Splits deepen over British minister Johnson's burqa comments

webfact

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/15/2018 at 12:20 AM, 7by7 said:

As have those who want to dictate to other people what they can and cannot wear in public!

Particularly the wahabbist husbands who dictate to their wives what they must wear in public, and who have the koranic right to beat their wives for non-conformance to the wahabbi dress code.

9 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Particularly the wahabbist husbands who dictate to their wives what they must wear in public, and who have the koranic right to beat their wives for non-conformance to the wahabbi dress code.

And you have proof that all or most of the women wearing burqas are doing this out of fear of being beaten and not because they subscribe to what they believe are the religious tenets obliging them to do so? 

7 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

And you have proof that all or most of the women wearing burqas are doing this out of fear of being beaten and not because they subscribe to what they believe are the religious tenets obliging them to do so?

And you have proof they don't?

I have offered you many links and quotes, usually from muslim academics and scholars about this. You are free to read them.

1 minute ago, My Thai Life said:

I have offered you many links and quotes, usually from muslim academics and scholars about this. You are free to read them.

You're the one who made the assertion. It's your responsibility to provide it. If you have evidence, post links to it here. Don't expect others to go through the laborious process of checking on your previous posts to dig up alleged evidence to back up your assertions.

4 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

I already have, several links, and direct quotes, often from muslim academics. It's up to you whether you read them or not.

It is unreasonable and clearly evasive to make claims that can only be verified by making someone else spend an inordinate amount of time checking on their relevance. An honorable person would, simply out of sense of decency and consideration for others, take a few moments to offer up evidence that it could take others hours to track down. That you bizarrely refuse to do this, does not augur well for the quality of your alleged evidence.

18 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

You're the one who made the assertion. It's your responsibility to provide it. If you have evidence, post links to it here. Don't expect others to go through the laborious process of checking on your previous posts to dig up alleged evidence to back up your assertions.

Do you trully believe that when challenged and asked " are you receptive to the radical ideals and sympathetic to the terrorist agenda?"  they'll not answer " no, of course!"

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

It is unreasonable and clearly evasive to make claims that can only be verified by making someone else spend an inordinate amount of time checking on their relevance.

That's an accurate description of your tactics on this forum, often coupled with one liners.

On this and the related thread I have posted numerous links, and direct quotes, often from muslim academics. If you chose not to read them that's up to you, but I'm not going to keep on re-posting them for you.

2 minutes ago, Opl said:

Do you trully believe that when challenged and asked " are you receptive to the radical ideals and sympathetic to the terrorist agenda?"  they'll not answer " no, of course!"

I was actually question my Thai_Life_Life's assertion that these women are wearing burkas because they are forced to by their husbands. You are taking exactly the opposite line to him.

17 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I was actually question my Thai_Life_Life's assertion that these women are wearing burkas because they are forced to by their husbands. You are taking exactly the opposite line to him.

So what if I give my opinion since I follow the thread?

I - on this topic fully agree with My Thai Life: we here living in non muslim western societies stand up against political Islam violence, terror and oppressive social attitudes the burqa is a statement for. 

On 8/14/2018 at 6:26 PM, 7by7 said:

Some Muslim women do not like the burka or niqab, others do and choose to wear it.

Boris Johnson's burka jibe: Why do some Muslim women wear the veil?

You refuse to say where you live, but I live in the UK which is a free country; a country where people can wear what they want; and long may it continue to be so.

I cannot wear a balaclava or mask or crash helmet in many locations. Nor can I go bare headed on a motor bike. The burqa which is forced on young girls is a vile manifestation of grotesque sexism which even views children as potential objects of men's sexual desire. The women who claim to love the Burqa are brainwashed and suffering from Stockholm syndrome. The Afghan style Burqa causes terrible permanent eye damage. The other all enveloping dark garments for women lead to a lack of Vitamin D. It is noticeable that the Islamic  rules for modesty are enforced for women but not men. Such clothing is oppressive and dehumanizing and far from.protesting women in the MENA region leads to them being, molested,  targeted and victimised.

On 8/14/2018 at 10:32 PM, superal said:

I will not go into detail but whenever I get into a discussion with true Brits regarding the state of the UK it always focuses on influences to the main stream that have been brought about by cultural differences and the stance taken by other races to retain their identity in their new  country of plenty . There is no intention to adjust their ways to some sort of compromise but instead strive to gain superiority . The burka is only the tip of the iceberg . The future for the younger generation of UK indigenous  folk is scary .

Read the links below:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/british-muslims-ipsos-mori-liberal-imams-islam-a8334196.html

https://theconversation.com/hard-evidence-how-british-do-british-muslims-feel-46431

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2012/jul/03/muslims-integrated-britain

7 minutes ago, Opl said:

I - on this topic fully agree with My Thai Life: we here living in non muslim western societies stand against political Islam violence, terror and oppressive social attitudes the burqa is a statement for. 

Yeah. That's what makes forums cool banana. All the opinions in a pot. My opinion. Go the other way. The whole Western world needs to start wearing full face veils. I'm sick of the sight of all your ugly mugs. But serious, the more you try to stop someone, the more determined. Who wants to be told what to do?

9 minutes ago, Opl said:

I - on this topic fully agree with My Thai Life: we here living in non muslim western societies stand against political Islam violence, terror and oppressive social attitudes the burqa is a statement for. 

I'm not quarreling with your right to post an opinion. Just that in this case it was very inapt.

52 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

The Burqa is cultural not religious but based on Bedouin ideas of dress codes.

34 minutes ago, The manic said:

The Burqa is cultural not religious but based on Bedouin ideas of dress codes.

I suspect that the women who wear them would mostly disagree with you. But whether that's true or not, when it comes to questions of faith, evidence of an historical or scientific nature is besides the point.

1 hour ago, My Thai Life said:

That's an accurate description of your tactics on this forum, often coupled with one liners.

Really? can you point to a post of mine where I claim an unidentified source supports me, then refuse to provide a link to it or a link about it?  Or claim that I've posted it elsewhere and that should be sufficient? 

5 hours ago, My Thai Life said:
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, 7by7 said:

Do you not remember the furore over Life of Brian when it was first released?

I do remember when Life of Brian was released. There was some reaction, but not a furore.

However, imagine what the reaction would be to "Life of Mohammed" - fatwas, riots, beheadings, bombs. And lots of tantrums besides

I dealt with this the last time you said it!

11 hours ago, 7by7 said:
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:49 AM, My Thai Life said:
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, 7by7 said:

Do you not remember the furore over Life of Brian when it was first released?

Yes I can remember Life of Brian's release, "furore" is a wild exaggeration,

Then you not only have a poor memory, but haven't read the quotes in my post, let alone the actual article!

Another reminder:-

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:49 AM, My Thai Life said:

But can you imagine "Life of Muhammad" being made without fatwas, riots and terrorist acts?

There have been many; from dramatisations to documentaries. This list is 6 years old, so is not complete: List of Western Films about the Prophet Muhammad

Why are you repeating yourself and ignoring responses to the last time you said it?

2 hours ago, My Thai Life said:
5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

‘Life of Brian’ 

How do you get from that to ‘Life of Mohammed’?

Any British person, or any fan of Monty Python would know ?

Any British person, Python fan or no, would know that they emphatically denied the film was about Christ.

Any Python fan, British or no, would also know that.

Anyone who has seen the film, Python fan or no, British or no, would also know that.

A reminder that there have been many films about Mohammed without causing the events you describe, which must be a great disappointment to you.

The burka and niqab are indefensible in countries that try to support equal rights for men and women.

As pointed out by an earlier poster, only women wear this pointless piece of cloth over their face - not their menfolk....

The earlier video provided on this thread where young, educated, Moslem women 'explained' why they chose to wear the burka, made no logical sense at all.  It just made it very clear that they were stupid and/or uninformed -and definitely ridiculous on this subject.

Quite apart from the various other problems that people have with the burka and nikab - it is an affront to equality.

2 hours ago, My Thai Life said:
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:20 PM, 7by7 said:

As have those who want to dictate to other people what they can and cannot wear in public!

I have never denied that there are some British Muslim men who are domestic abusers, indeed have said as much in the other topic. But most are not.

Of course, domestic abuse isn't confined to Islam; just ask Yaxley-Lennon's wife, but only where he can't hear you.

Why do you ignore the fact that many (most?) British Muslim women who wear a burka or niqab do so of their own free will?

Simple; because acknowledging that simple truth would destroy your whole hate filled argument.

4 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I dealt with this the last time you said it!

Why are you repeating yourself and ignoring responses to the last time you said it?

A VERY few christian reactionaries/extremists kicked up a fuss about Life of Brian.

The rest of us thought it hilariously funny, and had no doubt that those making the fuss were silly extremists.

5 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Any British person, Python fan or no, would know that they emphatically denied the film was about Christ.

Any Python fan, British or no, would also know that.

Anyone who has seen the film, Python fan or no, British or no, would also know that.

A reminder that there have been many films about Mohammed without causing the events you describe, which must be a great disappointment to you.

Are you seriously saying that Life of Brian had nothing to do with the story of Jesus Christ?

If so, why on earth did a few christian extremists kick up a fuss about it??

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

A VERY few christian reactionaries/extremists kicked up a fuss about Life of Brian.

The rest of us thought it hilariously funny, and had no doubt that those making the fuss were silly extremists.

In 1981 the Moslem council of great Britain tried to have it banned because it mocked their second most important prophet.

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Really?

"The Roman Catholic Church denounced the film and gave it their own rating – “C” for “Condemned”. Brian was banned in several countries, including Norway. This famously led to the film being marketed in Sweden as, “The film so funny it’s been banned in Norway.” "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8833320/The-Life-of-Brian-When-Monty-Python-took-on-God.html

Just look at their husbands who do have this freedom, and what are they wearing? Baseball caps with emblems from USA origin (fake), Ferrari T shirts (fake) and Nike sneakers (fake). Maybe they don’t “believe” as much as their women?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

Really?

"The Roman Catholic Church denounced the film and gave it their own rating – “C” for “Condemned”. Brian was banned in several countries, including Norway. This famously led to the film being marketed in Sweden as, “The film so funny it’s been banned in Norway.” "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8833320/The-Life-of-Brian-When-Monty-Python-took-on-God.html

Exactly.  A few extremists tried to ban the film and presumably (?) failed.

I suspect (but obviously don't know) that there are VERY few people in Western countries that haven't seen the film - and found it hilariously funny.

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

The burka and niqab are indefensible in countries that try to support equal rights for men and women.

As pointed out by an earlier poster, only women wear this pointless piece of cloth over their face - not their menfolk....

The earlier video provided on this thread where young, educated, Moslem women 'explained' why they chose to wear the burka, made no logical sense at all.  It just made it very clear that they were stupid and/or uninformed -and definitely ridiculous on this subject.

Quite apart from the various other problems that people have with the burka and nikab - it is an affront to equality.

What right do you have to insult other women. You're being arrogant. 

Archived