FORD Ranger Raptor Worth 1.7M?

kwak250

On 6/3/2019 at 1:33 PM, canopy said:

After reading this thread I see the Thai version of the raptor's puny engine is uninspiring and gets embarrassed by a vigo. How shameful this is for a flagship product which is fitted with a big, strong, respectable engine in other countries but is dumbed down so much for Thailand. But make no mistake, Ford made the right decision and I give them full credit for that. Just read this thread. People will still buy it and even stand up for this joke excuse for an engine and pay gobs of money for it. So given a market of fools Ford would be stupid to put a decent engine in it when they can laugh all the way to the bank like they are doing now. Just look it's made in Thailand with a laughing stock engine and yet it costs more than raptor sells for in the US with a good engine! Incredible.

The one good thing I came away with thread is the mercedes x class could be a decent alternative with a v6 if it ever comes to Thailand. If the x class engine also gets dumbed down for Thailand I will be more than happy to criticize mercedes or any other badge for that matter. There is no way I could ever be proud of a car with a puny, mediocre, 4 cylinder engine that is half or a third the size it should be to match the product it is in. You like the big truck with a little weak engine and I like the big truck with the big strong engine. You have a right to your opinion and I have a right to mine. But some of us see through the gimmicks and look at the cold hard facts of reality.

Engines that can produce more than 220 HP is taxed too much in Thailand. They can sell big engines here, but no one will buy them because it's too expensive.

12 years ago, Toyota sold a 3.5L V6 version of the Camry, it was assembled here, and the price tag was 2.9 million baht mostly because of the HP figure and partly because of the displacement.

And today you see 90% of cars sold here do not exceed 220 HP. Ranger, Volvo V60 T5, Mercedes E250, C250, BMW 328i, 320D, all are just under 220hp.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, MatteoBassini said:

Engines that can produce more than 220 HP is taxed too much in Thailand. They can sell big engines here, but no one will buy them because it's too expensive.

12 years ago, Toyota sold a 3.5L V6 version of the Camry, it was assembled here, and the price tag was 2.9 million baht mostly because of the HP figure and partly because of the displacement.

And today you see 90% of cars sold here do not exceed 220 HP. Ranger, Volvo V60 T5, Mercedes E250, C250, BMW 328i, 320D, all are just under 220hp.

Also going by the accidents here they struggle to keep 150 hp on the road without ramming everything in sight.

8 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Also going by the accidents here they struggle to keep 150 hp on the road without ramming everything in sight.

As I posted in another thread, and as you raised an issue about impacting other vehicles, this is what happens when a Ford Ranger was smashed head on into by a Mini in the UK.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-48514448

8 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

As I posted in another thread, and as you raised an issue about impacting other vehicles, this is what happens when a Ford Ranger was smashed head on into by a Mini in the UK.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-48514448

WOW - RIP to the couple. Side impacts are bad, this looks like hit the Q Panel on an angle, not head on. But the cabin looks to be mostly intact and with 6 airbags, what happened - looks like engine was forced sideways as well, not into the cabin? I am not a crash expert though...

• 1 month later...

Archived