new rip off now at pattaya immigration

I am in a similar situation, my ex left her/our house and went up country so I can’t get registered. I tried with all the documents I produced in February this year but now they insist that either she is there in person or she gives me a power of attorney. She will not do that for me, and hasn’t given it to anyone else. She did try to register me from up country but it has to be done in Phuket.

i have not tried the online option, is that working for individuals, or just hotels?

On 8/14/2018 at 7:01 PM, Psimbo said:

So you or your landlord failed to register your address as required by law and you feel aggrieved? Son nam na!

It can be done online.

Yes, it can and was. But after a VISA run, one has to do it again or the landlady will get fined 2,000 THB. 

a properly registered address is not enough. Be in Laos for a day? => Go back to start.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Being on a retirement visa (?) and owning a condo does not exempt you from the law.

It's purely dependant on which office you attend and whether they enforce that part of the law.

I met a guy who claims since he owns a condo and has retirement Visa, he does not need to do 90 day reports.

I just tell him Good Luck..

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I met a guy who claims since he owns a condo and has retirement Visa, he does not need to do 90 day reports.

I just tell him Good Luck..

A Canadian told me last week that nationals from Canada, USA and Australian are exempt 90 day reports.

I asked where he got that info from.

He said because they were ASEAN Countries.

I just couldn't be bothered explaining any different, some will believe anything if it suits their needs.

• Haha 2

A Canadian told me last week that nationals from Canada, USA and Australian are exempt 90 day reports.
I asked where he got that info from.
He said because they were ASEAN Countries.

I just couldn't be bothered explaining any different, some will believe anything if it suits their needs.
My wife is Laotian and she has to do 90 day reports! I think Laos qualifies as ASEAN rather better than Canada[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Wullie Mercer said:

Am I correct in saying a person on a retirement visa is exempt from this rule? I have stayed here on a retirement visa and not gone out of the country since 2012 and never filled in a TM 30 or been asked to pay a fine.

It seems so to me for Pattaya anyway  and if they went as far as writing clearly into the law documentation then I could tell you for sure.  But my advice is go anyway and go every time and let them know it would be better to amend the law for everyone.  

Edited by stud858

3 hours ago, Rawairat said:

I am in a similar situation, my ex left her/our house and went up country so I can’t get registered. I tried with all the documents I produced in February this year but now they insist that either she is there in person or she gives me a power of attorney. She will not do that for me, and hasn’t given it to anyone else. She did try to register me from up country but it has to be done in Phuket.

i have not tried the online option, is that working for individuals, or just hotels?

With a copy of her I'd,  a contract to let you live there and an electricity bill,  you should be good to go.  if not, the contract,  then the poa 

8 hours ago, stud858 said:

With a copy of her I'd,  a contract to let you live there and an electricity bill,  you should be good to go.  if not, the contract,  then the poa 

No contract required, just her presence or a PoA which is not forth coming. Will look at the online option with my kid as the go between, she talks to him

On 8/15/2018 at 6:02 AM, sweeneythailand said:

so now we now know that it is some kind of rubbish law we dont kneed it wont work can  not be implemented  and should be scraped as should the Thai driving license a uk license should bee all you need as  it use to be  but now even a international license is not a license in Thailand as it is for the police to make money from any one they want to rip off 400 baht no hat no license no bike papers no tax or any thing else they feel they can get you for.  my neighbour gets it for having a 3 wheeled bike salink     he takes dogs to get treatment  in a cage  400 baht its just ruining the city of pattaya

Not many countries in the world allow you to drive on a foreign license for more than 3 months. Once you hit 3 months you must get a local license. Worldwide for the most part.

Why do you think it's a scam to require you to have registration, crash hat, insurance, and proper bike papers? You should be above the law? I agree the TM30 requirement is BS but the others you stated are normal.

• Haha 1

I do roughly a month in and a month out (in the USA)....I have a Thai Retirement Visa (renewing soon for 3rd year)......... I keep an 'International Driving Licence ' and rewew each year at home for US$20 (700 baht)..... It works great for me.......

• Haha 2

On 8/15/2018 at 2:29 PM, Tanoshi said:

I've known them check us  in using the wife's ID, I'm just ET the 'alien' with the ATM card.  ?

same here, the hotels prefer it that way. I went to Chiang Mai from Surin, before I left I asked at IO if I needed to give up a TM 30 when I came back, "How long will you stay in Chiang Mai?'',   "'Two weeks'',  ''No don't bother''. In Chiang Mai I offered the hotel desk my passport which they ignored and took the wife's ID card instead.

• Like 2

I need to renew my 5 year driving license next year and I am on a one year retirement visa.

Does anyone know if I can get a notarized resident certificate from the U. S. Embassy instead of a residence certificate from Thai Immigration to satisfy the requirement for a residence certificate to renew license.

I prefer to spend $ 50 to obtain a notarized resident certificate from Embassy rather than deal with Thai Immigration.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2018 at 4:51 PM, gaff said:

hello,

But what happens when someone who needs a residence certificate for a new driving license, has never declared living anywhere except on arrival ?

I do not do extensions but leave the country every 3 months, will they see that I left the country and didn't declare my address when I was back ?

Thanks.

Dlt will usually accept a utility bill, rental agreement contract, letter from your juristic person with  her phone number , cert from your embassy confirming your address etc but that will cost ya! 

Immigration can also help you but takes longer because they will probably want to post it to you

If you're on good terms with a local police  they also have the power to write you a note on headed paper that confirms you live in condo xyz (without even checking) and it was accepted to renew my licences

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TBKK said:

Does anyone know if I can get a notarized resident certificate from the U. S. Embassy instead of a residence certificate from Thai Immigration to satisfy the requirement for a residence certificate to renew license.

Yes it will be accepted.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TBKK said:

I need to renew my 5 year driving license next year and I am on a one year retirement visa.

I prefer to spend $ 50 to obtain a notarized resident certificate from Embassy rather than deal with Thai Immigration.  

Or you can get a visa agent to get the residency certificate for you, when I was in Pattaya I always got my visa agent to get them when needed, reasonable cost and saved me having to deal with imm myself.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

I dont see what the big deal is, the Thai license is easy and cheap to get  if you already have a valid foreign license....and it takes a few hours reneal every 5 years..

Except for the first time or when you not have an NON O visa, then It would be 2 years. One disadvantage I guess for the Thai Elite Visa holders.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

No everyone in Thailand is on an "O" visa 

I think he means non immigrant as compared to tourist visa.

I had a 5 year on non imm but was downgraded to yearly because of  going to a tourist visa.. Now its at 2 years. While it was one, the choice for me was IDP was less hassle.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1