Thailand Vs Philippines?

Ricohoc

For those of you who have spent time in both places, how would you compare and contrast them?

Do you find more advantages/disadvantages in one over the other?

Thanks, guys! :o

Edited by Ricohoc

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who have spent time in both places, how would you compare and contrast them?

Thanks, guys! :o

in the Phillipines there is / are:

more poverty

more guns

more Americans

More Catholics

more islands

more Jeepneys

more English speakers

Far greater chance of getting beaten up in the Philippines. In fact, a far higher chance of being a victim of all sorts of crime in the Philippines. However if you are an aggressive troublemaker, you stand a good chance of a kicking in either place. This is the most obvious Thai advantage.

Spent two years in Manila 2000-2002. Nice people, interesting place, but cannot compare with Thailand in my opinion:

1. Extreme poverty just about everywhere.

2. Despite poverty and lower GDP, prices are higher for just about everything.

3. Immigration procedures far worse than Thailand (fingerprinting family, had to carry green books when departing, pay exorbitant departure tax, etc.)

4. Crime much more rampant. All guards are armed, even in libraries!

5. Cuisine is horrible, perhaps the world's worst. Yes, Adobo and a few others are delicious, but the rest...What they do to rice is a crime!

6. More natural disasters per sq.m. than anywhere on earth. Volcanos, typhoons, earthquakes, Imelda, you name it.

If they ever get their act together they have far more potential than Thailand as a tourist destination. Far more geographic, historical, and cultural diversity than Thailand has.

• Like 2

I recently spent a month in Manila. Here are a few observations from my trip:

1. My anxiety level was much higher in the Philippines because the beggars, touts, etc. were much more aggressive and numerous than here in Thailand. The moment I walked out of my hotel, I had my guard up.

2. I found that the great majority of taxi drivers tried to scam me or pressure me into paying too much.

3. Surprisingly, I did not feel unsafe walking around Manila. I regularly took long walks at all hours of the night or day. I ran into several people who tried to trick me or scam me, but I did not experience any violence and I was not threatened.

4. It was easy to find English speakers in the Philippines.

5. It was much harder for me to live in Manila than in Bangkok because of the pressure from beggars etc., and because of the difficulty in getting around by taxi.

6. I found that I like Thai food better than Philippino food.

7. I visited the Electrical Engineering department at the University of the Philippines (their top university), and found that they are quite a bit behind the top Thai universities in microchip design. The UP faculty in the microchip area consists of recent MS level graduates of the university. The top students are given scholarships to go abroad with the agreement that they will come back to teach, but they rarely ever return. My impression is that many students feel hopeless about their opportunities in the Philippines and many want to leave if possible.

I read an article which said that 80% of government doctors in the Philippines go back to school to get a nursing degree in order to have a better chance of getting to go to the U.S.

The Call center business (people who answer the phones for overseas companies) consumes a large percentage of the college graduates since the pay is is considered very high. I think it is about $300.00 (US) per month, or about 15,000 pisos.

8. I was told that saving face is less important in the Philippines than in Thailand, by an ex-pat who has lived in both places. I couldn't draw this conclusion on my own, but it is not inconsistent with my observations.

9. My experiences in the Philippines were very limited (as are my experiences in Thailand) so I can not draw any broad conclusions. I can say that I have enjoyed living in Thailand more than living in the Philippines.

-q

Edited by quadricorrelator

I appreciate all the great input! :o

It's pretty much what I expected. I just wanted another educated perspective. If anyone else has some experiences, by all means post them! I don't want my response to kill the thread.

Thanks again!

The PI and Thailand remind me of the US military in one sense. The US Marines are always talking about and comparing themselves to the Army--a real fixation/inferiority complex (no reason for it, but it's there nonetheless). In the US Army, in contrast, people generally don't even concern themselves with the Marines.

Similarly, Filipinos spend a lot of time talking about and criticizing other Asian countries, while Thais hardly ever seem to concern themselves with the Philippines.

For me, the Philippines is much cheaper than Thailand. Especially beer. But that's it's only edge, and it's buried by the downsides: religion, the fake sense of superiority over other Asian countries, the food, the food, the food and the sad fact that the country has gone nowhere since they kicked out Marcos. I was there then--in 1986 and 1987 and it was a time of great hope. Tragic, Really. During my last visit the "international" terminal had no water in the restroom (young men with buckets, very nice), and many of the signs showing flights were the plastic letter variety. To me, that said it all. Oh, but decent healthcare at the fancy Manila hospitals and a beautiful, charming people, to be fair.

p.s. One final thought. If one were to go to the PI for a vasectomy, hypothetically, would recommend not letting the young resident do one side. Have the experienced urologist do both sides... Oh, and be ready for a crowd of student nurses to watch the procedure--perhaps not one's proudest presentation.

Sound like a bunch of sex tourists to me.

Acquiesce, what part of,

more poverty

more guns

more Americans

More Catholics

more islands

more Jeepneys

more English speakers

Sounds like a sex tourist to you..???

Now. I spent 4yrs in the PI, and have many many visits to Thailand

PI is all of the above, but still can be a nice place, however Thailand appears more relaxed, better food(my opinion, and I like the food in the PI), The Thai's seem to be not as tempermental as the Philipinos, and the beauracracy seems to be not as restrictive. Regards, BD

You've got to get away from places like Manila and Angeles City or to Judge the Philippines, I very nearly settled in a city called Doumaghetti on the large Island of Negros which I thought ran close a perfect retirement place. There are plenty of like places that appealed also, Sabang Beach on Mindoro is a big dive centre with great coastal and island scenery, and Bagio in Northern Luzon is perfect for those who like their weather a little cooler. I can't understand the complaints about the food, any one who goes to live there is going to cook for themselves or find a cook who can cook what they like. the markets are full of fresh produce daily. I live in Thailand because I met the right person otherwise I'd almost certainly have set up home there.

Yes Aquiesce, I hit a few bars there and I'm not even slightly ashamed of it. What's more I don't give a rats a*se what you think of me either.

• Like 1

Yes Aquiesce, I hit a few bars there and I'm not even slightly ashamed of it. What's more I don't give a rats a*se what you think of me either.

Way to go! :o

I could have put it better but not within forum rules. :D

I've spent some time in PI in addition to Thailand and pretty well agree with all that has been said.

My company had several Thai staff assigned to our construction site at Batangas and there was a standing instruction for anyone coming on a visit to bring as much Thai fragrant rice and Mama instant noodles as they could carry. Yes the food is generally <deleted>, last time I went I was with my Fillipina GF and she got us some decent food but it was still just about on a par with below average Thai food.

I had no problem with taxis there but having my little "cultural attache" gave me an unfair advantage but to be quite honest even if I would have paid double it is still peanuts.

The gun thing is a little scary at first but I soon got used to it. Every shopping mall had metal detector arches at the entrances and even then many shops within the malls had them also. On top of that there's the security guards, at one mall entrance I counted fifteen guys each armed with a pump action shotgun/assault(ish) rifle plus a pistol as a minimum.

Ninoy Aquino international airport is an utter sh1thole second to none in my experience, although I'm sure there are worse ones. Only bona fide travellers (i.e. those with tickets) can get into the terminal (via a security check), then there's another security check to get into the shambolic check in area. The only toilets are cunningly hidden down a passage marked "Airline staff only". The queue for passport control was of biblical proportions. Suvarnabumi has it's problems but I'd rather pass through there 100 times than Ninoy aquino once.

I never was bothered much by beggars, I've endured worse in Thailand and it's nothing compared to Indonesia.

The beer is cheap as chips but I'm not a great fan of San Mig although they brew a Red Horse extra strong lager that is truely worthy of a close encounter with my taste buds. :D

PI is not a patch on LOS which is my preferred final destination but I will hang fire for a few years yet and see which way the wind blows.

I was in the Philippines couple of times with no problems at all. I think it just depends where you stay, if you stay in Makati area then it should be OK. It is true that the crime is high but you don't walk around in places like that and not even local people will suggest you to go there. I do not have problem with the food either; you get different variety of food from north to south and different cities. I will not forget the food that they called "zizig or sisig" which, is made from chopped of some part of pork's head, nose, and ear and serve in a sizzling plate. Beer is good. I can talk to everyone since everybody speaks English. Traffic in Manila is bad. Diving? diving is phenomenal...

Do any of you guys see the cost of living rising more quickly in LOS than in the PI for those coming from the US?

Seems like I've read somewhere that there is a fear that the US dollar will lose value more quickly in Thailand ... What do you guys who are in the LOS think of that? Any evidence that you can point to?

Thanks!

Thanks, guys! :D

there is no comparison :o the Philippines is a horrible place with a basket case economy

Sound like a bunch of sex tourists to me.

Hi Acquiesce. That's called argumentum ad hominem. When you can't argue the facts you attack the person making the argument. Well done. Just for the record, I lived in Manila for two years with my family due to a transfer by the company I was working for at the time, so I guess I don't fall under your category.

Now for those who want to hear what the OP asked abou:

One thing I left out. Quality and availability of medical care. There are nowhere near as many hospitals and medical facilities as there are in Thailand, and their overall quality was very lacking in my opinion. I will give you several examples. For a while we lived in Alabang, which was a very expensive gated housing area south of Manila. There was a small clinic there for the residents. It was not very clean, and the toilet did not even have a seat. When I politely mentioned that might be a good idea for a facility located in a clinic the staff were just baffled. Makati Medical Center, not very clean either. Doctor also told us my wife's right ovary was just find--it had been removed several years earlier! Ironic for a place that supplies lots of doctors and nurses around the world. Perhaps all the good ones leave?

• Like 1

It was not very clean, and the toilet did not even have a seat. When I politely mentioned that might be a good idea for a facility located in a clinic the staff were just baffled. Makati Medical Center, not very clean either. Doctor also told us my wife's right ovary was just find--it had been removed several years earlier! Ironic for a place that supplies lots of doctors and nurses around the world. Perhaps all the good ones leave?

yeah, the good ones leave and only the ones who cannot go to work outside the PI stays... Philipino nurses in London are doctors in Philippines...

The PI and Thailand remind me of the US military in one sense. The US Marines are always talking about and comparing themselves to the Army--a real fixation/inferiority complex (no reason for it, but it's there nonetheless). In the US Army, in contrast, people generally don't even concern themselves with the Marines.

Inferiority complex? I think that you have got it backwards.

When I was a Marine, we mostly laughed at the Army if we thought about them at all. :o .

I see it as far more likely the dollar will erode in Thailand compared to the PI. My plan is stay mobile enough that if things get too pricey in Thailand even with a safety margin at the start point, I'll go the PI or some other place in SE Asia.

On the analogy to the military--gues the point was supported by reactions from Marines but none from Army.

I'm going to add to my original post here after a little thought and reading the others.

Yes it can be a dangerous place, the police are corrupt and never around when needed. The poverty causes violent crime, scams and other anti social behavior.

But I've lived all my life safely, the city I'm from in Australia is classed as safe, where I live now I'd walk the 20kms to Chiang Rai at night with out a moments qualm, other than carrying a heavy stick to discourage the territorial dogs on the way.

The Philippines appealed to me as it brought out some sort of primeval response to be careful, a feeling of living on the edge.

I only spent a short time in the Philippines, mainly Manila but these were some of my impressions:

I always felt like l had to be a lot more careful when walking around but never experienced any trouble myself, other people l met did. It helps when walking around late at night if you're sober as most people with problems were drunk but that applies most places apart from Japan. Random bag snatches on jeepneys late at night are a common occurence, muggings seem to happen a lot more than in Bangkok, poverty and dirty streets more apparent. Going to an atm and having a security guard with a pump action shotgun standing next to you is not something l can remember seeing in Bangkok but it is something l saw a number of times in Manila.

Taxi drivers rarely would accept the meter fare, had to add something extra but still very cheap.

I don't consider myself a fussy eater but l was very disappointed in the food after living in Thailand. You can buy cheap tasty food from street stalls all over Thailand but l didn't find this in the Philippines. Having a good meal at any price was a rarity for me, maybe spending more time would have helped unlike Thailand where you can find good food from the first day you arrive. In Thailand you don't need to cook for yourself if you don't want to but if l ever lived in the Philippines longterm l would do my own cooking a lot.

I met more expats who had lived long term in the Philippines (10 years or more) in a month than l have met in Thailand in a year and they were happy unlike most in Thailand who have plenty of complaints. The people in the Philippines are much more accepting of foreigners than in Thailand, things that might get you beaten up for in Thailand seem to be laughed off more because you're a crazy foreigner. Most of the expats and foreign tourists l met were older than those you see in Thailand.

One thing l noticed that l haven't heard others refer to is how foreigners are treated in the media. Look in any Thai newspaper and see how often you find a society type photo of a Thai girl with a foreign boyfriend... not much. Look in a Philippines newspaper and there are many events covered like movie premieres where you will see Filipinas with foreign boyfriends or husbands.

In Thailand l can mostly wander around unhindered but in Manila l could not believe the number of times l was hit on by young women who would openly flirt with me, and l'm not talking about bar areas but just about anywhere l went. I was told that many in the Philippines just want to get out at any cost and marrying a foreigner, even one much older is seen as a cheap price to pay. By comparison most Thai women are happy to live in Thailand.

As a place to live longterm Thailand is the winner for most people, just more to see and do. If you're not working then you soon run out of things to do in a place like Manila as apart from going to bars and shopping malls there didn't seem to be a lot to do. I could live most places, certainly could in the Philippines but Thailand is the more appealing however l hope to see some more of the Philippines in future.