brit but I live in the Netherlands,Since the euro came in it's been as low as baht32.93 in march 2002 when I paid a big hotel bill with my CC up to baht48 it was 43-45 for a few years.The best I have got for a pound was one for one some years ago so I spent a couple of grand on a laptop and a Barbour jacket and some boots saved about 500€.I do bring cash these days what with the ATM charges at both ends,it's guest houses in jomtien and forget gogo bars.

On 8/13/2018 at 9:10 AM, jamie2009 said:

One bar closes more open, Tree Town on Soi Bukhao, 2/3 new Bars there, the Soi leading down from the Kasikorn Bank to 2nd Road, new development of Bars there, must be a least 4/5 new Bars there.

on Soi Bukhao new development with poster saying Bar for Rent.

Maybe the developers know more than us, in my 4/5 years in Pattaya I have seen a big decline in Farang tourists even at the peak periods plus the expat community is dwindling and not being replaced.

And If $ v baht keeps falling at the rate it has over the last 4 years your gonna see a lot less

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:54 PM, thailand49 said:

Competition? and that drives Rent?

Nothing to do with competition. Thainess demands that no actual real life situation be taken into consideration when setting rents. Far better to be dreaming about the ( illusory ) profits to be made from a big new hotel or shopping mall.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:41 PM, lamyai3 said:

Prices went up sure, but there's still a similar number of bars in operation in Bangkok, and all the districts are intact with some bars thriving.

Pattayaland is an anomaly, never appeared to be very busy to me any time, since I first walked through there 15 or 20 years ago. Maybe it's the location, too near to walking street? Soi LK metro is an example of a much newer area that has thrived in recent years, again perhaps due to it's location and the special understanding that exists between the landlords and the authorities. 

Pattayaland was there before Walking St, and was big back then. LK Metro didn't even figure, but has become the place since many of the bar areas on Beach and the sois closed

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nothing to do with competition. Thainess demands that no actual real life situation be taken into consideration when setting rents. Far better to be dreaming about the ( illusory ) profits to be made from a big new hotel or shopping mall.

That is where we disagree it is competition  and I do agree somewhat with Thainess, see in this area whether you make it or not as a Thai owner it doesn't matter, they rent it to you with key money and let you improve the property for them and when it goes belly up they just put another sign up for rent based on what the last renter did in the same Soi.  that is their Thai competition if the last asking price is 50,000 baht a month regardless of the building condition they ask the same.  

I think we are pretty close on the same page?

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pattayaland was there before Walking St, and was big back then. LK Metro didn't even figure, but has become the place since many of the bar areas on Beach and the sois closed

Yes, can see it must have once been popular.

I have been offered a job in Lisbon , Portugal that pays €1700 monthly. I am actually considering it and maybe retiring in Portugal instead of Thailand. But I work from my laptop now and can stay anywhere I want really.

But take away the Thai girlfriend and there's not much else to cheer about here, Thailand is almost as expensive as Portugal , especially if you want to eat healthy quality food. Nice climate and beaches in Portugal. I'm considering it.

Just now, balo said:

I have been offered a job in Lisbon , Portugal that pays €1700 monthly. I am actually considering it and maybe retiring in Portugal instead of Thailand. But I work from my laptop now and can stay anywhere I want really.

But take away the Thai girlfriend and there's not much else to cheer about here, Thailand is almost as expensive as Portugal , especially if you want to eat healthy quality food. Nice climate and beaches in Portugal. I'm considering it.

Go for it. I have lived in Portugal prior to moving to Thailand, and if I didn't have obligations here that prevent me from moving, i would be back there in a whim.

I love Lisbon & the people are very friendly.

20 odd years ago Cais do Sodré was the red light area with short time rooms above the bars that lined both sides of the street.

Avenue Republica had hundreds upon hundreds of street walkers as did the small side streets.

All cleaned up now but still a great place to visit.

I wonder if Pattaya will go the same way as that or Pigalle in Paris, Reeperbahn In Hamburg, Soho & Shepherd's Market in London or 42nd St/Times Sq in Manhattan.

I don't doubt that there are still plenty of people still engaged in the oldest profession in the world in those places, it's just gone digital & off the streets.

I do miss the old Pattayaland where you would hear the bells ring out throughout the evening from various bars followed by the shrieks from the girls.

5 hours ago, balo said:

On the tourist side, three Norwegian couples I know and used to frequent Pattaya now go to Portugal instead and the comments seem to be "don't bother with Thailand anymore". Food, wine, clean beaches, perhaps on a lucky day the manolitos cause less havoc than somchais. If the women aren't a high priority, I'd go for it.

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

On the tourist side, three Norwegian couples I know and used to frequent Pattaya now go to Portugal instead and the comments seem to be "don't bother with Thailand anymore". Food, wine, clean beaches, perhaps on a lucky day the manolitos cause less havoc than somchais. If the women aren't a high priority, I'd go for it.

What's the winter weather like ie December to march in Portugal? I only choose Thailand nowdays to get away from the long dark nights in the Netherlands and as I live frugally it's affordable on my pension for two months.The bars have little interest anymore and forget gogo bars though I will probably have an evening in Nana or cowboy at the end of my trip.

1 hour ago, adammike said:

What's the winter weather like ie December to march in Portugal? I only choose Thailand nowdays to get away from the long dark nights in the Netherlands and as I live frugally it's affordable on my pension for two months.The bars have little interest anymore and forget gogo bars though I will probably have an evening in Nana or cowboy at the end of my trip.

Portugal can be cold and grey in the winter..Houses are.not well insulated unlike the UK 

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Couples? No reason to be in Pattaya.

22 minutes ago, The manic said:

Couples? No reason to be in Pattaya.

No reason anymore, for them it used to be the weather and somewhat cheap for a two week holiday, also used to be fairly convenient staying in Jomthien. Even the weather seems to suck these days.

Portugal?
- Winters only bearable in the very south. Forget the Atlantic Side of the country in winter.
- R/E prices have increased massively in the last couple of years (a nice "bubble" in the making).
- It's a catholic country, the Ladies are "conservative", in case that matters. Even the toned-down Pattayaland of today will appear "exiting" in comparison.
Otherwise, Portugal is worth taking a closer look.
Cheers.

11 hours ago, SidJames said:

I love Lisbon & the people are very friendly.

20 odd years ago Cais do Sodré was the red light area with short time rooms above the bars that lined both sides of the street.

Avenue Republica had hundreds upon hundreds of street walkers as did the small side streets.

All cleaned up now but still a great place to visit.

I wonder if Pattaya will go the same way as that or Pigalle in Paris, Reeperbahn In Hamburg, Soho & Shepherd's Market in London or 42nd St/Times Sq in Manhattan.

I don't doubt that there are still plenty of people still engaged in the oldest profession in the world in those places, it's just gone digital & off the streets.

I do miss the old Pattayaland where you would hear the bells ring out throughout the evening from various bars followed by the shrieks from the girls.

Quote: "I do miss the old Pattayaland where you would hear the bells ring out throughout the evening from various bars followed by the shrieks from the girls."

I remember those times vividly. It was a time when "westerners" had good (stable) jobs back home and money to spare.

These days, they ring the bell when they return home and find nothing in the mailbox that would indicate that their salary has  been cut in the meantime and no "Company Re-Organisation" is planned in the near future.

During my last holiday, not once have I been present in a "Bell-Ringing" situation.?

Cheers.

2 hours ago, swissie said:

Quote: "I do miss the old Pattayaland where you would hear the bells ring out throughout the evening from various bars followed by the shrieks from the girls."

I remember those times vividly. It was a time when "westerners" had good (stable) jobs back home and money to spare.

These days, they ring the bell when they return home and find nothing in the mailbox that would indicate that their salary has  been cut in the meantime and no "Company Re-Organisation" is planned in the near future.

During my last holiday, not once have I been present in a "Bell-Ringing" situation.?

Cheers.

Bell ringing is common at Scooters bars

Archived