Currency exchange shops won't take my old U.S. $100 bills

SometimezaGreatNotion

Most won't take old bills, or damaged bills, even at the banks.

One company I worked for in Afghanistan was closing out and I was one of the last employees to be paid out as I was staying (with another company). They paid out my final claim with the last of the US money they had which included some old and/or damaged bills. I tried to refuse them but it was a "take it or leave it" as they were gone the next day. 
Couldn't even use them at the American PX's or shops on base ! They refused to take them because of their condition.

Couldn't exchange them in Thailand either, at a bank or exchange booth.

Ended up holding onto them for nearly 8 months until a friend of mine was making a trip back the USA and I asked him if he could take the bills to a bank there and exchange them. (He did.)

Got to keep in mind that things are different in Thailand. If an exchange clerk or bank teller accepts a fake bill or one that is damaged or otherwise unusable, it is likely to come out of her/his salary.

I even asked a teller once when she was checking some American bills I was trying to exchange (years earlier from the ones mention above). She had to physically examine each bill (using a magnifying glass) and in one case she was having a problem with one of the bills (not sure what the problem was). I told her I'd take it back but she went to see someone else and came back and said it was fine.

I asked her why the bank didn't have one of those counterfeit bill detectors (like pretty much every convenience store and gas station in North America has) and she said the bank wouldn't pay for one because it was easier to just take the money out of her salary if she took a bad bill by mistake.

And I'm sure there are more than a few people that try to scam the exchange booths by using fake bills or unusable currency (like maybe old Turkish Lira or Iraqi Dinars). Some even make the news, when they get caught. 

Try different places you might get lucky.

I had the same problem a few years back, I learned my lesson and now before I come to Thailand I go to my bank and ask for new hundred bills. I explain to them why and they understand. 

Banks in Thailand also have to exchange the bills with US institutions and they have the same problem that you are having and that's the reason they don't take them.

When I had that problem , I went to a few different place until finally Super rich in khon Kaen    exchanged them for me , and as it turned out they also had the best rate.

8 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Most won't take old bills, or damaged bills, even at the banks.

One company I worked for in Afghanistan was closing out and I was one of the last employees to be paid out as I was staying (with another company). They paid out my final claim with the last of the US money they had which included some old and/or damaged bills. I tried to refuse them but it was a "take it or leave it" as they were gone the next day. 
Couldn't even use them at the American PX's or shops on base ! They refused to take them because of their condition.

Couldn't exchange them in Thailand either, at a bank or exchange booth.

Ended up holding onto them for nearly 8 months until a friend of mine was making a trip back the USA and I asked him if he could take the bills to a bank there and exchange them. (He did.)

Got to keep in mind that things are different in Thailand. If an exchange clerk or bank teller accepts a fake bill or one that is damaged or otherwise unusable, it is likely to come out of her/his salary.

I even asked a teller once when she was checking some American bills I was trying to exchange (years earlier from the ones mention above). She had to physically examine each bill (using a magnifying glass) and in one case she was having a problem with one of the bills (not sure what the problem was). I told her I'd take it back but she went to see someone else and came back and said it was fine.

I asked her why the bank didn't have one of those counterfeit bill detectors (like pretty much every convenience store and gas station in North America has) and she said the bank wouldn't pay for one because it was easier to just take the money out of her salary if she took a bad bill by mistake.

And I'm sure there are more than a few people that try to scam the exchange booths by using fake bills or unusable currency (like maybe old Turkish Lira or Iraqi Dinars). Some even make the news, when they get caught. 

Yeah same same in many country's that dont like old uncle sam bills. I found the banks etc say no can do, so the best bet is exchanging them with private citizens for services rendered 

Last year exchanged some old Benjamins (small format) at Vasu...Sukhumvit Soi 7/1. May have stopped accepting them since, but worth a try. The best rates I've ever seen too. Been going there for as long as can remember. :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Banks in Thailand also have to exchange the bills with US institutions and they have the same problem that you are having and that's the reason they don't take them.

I very much doubt they use currency notes to any extent with US institutions.  Shipping cash around would cost too much. The buy/sell spread on dollars is very thin. One of the reasons that the spread is thin on dollars, Euros, pounds, etc is because banks and currency exchanges know they can easily, quickly sell the notes locally.

The principal use of foreign exchange purchased from travelers is to sell it to other tourists. It's simply a commodity. You want to buy it low, sell it high and minimize the cost of handling it.

In the US, banks can accept old, damaged US notes (up to a point) and dump them on the Federal Reserve Bank. In fact that is the process that keeps the money that is in circulation relatively clean and current.  That process works in all countries, including Thailand, which is how old bank notes are slowly being replaced with  new notes with the image of Rama X.  But each country's central bank only does this for it's own currency.

Even heavily mutilated and damaged currency can be exchanged. You may have to contact some government office in the states

Mail your package to: Bureau of Engraving & Printing, MCD/OFM, Room 344A, P.O. Box 37048, Washington, DC 20013.

If you are in the Washington DC area, you can deliver your submission to: Bureau of Engraving & Printing, MCD/OFM, Room 344A, 14th and C Streets SW, Washington, DC 20228

Claims typically take between 6 and 36 months to be fully processed.

Arguably the most counterfeited currency in the world. Had problems with $50.00 bills in europe at one point when there was a rash of $100 and $50 counterfiet bills floating around. Best advice already given, new bills, unmarked.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem!!!!  I have gold coins from the Roman Empire (55 AD) and I can't even get 20 baht for them!!!  I have about 100 gold coins from 150 AD.....oh well, it's OK.  maybe I can sell them for 5 baht each.

I also have hundreds of 1804 silver dollars, and I just want 35 baht for each.....but oh no!!!!

great news, I just sold them all for a banana shake.   ok, now back to worrying about making money....

do dah

Archived