new rip off now at pattaya immigration

9 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

what happens if you don't pay the fine?

see many people say they refused to pay it and seem to have gotten away with it

They don't get what they went for, and will be refused further services next visit.

Edited by Tanoshi

11 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

what happens if you don't pay the fine?

see many people say they refused to pay it and seem to have gotten away with it

If you're on a retirement extension, you'll not be able to extend it before you pay the fine and get a slip in your passport.

Edited by Vacuum

It really makes you wonder.

I've done a number of Retirement Extensions and 90 Day Reports at Jomtien over the last few years and never once have I been asked about the TM.30 form. Did a couple of Residence Certificates as well (but the last one I did was about 2 years ago now). 

Because of all the fuss on the forums about it, I was expecting to get nailed last spring when I renewed my yearly Extension. Not a single mention of it was made. Went back 30 days later (to do my 90 Day report), the boss that opens the place up in the morning takes my passport, flips to the back, sees the 90 Day notification there (and nothing else) hands back my passport and my queue number.

No muss, no fuss, no question about the TM.30. No mention of it when the IO did the new 90 Day notification slip either.

It kind of makes me wonder if perhaps some people are their own worst enemy when they go to Immigration. 

A friend of mine had heard (through an expat's club) about the TM.30 and asked his landlady about it (he was in an "serviced apartment" and she was actually the owner). She said she didn't do those and wouldn't.

My friend went to Immigration and asked them and BANG ! He was told to go sit in the room on the left with a bunch of other guys, given a lecture and had to pay the fine. He asked why he had to pay when it was supposed to be the landlady/owner's responsibility and was told that he should try and get his money back from her (yeah, fat chance of that happening).

But at least he knows for next time. He might have been able to get away with not even doing it at all but was worried they'd nail him when he went to extend his METV (and thought they might arrest him and kick him out of the country or something) so he decided to be "honest" about it (and still had to pay of course).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

A 90 day limit does not exist. If you have an international driving permit based on the 1949 convention it's valid up to one year

I think that is the length of its validity not the amount of time it can be used in a participating country.

Each country sets the length of time it can be used and as far as I know that is what it is here like it is in many other countries.

• Like 1

I think that is the length of its validity not the amount of time it can be used in a participating country.
Each country sets the length of time it can be used and as far as I know that is what it is here like it is in many other countries.
I could be wrong, but afaik the 90 days in Thailand is a myth. But the thing is (Thai) insurance companies set the 90 day limit. If you have international insurance that 90 day limit does not count.

But to be sure I have a Thai driving license. :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Yes, I know it's nuts. 1600 Baht for nothing.

Basically, for reasons of self-interest, you need to think when entering the country, "Am I going to have to interact with an immigration office during this stay?" If the answer is "Yes" then better to do a TM30, if "No" then maybe don't bother.

Reasons for going to (Pattaya) immigration include

Visa extension

New driver's licence

Buying and registering a vehicle

New passport and transfer of stamp

90 days' notification

There are other reasons.

I  know I will appear stupid but why do you have to go to immigration to renew your License. I went the first time since then I just go to the local amper government office . Do a reaction test foor red and grreen lights hand in my doctors letter to prove  I'm able  (to pay 200bt)Sit through a boring video and pick up my new licence pay 500bt for a five year license finished. The most painful bit is sitting through an hour and a half thai language video

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

it's only valid for a 90 day period at a time.

LongTimeLurker

Ha ha you beat me to it 

I haven't been able to find that limitation in writing. Police station officers,  my insurance,  Thai law Act, and geneva rules don't mention anything of a 90 day rule.  

The closest thing I've been shown is something in the Geneva document that says if in Thailand and your residence in thailand is a "normal" residemce then you can't use it at all. 

But since most are here on a temporary visas, type of address will not be normal.  It may be that it is the address you are normally at in reference to time but your normal and permanent address will still be in your home country. 

Only if you become an immigrant then your address in Thailand will be normal and you will need a Thai licence.  Otherwise a 1 year IDP will be fine.  Of course authorities can do what they want on a particular day,  but I'm confident enough on the rules. 

Each person should do whats comfortable to them once they gather all the info. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aupee said:

I  know I will appear stupid but why do you have to go to immigration to renew your License

For most it is to get a residency certificate for proof of address, a requirement for those without a work permit.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jackdd said:

A 90 day limit does not exist. If you have an international driving permit based on the 1949 convention it's valid up to one year

Found this about not requiring an IDP, .

According to the UN Traffic Act of 1949 and the Thai Traffic Act of 1979, an IDP is not required if you are a tourist/visitor in Thailand as long as your license is in English, has a photo, and your country is a contracting state of the 1949 treaty, which most are. If you are a resident, however, you require a Thai drivers license.

Edit: Although the police don't seem to know about this as when I have been stopped on a tourist visa they only want to see an IDP, not my UK licence. Even though the IDP had expired they were happy with it!

Edited by LongTimeLurker
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, stud858 said:

I haven't been able to find that limitation in writing. Police station officers,  my insurance,  Thai law Act, and geneva rules don't mention anything of a 90 day rule.  

The closest thing I've been shown is something in the Geneva document that says if in Thailand and your residence in thailand is a "normal" residemce then you can't use it at all. 

But since most are here on a temporary visas, type of address will not be normal.  It may be that it is the address you are normally at in reference to time but your normal and permanent address will still be in your home country. 

Only if you become an immigrant then your address in Thailand will be normal and you will need a Thai licence.  Otherwise a 1 year IDP will be fine.  Of course authorities can do what they want on a particular day,  but I'm confident enough on the rules. 

Each person should do whats comfortable to them once they gather all the info. 

What ever mate. :coffee1:

18 minutes ago, Aupee said:

I  know I will appear stupid but why do you have to go to immigration to renew your License.

15 minutes ago, Mattd said:

For most it is to get a residency certificate for proof of address, a requirement for those without a work permit.

Or a yellow Tabien Baan 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Found this about not requiring an IDP, .

According to the UN Traffic Act of 1949 and the Thai Traffic Act of 1979, an IDP is not required if you are a tourist/visitor in Thailand as long as your license is in English, has a photo, and your country is a contracting state of the 1949 treaty, which most are. If you are a resident, however, you require a Thai drivers license.

Edit: Although the police don't seem to know about this as when I have been stopped on a tourist visa they only want to see an IDP, not my UK licence. Even though the IDP had expired they were happy with it!

I gathered all the things from the law and treaties already a while ago, see here:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

They should, that's the purpose of registering under the Civilian registration Act.

Yes, but TIT, so they make the rules up as they go along and it suits them, there are reports in TVF of them not accepting it now.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Generally only a hotel can do it online. The majority of landlords do not have this facility. You may be confusing the TM30 with the TM47 (90 days). I am surprised at your (hooker Thai) jibe. Completely unwarranted. I understand why this poster was unhappy with a very silly 1600 Baht fine.

Not correct condo owners who rent units after the first time request are given a registration number and can complete the Tm 30 on line 

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is in the immigration act of 1979.

How it is enforced varies by the office you have to report to. Many do not want you to do the report every time you enter the country and only want one if you change addresses.

At the Jomtien Immigration Office, what form do you need to fill out to report your return within 24 hours? What documents are required? Is a photo required?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

If a Thai is renting a place then the possessor is Thai

For example your GF is renting a place and you just stay there with her: Your GF is the possessor and the landlord is the owner / housemaster. You are just a visitor at this place, but are neither owner, housemaster or possessor, so it's not your obligation to file a TM30. As we know from many reports immigration police still likes to fine the foreigner, simply because it's easier, but it's wrong.

If a foreigner has a rental contract on his own then of course he is the possessor and could be fined neither he nor the landlord files a TM30

Let's say the foreigner, like myself and many others, rent properties through real estate agents. We have no personal contact with the actual owners of the properties we rent. In my case, the owner is a foreigner and I do have a photocopy of his passport ID page, but obviously, no blue book or any documents to prove who owns the property I rent. If the real estate agent doesn't submit a TM30, what to do? I haven't been out of the country yet since they started clamping down on 24-hour reporting upon return last year, so I don't know.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Why their fixation of our whereabouts?

Would you expect your home country to be watching where foreigners are when they are in your country?

Or would you support a policy whereby people (good and bad people) can easily enter your country and are never monitored?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, tropo said:

At the Jomtien Immigration Office, what form do you need to fill out to report your return within 24 hours? What documents are required? Is a photo required?

Download: TM30 Form Notification of aliens staying at a residence

Proof of residence which can be rental agreement with signed copies of owners house book and ID card or if you own your own condo proof of ownership for it.

No photo needed.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

Let's say the foreigner, like myself and many others, rent properties through real estate agents. We have no personal contact with the actual owners of the properties we rent. In my case, the owner is a foreigner and I do have a photocopy of his passport ID page, but obviously, no blue book or any documents to prove who owns the property I rent. If the real estate agent doesn't submit a TM30, what to do? I haven't been out of the country yet since they started clamping down on 24-hour reporting upon return last year, so I don't know.

If you don't know or are unsure,  just go.  If you've gone for a 25 hour Shoppathon and return back to your room just go. They will tell you not to come next time,  but don't let them dictate uncertainty.  Go and go every single time. Treat it as something to do for the day. That way,  you won't be fined.  It's the only way to be sure. 

• Like 2

hello,

But what happens when someone who needs a residence certificate for a new driving license, has never declared living anywhere except on arrival ?

I do not do extensions but leave the country every 3 months, will they see that I left the country and didn't declare my address when I was back ?

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, tropo said:

This all depends on the definition of the word "possessor" (more correctly the definition of the Thai word used in the law).

But in my opinion it makes sense to call somebody who is renting the place (has a rental contract with his name in it) the possessor of the residence, because he is the one who makes the decisions regarding this place as long as he rents it (for example who else stays there)

So if you have a rental contract with your name in it you are probably deemed possessor and you should probably report yourself and show the rental contract to the immigration.

• Like 2

Just now, gaff said:

hello,

But what happens when someone who needs a residence certificate for a new driving license, has never declared living anywhere except on arrival ?

I do not do extensions but leave the country every 3 months, will they see that I left the country and didn't declare my address when I was back ?

Thanks.

If you want a residence certificate, you must have a TM30 receipt slip in your passport.

If you haven't you will be sent to counter 10 and asked to fill in a TM30.

If you have been at your address in Chonburi longer than 3 days and you are not in the database, your landlord or you are likely to be fined 1600 Baht.

You can then proceed to the Certificate of Residence desk.

• Like 1