Meditating in Wats in CM-Which Ones?-Protocol?

OliverKlozerof

I’ve been living in BKK 12 years. Now retired and exploring other parts of Thailand. Now in Chiang Mai...I’ve just walked into temples in middle of day that were open, to meditate for an hour or so (I bought some light pants to cover my knees).

I can no longer sit on floor, so now sit on edge of chair or bench, etc. Many temples have had a long, elevated ‘bench’ along one side where it looks like the monks will sit sometimes. Yesterday an old monk at one temple offered for me to take one of the monks’ cushions from the elevated area and put it in the floor in front of the Buddha image. He seemed to speak no English and my Thai is just basic. But he seemed to be implying that the elevated (carpeted) area may be for monks only? I demonstrated how I can’t sit on the floor and then he gestured to take one of the chairs and bring it to the center of the room, which I did. I also turned on a nearby fan and directed at me to help with the heat.

Anyhow, anyone know the protocol for meditating in wats? And, if you know CM, do you know of any wats (in or close to the old city), that are especially quiet/nice to meditate in?

Oh, it also might be nice to attend some dhamma talks in English, if there are any.

Thx, DP

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They used to do fairly organised meditation groups at Wat Suan Dokh and at one time they had something at Wat Srisuphan but that was a while ago.

Yes the raised carpeted area is for monks only. But if you want to sit and meditate on a chair in the normal viharn area, I doubt anyone would object. Just ask first and once they understand you want to sit and meditate, most would probably  be delighted.

There are some temples that don't always open their viharn (main hall) so you might want to check first.

In the central area, avoid the famous wats , as you will have a constant stream of tourists.

Wat Srisuphan you would probably be OK, its not too busy. Wat Lamchang off Moonmuang in soi 7.

Wat Ou Sai Kham between Changmoi and Tapae (abbot is very well travelled and speaks basic English)

Wat Mahawan on Tapae Rd

There are a number of others which are very quiet in the same areas.

If you want to drop in and just meditate casually rather than do a residential retreat then Wat Umong is a good bet. 

After you go through the main gates immediately veer left and you will find the international meditation centre, depending on the time of the day you should find a group of foreigners meditating in a hall which is the first main building you come to on the road that branches to the left, unless things have changed in recent years.

Archived