So, Rydges Hotel Is Good Value Then?

chanchao

I've checked the hotel poll again, and saw that Rydges came out on top. This also happened to be the place where ###### worked, so I now wonder if perhaps more than one vote came from that corner.

I always disliked Rydges for building something so big and ugly in an area that I thought was protected from hi-rise construction. Yet it is one of the newest hotels in town, with a great view presumably, and as it happens a friend of mine is visiting soon and I have to book something.

So, it's Rydges good value? ###### mentioned a 'Thaivisa.com' rate of 1350 or so, but I've since found cheaper on booking websites. (1260 baht) and also with all the stuff that happened to the guy I wonder if I want to ask for something that ###### arranged.... It would seem to me that if a booking site can offer 1260, that their commission is in there so that the hotel itself should be able to give me something below that, especially being a local resident and all, with the real prospect of follow-up bookings whenever friends or business partners visit town.

So what gives?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

I find 1,150 rate at my normal discounter with ABF. I seriously doubt the hotel would match it.

I have not stayed there and have read mostly negative reviews, from hard beds from everyone to cold water in pool. But most hotels get more bad reviews than good. The recent post about food costs would keep me out but if he takes along your list of places to eat and is willing to go out that should not be a problem.

Oh..!! 'Your normal discounter' is where? Website or travel agent in town?? I'm interested!!

I think you can get unlucky at any upper-mid-range hotel in Chiang Mai.. Some rooms at the Mae Ping are completely horrible.. Same Diamond Riverside.. It sometimes seems that it's better to go for the cheapos, at least when a bed is hard or the TV doesn't have ESPN then at least it was cheap.

Cheers,

Chanchao

By the way:

> I seriously doubt the hotel would match it.

I've always wondered why that is. One of the great mysteries of the world how you can argue and argue and beg and charm and God knows what but they stick to their walk-in rates, and then you walk over to the travel agent around the corner, who gets a cut of course, and the rate is far cheaper!

How do people in the hotel business think??

Cheers,

Chanchao

Staff the front desk with Jobsworths who do not dare to think and that is the result. Seriously though, the front desk are normally given their rates and can not change them. Questions WILL be asked if a guest is accepted under a different rate. Walkouts are unseen and unremarked.

Always bargain with the duty manager!

Have stayed in a dozen or so Hotels in Cm over the years and I would stay or put people up at the Top north because Ideal Location good pool and the price!

We payed around 400-500 baht. rooms are basic and clean

but if you want luxury then there is always the Four seasons-R

I've always wondered why that is. One of the great mysteries of the world how you can argue and argue and beg and charm and God knows what but they stick to their walk-in rates, and then you walk over to the travel agent around the corner, who gets a cut of course, and the rate is far cheaper!

This seems to vary from country to country but in this part of the world, in almost every instance, one can get a better rate on any given hotel through an agent. I've posed this "why" question to any number of people in the hotel industry (i.e. how does it make any sense for a hotel to ultimately take less money from a customer and then have to pay a commission to an agent as well?). The best answer I have received is that if the hotel undercut their agencies, the agencies won't sell that property anymore.

I suppose this philosophy makes a certain amount of sense if the majority of a hotel's business comes from agencies rather than from direct business, be it an advance inquiry or a walk-in. On the other hand, it makes for a self-fulfilling prophecy if the clientele is generally aware that they will receive a crap rate dealing directly with a hotel.

I stayed at the Rydges recently, and will reinforce the hard bed rumor. I slept in 2 different rooms, and in both the bed was so hard I was unable to lie on it comfortably. I do prefer a firm mattress, too.

I stayed at the Empress last December. The beds were very comfortable, and I was overall more pleased with that hotel. There's something in favor of both locations.

Did tuk-tuk rates almost double between December and March? All the tuk-tuk drivers at the Rydges had a sheet with posted rates, which were all about twice what the tuk-tuks at the Empress charged. As an example, I paid 30 baht to go from the Empress to Kad Suan Keaw, while it was 50 baht from Rydges. And it's a shorter, faster easier route from Rydges. I can understand paying more to go from Rydges to the Airport Plaza, but 60 baht instead of 30?

> The best answer I have received is that if the hotel undercut their

> agencies, the agencies won't sell that property anymore.

That's a distinctly pre-information age sentiment.

Perfect argument if you're a cattle trader. If your cattle is informed however, all you do is taking them for fools and making them feel disrespected.

[Not directed at you of course, ranting at hotels in general]

Cheers,

Chanchao

That's a distinctly pre-information age sentiment.

Perfect argument if you're a cattle trader.  If your cattle is informed however, all you do is taking them for fools and making them feel disrespected.

I've used that argument with hoteliers and ultimately, just receive the patented polite blank look or the smile in return.

Truth is, the last thing you want to do is send me back to an agency to <deleted> for a better price. More then once, while investigating prices for hotel A at an agency, I find a better deal at hotel B and wind up booking that property instead. Hotel A thinks it is being really clever and ultimately winds up with a zero-night stay from me.

I don't see how it's ever a good business policy to turn away a customer who has his cash or credit card out and is ready to spend... :o

Did tuk-tuk rates almost double between December and March? All the tuk-tuk drivers at the Rydges had a sheet with posted rates, which were all about twice what the tuk-tuks at the Empress charged. As an example, I paid 30 baht to go from the Empress to Kad Suan Keaw, while it was 50 baht  from Rydges. And it's a shorter, faster easier route from Rydges. I can understand paying more to go from Rydges to the Airport Plaza, but 60 baht instead of 30?

Tuk tuk rates are not set, or organized. If Rydges is giving drivers higher than normal rate sheets to show to customers, my guess is that it's to attract tuk tuk's to hang out at Rydges by suggesting to them that they can get higher rates from Rydges guests...

This is the low season for tuk tuks, too. Don't let them overcharge you. :o

As a general rule, I would likely pass on any tuktuk with a rate sheet. They're bound to push hard for those rates....

Did tuk-tuk rates almost double between December and March? All the tuk-tuk drivers at the Rydges had a sheet with posted rates, which were all about twice what the tuk-tuks at the Empress charged. As an example, I paid 30 baht to go from the Empress to Kad Suan Keaw, while it was 50 baht from Rydges. And it's a shorter, faster easier route from Rydges. I can understand paying more to go from Rydges to the Airport Plaza, but 60 baht instead of 30?

1). No tourist in their right mind should see tuk tuks as a regular, viable mode of public

transport. An interesting 'different' thing to do once just for the sake of having been

in one and taken some pictures: maybe.

2). No person in their right mind should consider even LOOKING AT *any*

stationary public transport vehicle at *any* hotel or tourist spot.

Public transport in Chiang Mai: Red Bus (Rot Daeng / Shongthaew) share-taxis. And then specifically those that are not in the 2) category. Also there's the pink aircon city bus number 10. It's called number 10 but actually there's only one line. It's a useful route though, through the city, past the main department stores, big market, night bazar, airport and Tesco Lotus.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Truth is, the last thing you want to do is send me back to an agency to <deleted> for a better price. More then once, while investigating prices for hotel A at an agency, I find a better deal at hotel B and wind up booking that property instead. Hotel A thinks it is being really clever and ultimately winds up with a zero-night stay from me.

I don't see how it's ever a good business policy to turn away a customer who has his cash or credit card out and is ready to spend... :D

àÍÍæææææææææææææææææææææææææææææææææææææææ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't possibly agree more. :o

Lopburi3, Thanks for the link!!!!

I like the Top North too. That was actually my second suggestion to my visiting friend, in case he wants to spend a bit less.

Also does anyone have experience with the B.P Chiang Mai Hotel. (Formerly Felix City Inn) ? I really like the location which is inside the old city, but completely not in a touristy area. Also like the location of the Chiang Mai Gate hotel for the same reason.

1). No tourist in their right mind should see tuk tuks as a regular, viable mode of public transport.  An iteresting 'different' thing to do once just for the sake of having been in one and taken some pictures: maybe. 

2). No person in their right mind should consider even LOOKING AT *any* stationary public transport vehicle at *any* hotel or tourist spot.

You know that, I know that, but how many first-timers would have a clue, especially the ones who tend to stay at the higher end hotels where there is usually a "shark tank" of drivers awaiting them the moment they step off the hotel property? :o

ou know that, I know that, but how many first-timers would have a clue, especially the ones who tend to stay at the higher end hotels where there is usually a "shark tank" of drivers awaiting them the moment they step off the hotel property?

chanchao 

I knew that. I happen to like tuk-tuks. They remind me of the trikes I used as transportation when I lived in the Philippines. I also knew not to pay what they first asked for the price, but to bargain. The ones at the Empress bargain cheerfully, the ones at Rydges pull out the price list and imply that the hotel requires them to have a set fee, so as to not overcharge the tourists. Someone at Rydges needs to be beaten with a cluebat until either those tuk-tuk drivers decide to charge the normal tourist prices or they get different tuk-tuk drivers. I pissed them off by walking when I didn't like their prices. It's not really THAT far to the US Consulate.

> I pissed them off by walking when I didn't like their prices.

GOOD! ;-) Way to go.. Aside from hotels being unreasonable about rates, tuk-tuks preferring to sit there all day doing nothing instead of workign for a living with regular fair prices annoy me just as much. Actually I would have grabbed a passing red bus or other tuk tuk right in front of their faces.

Cheers,

Chanchao

A little late for the thread but for info purpose - Stayed at Rydges a week or so ago and walk in rate was 1680, walked up the street towards the stalls on the pavement (opposite side of road) walked through the walkway through the wall on right turned left and paid 1200 next door to the 711 walked back to rydges and checked in (excersize in stupidity but a 3 minute walk was quite a saving).

Agree the beds are firm but this seems to be a trend with most better hotels lately and personally I prefer them. Nice breakfast and good service but also agree do not fall for the tuk tuk bullshit.

Stayed at Rydges a week or so ago and walk in rate was 1680, walked up the street towards the stalls on the pavement (opposite side of road) walked through the walkway through the wall on right turned left and paid 1200 next door to the 711 walked back to rydges and checked in (excersize in stupidity but a 3 minute walk was quite a saving).

Once again, I don't really see how this sort of pricing behaviour serves anybody all that well but then I'm not some big hotel pooyai so what do I really know? Glad to see that it's not just me that encounters this sort of stuff though, misery always loves company... :o

It would seem to me that if a booking site can offer 1260, that their commission is in there so that the hotel itself should be able to give me something below that, especially being a local resident and all, with the real prospect of follow-up bookings whenever friends or business partners visit town.

So what gives?

Cheers,

Chanchao

There is no real logic to the pricing.

The internet rate for Comfort Suites (BKK Airport) is quoted as being Baht 1,400 and yet direct to the hotel it is Baht 1,700.

The agents must get "f... a..." as a commission ???