Transfer Money Within Thailand

I am about to transfer 700K Baht from my Kasikorn bank account here in Pattaya to my Bangkok bank account also here in Pattaya.

I have tranferred money many times here in Thailand, but for much smaller amounts.

Is there a method you would recommend that will ensure this money arrives safely?

A money transfer order or something that I could hand carry to the Bangkok Bank branch.

Maybe I am being a bit over cautious and I should just use the normal transfer method.

What could go wrong???

Thanks for your help.

Banks limit daily transfer amounts so you will need to make numerous transfers over several days if you use the bank transfer system. Anything over 50,000 I go to a mall that has both banks and withdraw at the counter and then deposit to BBL.

No special method necessary.

Take you passport and bank book and visit your K-bank branch.

Fill the transfer form, carefully check the amount and Bangkok Bank account number.

When slip returned check again.

I would be more than stunned if there is a limit on the transfer amount at the bank desk.

On the other hand, the "mall with both banks" is OK too.

Central on beach rd. would be my choice. Safe and convenient. Just don't go at peak times like weekend/month end/beginning.

In this case have both bankbooks with you.

Also eliminates the chance to have an error in the account number.

Some bag/briefcase for carrying.

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

No special method necessary.

Take you passport and bank book and visit your K-bank branch.

Fill the transfer form, carefully check the amount and Bangkok Bank account number.

When slip returned check again.

Not sure but I think they will also charge you 3/400 baht for the privilege doing it this way?

Or maybe not if same province as this is?

Nemises, thanks for the reply.

I have just had some problems extending my visa based on marriage.

I am fed up with the hassle of it - I have been doing this for 14 years now and there always seems to be a new rule to adhere to.

So I am switching to the retirement extension.

I will do the extension next week.

I will have to prove the money has been in Thailand for 2 or 3 months - so I figured by doing a transfer there would be a paper trail to prove this.

AsiaExpat, thanks for the reply. Sounds like a good method. As I explained above - I was trying to keep the paper trail if possible.

I don't know that it matters that much though.

The money will be in the savings account in one bank and moved to the new bank on the same day even if I withdraw it and carry it do the

new bank.

KhunBenq. Thanks for the reply. I am being a bit over cautious perhaps, They always show me the screen when I am doing a smaller transfer and I check it is going to the right person - so what is different now. Yes you are right - I just need to make sure I have filled the form in correctly and check the screen as ususal.

When I do internet transfers I usually transfer just a small amount initially - 10 pounds say - to make sure that arrives OK and then do the major transfer when the 10 pounds has arrived 'safely'.

topt - thanks for the reply. I think I always get charged for transfers

to other banks - as this would be.

I think I will do it as several transfers over a few days. It won't take that much extra time and I can make sure each transfer arrives before I do the next one OR draw out the money in one go and walk to the other

bank nearby.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice - much appreciated.

3 hours ago, topt said:

Not sure but I think they will also charge you 3/400 baht for the privilege doing it this way?

Or maybe not if same province as this is?

No fee in this case.

Withdrawal and deposit in same province.

I did such this some years ago at our local Tesco (SCB and Bangkok Bank a few meters apart).

And yes, deposit at Kasikorn branch in different province cost me 340 Baht for 340'000 Baht. I don't know whether it is always this 0.1%.

13 hours ago, dsfbrit said:

I will have to prove the money has been in Thailand for 2 or 3 months - so I figured by doing a transfer there would be a paper trail to prove this.

Careful. I have seen reports that immigration want to see the cash in ONE account for the entire period.

Please check in the Thai Visas Forum, here :-

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/1-thai-visas-residency-and-work-permits/

Jesus....... Babbage would be turning in his grave!!

I do NOT want a paper trail so the only option is to take out (large amounts of) cash from one bank and walk next door to the other bank and deposit it. .....Sorry Babbage.

6 minutes ago, Nemises said:

I do NOT want a paper trail so the only option is to take out (large amounts of) cash from one bank and walk next door to the other bank and deposit it. .....Sorry Babbage.

Fair comment.....

16 hours ago, dsfbrit said:

I am fed up with the hassle of it - I have been doing this for 14 years now and there always seems to be a new rule to adhere to.

I think that as Crossy has said the money needs to be single account for the whole 3 month period (possibly 2 but it's unclear which if you are changing reasons). There have been reports of it being in the same bank but in a term account so when the term account finished it went in to another account in the same bank but had a different account number. So the extension was refused.

You have almost certainly left it too late to change this year unless your Kasikorn account has had a sufficient balance for the 3 months.

18 hours ago, dsfbrit said:

Don't walk around with case, your bank can transfer the funds, safer, let the do it all, just check everything before you sign.

As for you switching from spouse to retirement, my Mrs never complains when she gets all the paperwork organised for me when we do our marriage extension, originally I came off the retirement extension, too easy for the buggers, they talked us into for the 1st time when I wanted the spouse one, that said, they could see I was reluctant and said because it had to go to Bangkok and wouldn't be ready for 30 days, so you have to do a marriage extension, and you could do the spouse extension next year, so we did, and we came back a year later and switched, they weren't happy, not our problem, once a paper shuffler, always a paper shuffler, and we have never had a problem with new rules, Just keep reading post here on TVF and someone will tell us.

4 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

I did a transfer of 1million THB from my TMB to SCB here in Pattaya a few years back....just got a big bag and walked it over from one bank to the other....took longer to count it all out at the banks than to do the walking ATM transfer...lol...??

Why did you need "a big bag" when B1m will easily fit in a small bag?

On 8/12/2018 at 8:36 PM, dsfbrit said:

Is there a method you would recommend that will ensure this money arrives safely?

A cashier's check of 700k baht, issued in your name and crossed, will be easy to carry, and can only be cashed in your account...?

– however, there might be a small fee for a check, so cash might be cheaper, and 700k in 1k paper-notes, don't take up much space...?

20 hours ago, dsfbrit said:

I doubt that will work, normally your fund need to be in the account for the maturing period. However, there's no problem in showing the total of 800k baht from two or more accounts, you'll just need a letter, and account statement, from each bank (talk from experience)...?

On 8/13/2018 at 2:31 AM, Nemises said:

Why transfer?
Just go to the bank, do a cash withdrawal and take it yourself to the other bank.

Just did this today, 600K from KBank to BBL, car parked near the door, inside the building of the other bank. It's booked immediately not like cashiers checks, don't like doing it in malls, too crowded. Did it in Hat Yai tough, maybe far more dangerous in Pattaya..

Archived