How to cure dog itchiness

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

NO!  The dog would lick it off, and I doubt this would be good for them.

Could put a plastic cone on her for 20 minutes and then brush any excess powder off? I don't mind using the cones for short periods, like when I was bathing her with the poisonous Malaseb shampoo.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if all else fails. It would certainly be the cheap option!

Thinking about that now, did anybody ever try the standard Snake Brand prickly heat cooling powder that most of us use from time to time on a scratching dog? I wonder if that would work?

You should not take it as a last resort if everything else fails. It´s proven to work, and it will definately not be bad for your dogs skin or health. I would not suggest the power you are mentioning, because I would like to think that might irritate the dogs skin more than help the situation.

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Unfortunately, skin problems in dogs are very common here - and the cause is always (?) eventually put down to environmental allergies.

I've known a few dogs with 'red' tummies that (after consulting vets), we all eventually put down to the heat and environment.  The vet did provide a 'soothing' cream (sorry, I can't remember the name of the cream given), that helped.

One of my remaining dogs scratches the sides of her body and goes bald in these areas.  She's on Apoquel tablets, and they work - but by lowering the immune system.  Far from ideal....

My other dog frequently whines and chews at her lower legs.  The vet didn't know why either, but I found that applying Aloe Vera (direct from the plant) helped soothe the irritation.  Perhaps she is being bitten by ants which causes the irritation?

Hence my interest in 'Stinky Stuff' and how to obtain the product.

Yeah, we went to a vet first too. She sold us a cream and a schampoo that cost 500 bath for 14 days. Ok, it worked, but the soap a changed to which I mentioned in the post before yours, is working same good and only 30 bath for a month.

You need to think like  a vet and start to isolate the cause by methodical elimination.

The 3 main causes are parasites, allergies, infections.

Try to examine the dogs skin and coat, looking for evidence of fleas and ticks, dry flaky skin ,use your hands to feel for spots . A reasonable test for scabies is the pinnal pedal reflex, gently rub the extreme of ears using thumb and forefinger.If the back legs raise in an attempt to scratch this is almost confirmation of scabies.Failure of this test does not exclude the presence of scabies

If the apparent improvement initially seen was due to the antibiotics and not the steroids, this would suggest a microbial infection. This would require a full course of antibiotics  not one or two tablets.

For allergies a determination of type ,environment or food , is required. To test  for food change to a completely different diet, but ensure animal is getting a good balance of essentials.

20 hours ago, Get Real said:

You should not take it as a last resort if everything else fails. It´s proven to work, and it will definately not be bad for your dogs skin or health. I would not suggest the power you are mentioning, because I would like to think that might irritate the dogs skin more than help the situation.

OK, nothing to lose so I just bought a bar. I didn't know whether to go for the regular formula or the 'soothing cool' version. The latter sounds OK so I got her that.

IMG_20180815_140646.jpg.95ed063963c4f5bc625edff46d082abd.jpg

The trouble is that I'm taking her for her annual shots on Friday and for a week after that the vet tells me not to bath her, so it'll be a while now until I see whether it works or not.

44 minutes ago, Guderian said:

OK, nothing to lose so I just bought a bar. I didn't know whether to go for the regular formula or the 'soothing cool' version. The latter sounds OK so I got her that.

IMG_20180815_140646.jpg.95ed063963c4f5bc625edff46d082abd.jpg

The trouble is that I'm taking her for her annual shots on Friday and for a week after that the vet tells me not to bath her, so it'll be a while now until I see whether it works or not.

I and everybody else I recommend to used the original green one without any cooling, so I can not say how this one will work. I would recommend you to buy the original green soap as you say you still have to wait. You will also see the effect immediately, like after maybe 2-3 days if you bath the dog 2 days in a row the first days. If it work it will say. Of course I can not guarantee 100%, but its not been one person that said it not worked so far.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Both the steroids and antibiotics worked, at least while she was taking them. Would steroids work on a bacterial problem?

It is possible the symptoms of bacterial infection will improve with the taking of steroids.  To understand this , consider  a normal immune reaction will produce white blood cells leading to inflammation and the itching sensation. The affect of steroids is to lower this immune response , thus lowering inflammation and an improvement in itching symptoms.

1 minute ago, cleopatra2 said:

It is possible the symptoms of bacterial infection will improve with the taking of steroids.  To understand this , consider  a normal immune reaction will produce white blood cells leading to inflammation and the itching sensation. The affect of steroids is to lower this immune response , thus lowering inflammation and an improvement in itching symptoms.

Since I saw the antibiotics work I've thought that this was a bacterial problem, that just seems to confirm it thanks.

19 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Since I saw the antibiotics work I've thought that this was a bacterial problem, that just seems to confirm it thanks.

Apologies,  I was not clear. the immune response may be attributed to  a variety of causes just not bacterial and the same improvement seen due to the steroid.

As regards using soap and shampoo , keep in mind that a dogs skin is around PH7 , anything more acidic will remove the skin natural essential oils .

Shampoos need to reach the skin surface and remain for a minimum length of time to be effective , 5 - 10 minutes before rinsing.

With regards the soap containing menthol, be aware the animal will not appreciate the  menthol aroma ,

9 hours ago, jvs said:

Try this,cheap and effective.Many dog owners are using it!!!

the treatment I've seen to work for mange, and would never have believed it, is covering the dog in engine oil. not a joke.

9 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

the treatment I've seen to work for mange, and would never have believed it, is covering the dog in engine oil. not a joke.

Yes used engine oil was used to treat cattle,i would never use it on a dog.

Masaleb shampoo seems to be the treatment vets default to for skin problems.  I had a border collie that developed pretty bad skins problems.  Over several years and seeing multiple vets, to include vets specialized in skin problems, all kinds of treatment were tried to include Masaleb, steroids, various shampoos for skin critters, etc.  The border collie was a house dog....in a house that had air conditioning....only time outside was for daily walks on the side walks....not a dog that stays outside all day where they can pickup all kinds of skin critters and infections.

Then one day during an annual checkup a vet recommend Advocate by Bayer.  Started using it and within 2 weeks my border collies problem got significantly better and within a month completely gone.  Stayed gone until his death of old age years latter.

I feel the problem was a skin parasite deep in the skin that none of the vets ever detected and none of the shampoo type treatments soaked deep into the skin for long enough to kill the parasite.

To this day I use Advocate by Bayer on my dogs....and I use it at half strength.

More info at the Bayer website

https://www.advocate-spot-on.com/en/advocate/

What are the active ingredients in advocate® for dogs and advocate® for cats?
Advocate® for dogs: 10% imidacloprid & 2.5% moxidectin. Advocate® for cats: 10% imidacloprid & 1% moxidectin.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:34 PM, dick dasterdly said:

Unfortunately, skin problems in dogs are very common here - and the cause is always (?) eventually put down to environmental allergies.

I've known a few dogs with 'red' tummies that (after consulting vets), we all eventually put down to the heat and environment.  The vet did provide a 'soothing' cream (sorry, I can't remember the name of the cream given), that helped.

One of my remaining dogs scratches the sides of her body and goes bald in these areas.  She's on Apoquel tablets, and they work - but by lowering the immune system.  Far from ideal....

My other dog frequently whines and chews at her lower legs.  The vet didn't know why either, but I found that applying Aloe Vera (direct from the plant) helped soothe the irritation.  Perhaps she is being bitten by ants which causes the irritation?

Hence my interest in 'Stinky Stuff' and how to obtain the product.

www.stinky-stuff.co.uk is where I bought it. They have a trial pack for 29 gbp on the site just now. Probably best try that. I bought the large tub of lotion for skin and the ear drops before. From what I gather it is mostly made up of herbs, garlic and a kind of olive oil . I did see somewhere people making similar stuff themselves online and some just recommended olive oil .

5 hours ago, Pib said:

Masaleb shampoo seems to be the treatment vets default to for skin problems.  I had a border collie that developed pretty bad skins problems.  Over several years and seeing multiple vets, to include vets specialized in skin problems, all kinds of treatment were tried to include Masaleb, steroids, various shampoos for skin critters, etc.  The border collie was a house dog....in a house that had air conditioning....only time outside was for daily walks on the side walks....not a dog that stays outside all day where they can pickup all kinds of skin critters and infections.

Then one day during an annual checkup a vet recommend Advocate by Bayer.  Started using it and within 2 weeks my border collies problem got significantly better and within a month completely gone.  Stayed gone until his death of old age years latter.

I feel the problem was a skin parasite deep in the skin that none of the vets ever detected and none of the shampoo type treatments soaked deep into the skin for long enough to kill the parasite.

To this day I use Advocate by Bayer on my dogs....and I use it at half strength.

Advocate® for dogs: 10% imidacloprid & 2.5% moxidectin. Advocate® for cats: 10% imidacloprid & 1% moxidectin.

That's interesting, thanks, but it sounds very similar to the Frontline Plus treatment that's common here for flea and tick control. My dog used that for several years until around 15 months ago she got bitten by an infected tick and ended up with parasites in her blood. Luckily I quickly spotted that something was wrong and rushed her to the vet, who was happily able to save her. Apparently over time ticks are building up resistance to Frontline so the vet moved my dog to Nex Gard and Nex Gard Spectra on 3-month rotating cycles. I see the Bayer Advocate is quite cheap, just 550 Baht for 3 doses, so I'd be happy to try it but given that the dog is already on Nex Gard I'd have to ask the vet first, I doubt it would be wise to give her them both at the same time.

7 minutes ago, Guderian said:

That's interesting, thanks, but it sounds very similar to the Frontline Plus treatment that's common here for flea and tick control. My dog used that for several years until around 15 months ago she got bitten by an infected tick and ended up with parasites in her blood. Luckily I quickly spotted that something was wrong and rushed her to the vet, who was happily able to save her. Apparently over time ticks are building up resistance to Frontline so the vet moved my dog to Nex Gard and Nex Gard Spectra on 3-month rotating cycles. I see the Bayer Advocate is quite cheap, just 550 Baht for 3 doses, so I'd be happy to try it but given that the dog is already on Nex Gard I'd have to ask the vet first, I doubt it would be wise to give her them both at the same time.

We had tried Frontline Plus also....it didn't help.  But Advocate did...it was like magic.  The vet that recommend Advocate was at the Mahidol University Animal Hospital here in Bangkok.   Whether Advocate will work for your dog, I couldn't say.

Go to this Bayer website and compare Advocate against various products as to what type of skin critters they kill.  And although it says Advocate does not kill ticks, after I started using it on the border collie and two Chihuahuas they never had another tick until the day they died of old age.  Before I started using Advocate I would find ticks on them every week or so....or should I say my wife would find ticks as she was always looking for them.  After a few months of using Advocate she stopped looking because she could never find any.    Your results may vary.

https://www.advocate-spot-on.com/en/compare/dog.php

Have a German Sheppard with identical problems. Nothing, complete nothing helps. For an other case she takes already 8 years Atopica( cyclosporine ).

we tried exactly the same treatment with shampoo and pills as yours...nothing!

Now we just start with a product ( we bring from Europe) in which they have good results. We just wait en hope that Velcote gives the dog relief 

Used corticosteroids cream on a dog with itching and redness.

Sorry,  the name is written down back in oz.

Applied small amounts only and made sure dog couldn't lick the area.  May be why your dog had bad reaction. Maybe don't give up on steroid creams since they can work so well.

We use sulphur and coconut oil.  I resisted the suggestion even as it sounded stupid and refused to do it until I had tried everything else and failed.   Buy a funnel collar from a vet to stop her licking it off.  This year we have had a lot of problems with several of our 6 dogs.  It is the only thing that seems to really work.  It is not expensive and not toxic (unless they eat a real lot of it).  Go to an old fashioned Thai pharmacy, not one of the mall chains.  They all have it and being pharmacists usually speak English and will know what you are doing.  Crush all the little lumps out of the sulphur with a fork or teaspoon as they will not wet properly with the oil.  Mix oil to a paste & rub it in .  Leave it on several hours.  It is messy while it is on but it doesnt smell bad.  It really knocks the itch right off and if hair is dropping out it starts to grow back in a few days.   I have one dog (not ours, my sister in laws dog but she wont look after her) to do again tomorrow & she destroyed the plastic collar last time I did her about 6 weeks ago, little darling.  It is usually not an all year round problem.   Hot humid weather brings it on usually.  Good luck.  P.S.  I recognise two of the bottles you used.   Malase seemed to work a bit but needs doing twice a week, is expensive and toxic if I remember right.

13 hours ago, Brayka said:

Have a German Sheppard with identical problems. Nothing, complete nothing helps. For an other case she takes already 8 years Atopica( cyclosporine ).

we tried exactly the same treatment with shampoo and pills as yours...nothing!

Now we just start with a product ( we bring from Europe) in which they have good results. We just wait en hope that Velcote gives the dog relief 

My neighbor had one and he spent an absolute fortune on treatments for skin conditions . I also know of several people who have had that breed here and all had skin conditions . The breed does not do very well here in this country for some reason.

On 8/16/2018 at 10:17 AM, Pib said:

Moxidectin can be fatal when given to herding breeds , such as collies

6 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

Moxidectin can be fatal when given to herding breeds , such as collies

Yeap...when used at high levels and have a certain mutated gene.  Advocate and similar products do use at high levels of Moxidectin.

image.png.11db3afced6d8ed73ea28ba9ac322327.png

I asked the vet about Advocate. She said they used to sell it but found that it wasn't helpful for dogs with itching problems. Of course, YMMV with different dogs, but as mine is already taking Nex Gard I don't want to overload her.

She just had her annual shots so I can't bath her for a week now but I thought she was scratching less with the Neem tree oil shampoo. It's probably wishful thinking on my part, but I'll continue with that for a few weeks and see if it really works. The weird thing is that immediately after shampooing and drying her she goes a little bit crazy as if she's itching everywhere, but then it settles down and I fancied that she was scratching less than usual.

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2018 at 9:48 AM, jvs said:

Yes used engine oil was used to treat cattle,i would never use it on a dog.

diesel too, but old engine oil ,has more sulpher content,keep on for two hours . Ekto-tak  (get it from Lazada) is a powerful mite killer,  but sounds like a steroid solution,works but shortens dogs life

• 4 months later...

Archived