new rip off now at pattaya immigration

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

So if you have a rental contract with your name in it you are probably deemed possessor and you should probably report yourself and show the rental contract to the immigration.

The thing is, when I went in to fill out a TM30 last year after changing address (I filled out the TM28), it was clear that I needed a copy of some ownership documents from the owner. When I contacted my real estate agent, they drew a blank on this one - i.e. claimed they couldn't get me such documents. I just left it alone. I have since completed 2 yearly extensions and there has never been any mention of TM30's. I haven't been out of the country yet, so that may bring the subject up when I do leave and then go to Jomtien to report my return.

What I do have is a clause in my rental contract that the owner has the obligation to submit the TM30 form and any fines for late or non-reporting will be borne by the landlord.

So I have another question for anyone who has actually paid a fine. Do you get an official receipt?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

It would be useful if someone could show how to report for a TM30 online as they claim is possible. I asked the IO several times how to do it but all he would do is show the URL to immigration website, and grin. Seems it will be best to arrive back on Fridays or Saturdays to avoid the next day trip to the office to tell them again where you live. They do say you have a weeks grace to go, but I would not trust them to change their minds or say the rule has been dropped if I tried it. 

I think individuals even condo owners cannot TM30 notify online. I think the 2 posters on this thread who suggested it is possible are confusing TM 30 notification with TM 47 notification (a.k.a. 90 days). They are 2 separate processes.

As far as I know, it is only hotels who are given this special option by Immigration.

Edited by Briggsy

53 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

It's 24 hours from arriving at your registered residence, not 24 hours from entering Thailand.

That's probably not going to work as anyone could make excuses that they hadn't arrived at their registered address for days or weeks.

You probably have to be registered somewhere in Thailand within 24 hours of arrival.

• Like 1

Just now, Briggsy said:

I think individuals even condo owners cannot TM30 notify online. I think the 2 posters on this thread who suggested it is possible are confusing TM 30 notification with TM 47 notification (a.k.a. 90 days). They are 2 separate processes.

I know one foreign owner who reports his guests' arrival online. He owns about 10 units.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

It would be useful if someone could show how to report for a TM30 online as they claim is possible. I asked the IO several times how to do it but all he would do is show the URL to immigration website, and grin.

You cannot use the online system (Thai text only) unless Immigration register a username and password for you to log in.

It's predominately for commercial business such as hotels and guest house who have influxes of foreigners passing through, but at the sole discretion of the IO they can (and have) registered individuals who frequently exit/re-enter, probably only the case where it makes their life easier.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

That's probably not going to work as anyone could make excuses that they hadn't arrived at their registered address for days or weeks.

You probably have to be registered somewhere in Thailand within 24 hours of arrival.

They do ask "When did you arrive at this address?" at the TM30 desk. And many people do spend a few weeks here and a few weeks there. You never know.

I know one foreign owner who reports his guests' arrival online. He owns about 10 units.

That sounds similar to a hotel (rather than an individual who owns his own condo or self-reports as "possessor").

Just now, Tanoshi said:

You cannot use the online system (Thai text only) unless Immigration register a username and password for you to log in.

It's predominately for commercial business such as hotels and guest house who have influxes of foreigners passing through, but at the sole discretion of the IO they can (and have) registered individuals who frequently exit/re-enter, probably only the case where it makes their life easier.

Any housemaster can register for this system. I had the process explained to me and it doesn't sound easy.

I'll leave the explanation to the experts.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

If you want a residence certificate, you must have a TM30 receipt slip in your passport.

If you haven't you will be sent to counter 10 and asked to fill in a TM30.

If you have been at your address in Chonburi longer than 3 days and you are not in the database, your landlord or you are likely to be fined 1600 Baht.

You can then proceed to the Certificate of Residence desk.

Is this a newly enforced requirement? I got 2 residency certificates late last year with no TM30 receipt in my passport. All I had was a TM28 (change of address) form receipt and my rental contract.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

As far as I know, it is only hotels who are given this special option by Immigration.

U really expect the average chinese and or Russian with max 3 words of English going to understand this?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Briggsy said:

That sounds similar to a hotel (rather than an individual who owns his own condo or self-reports as "possessor").

It's nothing like a hotel. They are private apartments rented out long-term (3 months or more) with contracts.

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

It actually works in your favour.

I never file a TM30 within 24 hours of arriving back home, usually to knackered or jetlagged to bother.

I file 2/3 days later putting the current date on the form. Never asked about the days in-between.

• Thanks 1

Is this a newly enforced requirement? I got 2 residency certificates late last year with no TM30 receipt in my passport. All I had was a TM28 (change of address) form receipt and my rental contract.

Yes, I got 2 residence certificates from Jomtien in May and August last year. 300 Baht each and served with a smile.

I used my rental contract.

Things have changed now. TM30 first or no residence certificate.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

At Jontien it's not required if you haven't changed your registered address and you are on a 12 month extendable visa.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

It's nothing like a hotel. They are private apartments rented out long-term (3 months or more) with contracts.

OK, I will clarify. Your example is a person who has rental income and multiple rooms and multiple tenants. That was my point. It is not a self-reporting individual. Posters are asking about self-reporting online. It is basically not possible for TM30.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

There are individuals who Immigration have registered Briggsy.

One is a personal friend, married to a Thai, on a Non Imm O ME visa. He regularly visits surrounding Countries once a fortnight.

It was Immigration who suggested his wife use the online system to file the TM30's , gave her a username and password.

Guess they were tired of seeing him in the office.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

This is actually my case. I have never met the owner of the condo I rent. She owns many condos. She delegates everything to others. The solution from Jomtien Immigration was to fine the sales and rental office of my condo as they act as agents.

They didn't press you to pay a fine? Did they tell you they are going to chase down and fine the landlord? Did this happen when you went in to report your arrival in Thailand?

My landlord is a foreigner. For much of the year, he's abroad. Would they contact the real estate agency?

23 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I fail to see why a tenant should be penalised for his hotel or landlord failing to obey the law. At no point is it explained to anyone on entry that they need to check to see if their hotel or landlord is doing this job, and the notion of fining someone for the laziness or stupidity of others is just plain daft.

As has been said before on other threads, responsibility for the TM30 is a grey area. Best to treat the issue as like being in Thai traffic - always assume some idiot will do something wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Download: TM30 Form Notification of aliens staying at a residence

Proof of residence which can be rental agreement with signed copies of owners house book and ID card or if you own your own condo proof of ownership for it.

The funny thing is that in May, when I went to do this at the Jomtien office when moving into a rented condo, I filled in the form with my details as "possessor" on the first page and listed myself on the second page as being the person arriving. No problem with that. Maybe the saucy Immigration lady just liked me. I was a day late in reporting and she said in a most pouty way, "why you wait to come to see me?" No fine for the delay, by the way. She also said there was no need to come to see her again after a trip unless I had a change of address. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tropo said:

They didn't press you to pay a fine?

They tried to phone the rental agent. That is usually their first line of attack. I said I would deal with it.

45 minutes ago, tropo said:

Did they tell you they are going to chase down and fine the landlord?

No, they never do this. I don't understand the question. The TM30 desk at Jomtien seem to be reactive not proactive.

46 minutes ago, tropo said:

Did this happen when you went in to report your arrival in Thailand?

Yes, but I was way over the 3 days period.

47 minutes ago, tropo said:

My landlord is a foreigner. For much of the year, he's abroad. Would they contact the real estate agency?

If they were the person you deal with the rental issues, I think they would. However, it would have to be you to introduce this party to their attention. Otherwise they wouldn't know.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Briggsy said:
59 minutes ago, tropo said:

Did they tell you they are going to chase down and fine the landlord?

No, they never do this. I don't understand the question. The TM30 desk at Jomtien seem to be reactive not proactive.

Sorry, I misread your earlier post. You said they fined the sales and rental office of your condo as they act as agents. That would work for me as there is no way I could contact the landlord. The whole point of real estate agents is to distance yourself from landlords, and he pays a fee to distance himself from us LOL. Your situation is exactly the same as mine, so thank you for the info. Maybe the fact that I show them a real estate contract when renewing my annual extension saves me from questions about TM30. There must be a lot of applicants in exactly the same position.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

Sorry, I misread your earlier post. You said they fined the sales and rental office of your condo as they act as agents. That would work for me as there is no way I could contact the landlord. The whole point of real estate agents is to distance yourself from landlords, and he pays a fee to distance himself from us LOL. Your situation is exactly the same as mine, so thank you for the info. Maybe the fact that I show them a real estate contract when renewing my annual extension saves me from questions about TM30. There must be a lot of applicants in exactly the same position.

Yes, everything you say makes sense.

I do a deal with my rental agent (2 very nice, not very-well-paid, hard-working women) that if they get fined, I pay it on their behalf or reimburse them if they actually paid the cash to Immigration. However, we (me and the agents) try to work together to avoid the fines. However, the impracticality of wasting half a day (either me or them) every time me or one of the other foreigners returns to Thailand means it is a pain in the backside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tropo said:

was clear that I needed a copy of some ownership documents from the owner. 

I think you can use an electric bill.  The rental contract and copy of I'd. Should be right. 

But I've been hearing new things lately. 

If the rental contract is from a foreigner owner they may require tax documents to show they are paying tax.  Ouch!

On 8/14/2018 at 6:54 PM, sweeneythailand said:

i do one month in one month out for years never had a problem what new law is it that wants 2 mill people to go to immigration within 24 hours of arrival

There is no new law there just scamming

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 7:06 PM, Briggsy said:

Generally only a hotel can do it online. The majority of landlords do not have this facility. You may be confusing the TM30 with the TM47 (90 days). I am surprised at your (hooker Thai) jibe. Completely unwarranted. I understand why this poster was unhappy with a very silly 1600 Baht fine.

Yes, you can do it online. But first you have to register your house or residence with the immigration police online. Once your house is registered you can do it online without problems.

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Yes, everything you say makes sense.

I do a deal with my rental agent (2 very nice, not very-well-paid, hard-working women) that if they get fined, I pay it on their behalf or reimburse them if they actually paid the cash to Immigration. However, we (me and the agents) try to work together to avoid the fines. However, the impracticality of wasting half a day (either me or them) every time me or one of the other foreigners returns to Thailand means it is a pain in the backside.

Do you know if they issue official receipts for the fines? If I did get fined, I'd need evidence of it.