Options available after failing the IELTS A2 exam in the UK

Does anybody know what the options are if somebody fails the IELTS A2 English exam after being in the UK for two and a half years on a settlement visa?

For some background info my friend’s wife obtained a settlement visa and moved to the UK two and a half years ago. She had no problem and passed the A1 exam in Bangkok as part of her visa application. Her English is good and has improved so she doesn’t have a problem with ‘everyday English’ at all, but does tend to get stressed and panic both when taking exams and when talking to strangers and consequently doesn’t integrate well with strangers in the UK so her English is restricted to speaking with my mate and just a few close friends.

Her visa is due to be renewed early September so she took the A2 exam in July, but failed. I don’t think my mate realised what was involved and thought it was just an extension of the A1 exam she took in Thailand. So, after spending the last month on the British Council website and watching all the videos available on You Tube etc relating to A2, she re-sat the exam the other day, but isn’t confident at all. Apparently part of the exam involves talking with another person doing the exam and she said, because of her accent, she couldn’t understand the what the other person was saying properly and that coupled with her stress having to talk to a stranger, she thinks she’s messed up again.

It takes about a week to get the results but, if she has failed, there won’t be enough time to take the exam for a third time before her visa runs out in about three weeks.

So can anybody tell us what her position is if she does fail? Does she have to return to Thailand in three weeks or is there some sort of temporary extension she can apply for while she tries to pass the exam again?

If she has to come back to Thailand, can she take the relevant exam here (I know there’s some UK approved companies advertising the IELTS exams at all levels in Bangkok)?

What would the current state of her visa be after the September date? Once she does get the A2 certificate (even if that’s obtained in Thailand) can she then return to the UK and continue from the two and a half year point or would she have to apply again for a new visa and start from scratch?

Can she take a Trinity A2 test? Trinity have a different test to IELTS Life Skills for A1 but I don't know if they do for A2. It may suit your wife better, if they do.

That said, keep practising, as she can keep taking the IELTS until she passes (as long as she's still in the UK legally) and as there is only Pass/Fail, she might already be close to passing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Trinity do the A2 english test my wife done it a couple of months ago. I think it's easier than Ielts. The test only last about 7mins and it's only one student so should ease the nerves. You also get the results straight after the exam. When I've booked there has also been plenty bookings available at short notice - but it will depend where you are sitting it. 

1 hour ago, magicroundabout said:

Trinity do the A2 english test my wife done it a couple of months ago. I think it's easier than Ielts. The test only last about 7mins and it's only one student so should ease the nerves. You also get the results straight after the exam. When I've booked there has also been plenty bookings available at short notice - but it will depend where you are sitting it. 

Thanks very much for the information, I've passed it on to my mate and it looks like that would be the ideal route for them to take.

The problem with IELTS is that the earliest appointment you can get with them is four weeks away and her visa will have expired by then.

Your friend needs to apply before the current visa expires as far as i am aware you can not apply for any category once your visa has expired , it would mean going back to Thailand and starting the whole process again

What if I fail to meet the requirement of level A2?

An applicant who fails to meet the A2 English language requirement for further leave to remain as a partner or parent under the five-year route to settlement after 2.5 years (30 months) in the UK will be granted leave to remain on family or private life grounds under the 10-year route to settlement providing that they meet the other relevant requirements of Appendix FM or demonstrate exceptional circumstances.

Will any applicants not be required to meet the new A2 requirement?

The following applicants will not be be required to satisfy the new A2 English language requirement:

1. Applicants under the 10-year partner and parent routes
  2. Partners granted leave under part 8 of the Immigration Rules.
  3. Partners of members of HM Forces who have been granted 5 years leave to remain under Appendix Armed Forces and who are not required to apply for further leave after 2.5 years.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1052785-options-available-after-failing-the-ielts-a2-exam-in-the-uk/?_fromLogin=1

I suggest he asks the question here

https://www.immigrationboards.com/immigration-for-family-members/

Archived