An interesting little bike ride

pakunu

Hi ..  We have just come back from motorbiking around North Vietnam for 25 days and thought maybe someone might benefit from our experience.

Got an e.visa for me -not needed for wife as she is Thai. Changed Thai baht for Vietnam dong at 3 different places but Vietcombank was the best rate at 679 dong. Hired a 110cc Honda Wave from rental company in Hanoi -approx cost $10usd per day (all up we only weigh about 130kgs incl bags ) so a Honda Wave was very adequate. Packed very little but had a few warm clothes.

Arrived in Hanoi and spent 2 days sightseeing and adjusting to another country and food. Made good friends of homestay people and they helped a lot.

Route

Hanoi - Mai Chau - Son La - Sa pa -  Ha Jiang - Dong Van - Cao Bang - Ba Be - Hanoi

Did a total of about 2000 kms in the 25 days we had the bike. Some of the roads are borderline in places but actually I was a little surprised they were better than I thought they would be. Many days averaged only 25kms an hour but we stop often and talk or take photos or drink coffee.  Had some challenging situations with a puncture in the wilderness ,caught in the flood area where 20 odd people died with landslips etc but experience helps. We try and stay away from tourist areas and try to be with the "locals" and don't eat c... European food made in asia.

We don't do the insurance thing as I am too old and my wife has had serious health problems. I always carry a lot of cash and find that is the best "insurance". Carrying a lot of cash - a worry but don't flaunt it. All our travels in Asia have always done the same and it seems to have worked out for us pretty well.

The total cost incl visa , train Thailand , flight , accommodation , motorbike etc, just under  70000 baht ( and a beer occasionally !! ) for the 29 days we were away.  We eat sensibly and stay in mid level homestays/hotels and if we want it we will buy it but don't waste money.

It was a bit of a challenge but lotsa fun and the Vietnamese people are great. My feeling is that they are a very mature race and we loved being with them in the cities  the towns and the countryside

I hope that this may help someone who wants to do something different

Hiya

Just got back to the computer. Yep there are larger bikes for hire - google bike rental companies Hanoi several there with differing reputations of course. Bigger bike- heavier -more expensive rental -higher fuel consumption but a better ride tho watch for centre of gravity.

Pictures- I have many but there are many of the scenary posted on various websites by other travellers of all the towns/cities mountains of the area we travelled. The majority or our photos are of the interaction with people we met and the local Vietnamese people we tried to have conversations with. Those are our own personal photos and hopefully by you doing the trip can capture your own

Archived