Thailand Vs Philippines?

Ricohoc

Do any of you guys see the cost of living rising more quickly in LOS than in the PI for those coming from the US?

Seems like I've read somewhere that there is a fear that the US dollar will lose value more quickly in Thailand ... What do you guys who are in the LOS think of that? Any evidence that you can point to?

Thanks!

Not sure about the actual cost of living, but certainly the baht has recently been much stronger against the dollar than the Phillipine peso. I would think that there is still alot of international investment hope for the future of Thailand, and almost none for the Phillipines. Economically, it is a sad country.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have spent time in both countries, although considerably more in Thailand than the Philippines. I have close friends from both countries. Several people in earlier posts mentioned that they thought the Philippines had more crime than Thailand. Statistics from the United Nations bears this out. The Philippines has twice the crime rate of Thailand, according to the U.N., but much of that is property crime. Thailand still has the world's third highest homicide rate.

I really enjoy both Thais and Filipinos. They are both very outwardly friendly and extremely attractive people. Both cultures place great importance on the family and they honor the elderly (one reason I enjoy people from both cultures so much)! :o

But there are major differences between the people of the two countries. I think much has to do with culture and religion. The majority of Thais are very laid back (unless you cross them and then watch out) while Filipinos are much more demonstrative and aggressive.

While too many people in both countries are very poor, in my experience Filipinos have a much better work ethic than Thais. English is one of the major languages spoken in the Philippines (thank God, because there are more than 100 languages spoken on the various islands that comprise the Philippines).

Both countries are afflicted by corrupt governments that have really slowed down their progress. Several posters have indicated the Thai economy is stronger than the economy of the Philippines. Well the CIA World Factbook somewhat disputes this. They point out that the Philippines had East Asia's best performing currency in 2005-2006. Part of this was the result of the implementation of an expanded Value Added Tax in November 2005. The GDP for the Philippines from 2002 to 2006 has grown about 5%. The latest exchange rates show that $1.00 USD is equal to 48.6 Filipino Pesos and 34.9 Baht.

The real problem is that there is a huge budget deficit and that has forced the Filipino government to spend a lot of money on debt service. There is also a major disparity in the distribution of income. Another problem is that the Filipino people are very young...the median age is 22.5 years, which is incredible. And there are 90 million people living on a total land mass the size of the State of Arizona.

Where would I rather live? Well I split my time between Thailand and the United States. Why? Because my lover is Thai...and I prefer Thai food, which is the best in Asia. It is as simple as that.

Edited by farang prince

What bothers me most here in the Philippines is the mentality. The financial, political, criminal, etc. situation in the Philippines are just a result of the failed mentality here. It lacks of trust and belief. People here with the same life situation as a person in Thailand tend to be a lot more discontent with it than the thais. People here always want more and more. Maybe this is the influence of american mentality (the american dream) which makes them so, I don't know, really. Philippines are very direct (sometimes bordering to ruthlessness), they confront a lot which makes it difficult to direct your attention to yourself and just relax. The mentality makes people direct their attention towards a (in most cases) non-exiting danger. It is a very afraid people, indeed. The alertness is not in line with the threat level, IMHO. I cannot really explain this, but I feel the mentality in the Philippines is square, sharp, while my feeling of the thai mentality is round, soft. Somehow I just feel that the Philippine mentality is "dirty". Insensitive. Sometimes I think about mafia, when I look at some people here. When your are being served here in hotels, restaurants, etc. the staffs behaviour seems to be a lot more false/superficial than in Thailand. And I'm pretty sure the pressure on the staff is a lot harder than in Thailand. They are really slaves, here. And for some reason I don't like to see that 70% of the champermaids here are males.

Most practical things are a lot easier in PI. Visa-extension (if ur single) and the fact that almost everyone here speaks english are of course plusses. People are also very foreigner-friendly. The mentality is far closer to the mentality in the west, compared to thai same, which doesn't make me feel as "different" as I sometimes feel in Thailand. The climate in Cebu is in my opinion very good. Most restaurants in PI serve fast food, but it is possible to find very good food here. For example in the thai restaurant in SM mall ;-)

Pollution! In the Philippines I would have to (or should have) cleaned the blades on the fans at least once a month. Here (in Pattaya) only once in a year. Burning garbage much more common in P.I. Most of Jeepneys and trikes have black exhaust. Littering and garbage in the street. Much more in the P.I.

I lived in the Philippines for two years, six months or so in Manila and then 18 months in Cebu, Panay and Palawan.

There are plus points and negatives. A lot of people cite crime and guns as negatives, but I never had a problem (with that).

The grinding poverty is depressing. However most of the PI people are friendly and speak good English.

But; in the end, I felt I was losing my mind, actually becoming insane, whilst living in a country where jealousy, R.C. faith, mindless violent acts, mean-spirited actions, lies, lies and more lies, rampant dishonesty, family feuds, political B.S. : bombs, pollution, con-merchants, insane taxi drivers, stench of open sewers, flip-flops and constant food poisoning, vermin and pea-soup humidity, eventually took their toll.

Nice {energetic women} though.

Thailand suits me better.

Based on a short visit to Cebu, I would say the good things about the Philippines are:

-it's cheap, but then so is Thailand

-everyone speaks English, even in the slums where I lost my way once

-the people are on the whole very friendly ....

but ....

-not all of them are, and that's why you see armed guards everywhere, in banks, at the entrance to shopping malls searching your bags; crime is far higher than in most other Asian and also European nations

-now I understand why you have Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese restaurants all over the world, but you can't find Filipino places anywhere: that's because the food sucks big time, all grease, fat, tasteless, and unhealthy stuff

-economically, Thailand has made huge strides, despite corruption, coups, war in the South, it has been following Taiwan, Korea, China, Malaysia in the right direction even if some paces behind; but the Philippines are going nowhere: it's still stuck in poverty and third-world squalor, and that's not going to change any time soon;

So considering all of that, if I were ever put before the choice between Thailand and Philippines, I would go for Thailand 100 percent. There's no advantage for the Philippines that would outweigh all the negatives, but that's just me. Everyone has his own likes and dislikes, but reading the other posts, I think LOS is a strong favorite for many people.

Whatever you choose, visit the place first, make comparisons, hang around for a while so that you see more than just what the average short-term tourist does. Good luck!

I traveled to the Philippines on business in 2001, and traveled extensively within four hours' radius of Manila for about a week. A few observations...

One experience stands out: I was roundly reprimanded by my business host for walking alone in broad daylight about a kilometer between my hotel and a major shopping mall in Makati City (an upscale business district of Manila). Reason: a wave of kidnapping western businessmen was going on at the time, by Muslim insurgents from the southern islands. Didn't feel too secure after seeing his obvious consternation.

Interestingly, I have met a lot more Filipinos desperate to get out of their country, than I meet Thais with the same desire.

On the other side of the coin, TimeAsia last year reported the results of an interesting international survey: The Philippines was rated the most happy nation on earth (out of about 180 countries surveyed). This, despite the abject poverty one immediately faces when traveling in the country. Thailand was rated in 31st place. (Most of the western countries we expats are from, were rated way down the list--after 100th place.)

It was not very clean, and the toilet did not even have a seat. When I politely mentioned that might be a good idea for a facility located in a clinic the staff were just baffled. Makati Medical Center, not very clean either. Doctor also told us my wife's right ovary was just find--it had been removed several years earlier! Ironic for a place that supplies lots of doctors and nurses around the world. Perhaps all the good ones leave?

yeah, the good ones leave and only the ones who cannot go to work outside the PI stays... Philipino nurses in London are doctors in Philippines...

I work with a few PI Dr's and they are in quite senior positions with a major Pharma

More Filipina's than any other nationality actually in our region

And yes - they have spent considerable time outside their country and the majority still are.

Well, most of the Filipinos I knew in California hoped to return to their island home one day, carrying a big sack of American dollars. Bless their hearts.

That is the experience of all the Filipino's I work and know with too including my boss.

They travel to work and make a packet while buying land and property back home with the aim of returning.

They want their kids educated well too

A bit like some Thai's I suppose but not in the numbers Filipina's do

Well, most of the Filipinos I knew in California hoped to return to their island home one day, carrying a big sack of American dollars. Bless their hearts.

That is the experience of all the Filipino's I work and know with too including my boss.

They travel to work and make a packet while buying land and property back home with the aim of returning.

They want their kids educated well too

A bit like some Thai's I suppose but not in the numbers Filipina's do

I think that is another major difference between Thailand and the Philippines. In the Philippines just about everyone I met would have jumped at the chance of moving overseas, particularly to the USA. During the two years I worked there in a small office of about 100 people I think 5-6 got their visas and left. A lot of others had applications pending. I don't think it is much of an exageration to say that the fondest dream of most filipinos is live in the promised land. On the other hand, I meet very few Thais who express much interest in living overseas. Not saying they do not exist, but the numbers are much lower in comparison.

The poverty in the P.I. is of the 'grinding' variety too. Whereas slums in Thailand generally have corrugated steel and wood, in Manila you literally see cardboard shacks. I rode in the cab of a train from a train station near Makati to the main terminal in Manila. Took about an hour (slow ride), but the entire way was shacks on either side. Just mile after mile of shacks extending so close to the cab that the engineer had to rely on the fireman to see the way ahead!

The saddest thing is that they have not got a grip on their population problem, and you know why that is. If they had successfully instituted that at about the same time Thailand did things would probably be a lot better. You can't pile more and more people into an area like that and hope that things will improve by magic.

I used to sail with Filipino crew and, at every port, they used to post US dollar bills back home to buy land and property. We had one Bosun who intended to retire at 40, having bought his folks a farm, put three siblings through university and having bought himself a huge apartment in Metro Manila.

So many great responses on this thread - I think it's all been said.

I prefer Filipina women to Thais, but it's true that you have to expect a lot of jealous infighting among them, and their form of gossip includes outright lies. You also have to really watch what people do, not what they say. Although westerners are easily included into any family or group, we are still outsiders, and there is open season on us - we are fair game. If we are easily fooled, that is considered our problem, not theirs. But the Asian face issue isn't as prominent, so I much prefer that culture.

It's true that they are so brazen as to be rude. You may get blatant sexual comments as to the size of your mates vagina compared to your dck as you walk by hand in hand with your woman. But that has a charm, once you get used to it.

The noise and pollution ruin the quality of life. I don't mind the poverty or the ugly buildings. It is the automobile related noise (the horns are incredibly, painfully loud, and used for no reason other than to show that they are high enough status to own one) and diesel exhaust. You can see the air, and it chokes. Anywhere near a road is uncomfortable. There are some seaside diving towns that don't have a big road, and these can be a great place to hang out or live. The women there will be mostly gang controlled prostitutes, but you can find a decent woman elsewhere and relocate.

For me I prefer Thailand, but prefer Filipinas. So if I were to date a local, I'd live in the Phils. Thai girls drive me totally nuts and I'm done with them.

Edited by jamman

So many great responses on this thread - I think it's all been said.

I prefer Filipina women to Thais, but it's true that you have to expect a lot of jealous infighting among them, and their form of gossip includes outright lies. You also have to really watch what people do, not what they say. Although westerners are easily included into any family or group, we are still outsiders, and there is open season on us - we are fair game. If we are easily fooled, that is considered our problem, not theirs. But the Asian face issue isn't as prominent, so I much prefer that culture.

It's true that they are so brazen as to be rude. You may get blatant sexual comments as to the size of your mates vagina compared to your dck as you walk by hand in hand with your woman. But that has a charm, once you get used to it.

The noise and pollution ruin the quality of life. I don't mind the poverty or the ugly buildings. It is the automobile related noise (the horns are incredibly, painfully loud, and used for no reason other than to show that they are high enough status to own one) and diesel exhaust. You can see the air, and it chokes. Anywhere near a road is uncomfortable. There are some seaside diving towns that don't have a big road, and these can be a great place to hang out or live. The women there will be mostly gang controlled prostitutes, but you can find a decent woman elsewhere and relocate.

For me I prefer Thailand, but prefer Filipinas. So if I were to date a local, I'd live in the Phils. Thai girls drive me totally nuts and I'm done with them.

Sounds like Phuket..... :o seriously tho,am researching PI for good travel stories - maybe some locals can offer decent suggestions?

As opposed to an American carrying a big sack of American dollars and running off to Thailand..

As opposed to an American carrying a big sack of American dollars and running off to Thailand..

Huh?

Alot of the returning Filipinos are Americans. Whats your point?

My point is that many who migrate want to return. They left for the money but their hearts are often still in the islands. I think thats charming.

Edited by Jingthing

My point is that many who migrate want to return. They left for the money but their hearts are often still in the islands.

I have a lot of Filipino freinds in California that I used to hang out with in Manilla.

Actually, they just want to go back to the islands and play big shot. Get a big house and lots of maids and screw everything that moves. Nothing to do with loving the place! :o

:D it is sad that some people here don't like PH. I understand that. PH is a good place actually (not because i am a filipino) just that most of us filipinos are thinking more of our own pockets than our own well being. Filipinos goes abroad to make a better life not just for themselves but also for the love ones they left behind. Not all filipinos are bad. if you happen to be with some filipinos who want to go back to be a big shot and screw everything that moves then you're in the wrong crowd of filipinos. yes we are jealous freaks but its because we are selfish when it comes to our man. well, at least not to the point where we have to put him on a leash :D.

please don't judge my whole country just because you had one time bad experience in one place. yes PH is in bad situation right now, i am not denying it but its not all that bad. try going to palawan, mindoro, cebu, batangas, baguio and other islands. about the food, well we all have different taste buds.

if PH's economy is same as TH or Sing, no filipino will ever leave PH just for money. ahhhm,... thats just me. maybe i should put up a traveling agency and show you guys around :o (with a shotgun on one hand, bomb detector on the other and with 10 bodyguards :D ).

I don't wanna put the Philipines down any further, but I just want to correct something that farang prince stated as a fact.

From the CIA world factbook: Thailand's GDP - per capita is $9,100 (2006 est.) while the Philipines is $5,000 (2006 est.). So I'm not sure what CIA factbook farang prince was looking at....

:D it is sad that some people here don't like PH. I understand that. PH is a good place actually (not because i am a filipino) just that most of us filipinos are thinking more of our own pockets than our own well being. Filipinos goes abroad to make a better life not just for themselves but also for the love ones they left behind. Not all filipinos are bad. if you happen to be with some filipinos who want to go back to be a big shot and screw everything that moves then you're in the wrong crowd of filipinos. yes we are jealous freaks but its because we are selfish when it comes to our man. well, at least not to the point where we have to put him on a leash :D.

please don't judge my whole country just because you had one time bad experience in one place. yes PH is in bad situation right now, i am not denying it but its not all that bad. try going to palawan, mindoro, cebu, batangas, baguio and other islands. about the food, well we all have different taste buds.

if PH's economy is same as TH or Sing, no filipino will ever leave PH just for money. ahhhm,... thats just me. maybe i should put up a traveling agency and show you guys around :o (with a shotgun on one hand, bomb detector on the other and with 10 bodyguards :D ).

that's lovely actually...

:o it is sad that some people here don't like PH. I understand that....

I just want to make it clear that despite my posting about the things in the Philippines that don't measure up to Thailand it doesn't mean I didn't like the country, nor does it mean I had any problems with the people, who on the whole were very friendly and nice to be with. I still keep in touch with some of the people I worked with there.

I don't think other people who have not been there appreciate just how big PI is, I travelled by ship from Manilla to Mindanao it took over two and a half days, I flew back much better. I live in LOS, why ? Because I just feel safe here,yes I live in Pattaya, and like any city it has its fair share of crime,but if you are sensible you know your not going to be hurt. I don't have to lock my taxi cab door, unlike PI where it is compulsory, otherwise chances are... Also I agree with previous members about the scary guards on the entrances to public buildings bristling with guns. Here the only guns you see are the boys in brown. Each country has its fair share of fabulous scenery. As for language? Well I found when you moved away from the conurbations that English was spoken a lot less than you are lead to believe. (Tagalog rules)

Girls? well I crossed the bamboo curtain 10 yrs ago :o and they are all beautiful!

Also they drive on the right, so you have to look the other way, talking of transport, the cars are much older than in LOS, you very rarely see a quality car,usually patched up rust buckets (even the taxis).

I like PI but I love LOS.

Not all filipinos are bad. if you happen to be with some filipinos who want to go back to be a big shot and screw everything that moves then you're in the wrong crowd of filipinos.

Sorry, I don't mean that I don't like the Philipines - I DO. It is fun and most people are nice and the girls are feminine and BEAUTIFUL!

Sure my buddies want to be big shots, but people everywhere do. That is why people work so hard to be rich. It is just easier to be rich in certain places - if you are working over-seas - because you don't have too much competition. :o

I don't like filipina women much...they keep comparing theirselves with other asian women and critisising...some filipina bint who I thought was a friend did this with my Thai wife and caused a problem...

and their food is for shit...wouldn't give it to pigs...

Tell your wife to (wisely) choose the Filipinos she hangs-out with then!

Edited by GracelessFawn

For those of you who have spent time in both places, how would you compare and contrast them?

Do you find more advantages/disadvantages in one over the other?

Thanks, guys! :D

in the Phillipines there is / are:

more poverty

more guns

more Americans

More Catholics

more islands

more Jeepneys

more English speakers

What's wrong with guns? I love guns! Heck, I even suck them!

:o Can she say that on Thai Visa??