FORD Ranger Raptor Worth 1.7M?

kwak250

I do like the new Fortuner always tempted to buy one rather than a pick-up but the price difference always pushed me towards the pick-up.

Got a Revo 2.4 which does around 12 km/l around town which is fantastic my old vigo 3l probably did 9km/l when i drove it like a nun.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/22/2019 at 2:03 PM, kuma said:

Its a 2.0 to be precise - and as noted comes with twin turbos

I bought a last gen 2.2 6AT in a 2018 XLT - that 2.2 single turbo with the Livonia 6AT is a great combination.

Not sure how the twin T 2.0 10AT will fare, time will tell.

DId see the local dealer with a raptor racing a new hilux 2.8 the other day on the 3493, hilux won the day, but was a curve in the road, perhaps the raptor lifted the foot - not sure.

More than one comparison/review from the Australian motoring press has pointed out that the Ranger Raptor isn't a racing car.

For me, just looking at the size and shape tells me that.

Maybe it was the stickers that fooled 'em?

More than one comparison/review from the Australian motoring press has pointed out that the Ranger Raptor isn't a racing car.

Does anyone buy a diesel pickup thinking it’s going to be a racing car?

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

No argument here, i do not judge truck engineering based on racing prowess

11 hours ago, mogandave said:

You’re local, yes?

I live in Thailand but no, I'm not a local.

We get it, you’re not a Ford guy.

I am a 'Ford guy'. I am on my 4th Ford, three of them in Thailand including two serial Rangers.

What do you drive?

2014 PX/T6 Ranger 3.2 WT AT.

That's how I know it's not a racing car.

To clarify: another member wrote that he saw a Ranger Raptor and a Vigo 'racing' and the Vigo 'won'. I commented that the motoring media has already reported that it's a bit of a slug in the straight line. When I said it's not a racing car, it was quicker than saying that the engine, drive and suspension has been configured for a higher-speed, off-road lifestyle. By the same token, neither is it a tradesman's workhorse as the torque is managed differently and it can't carry or tow the same as the regular WT's. You don't need to be carrying pig-feed or towing a trailer at around 60 mph flat-chat across the outback just as much as you don't need 10-speed AT and tuned Fox suspension for lane-changing on the Bangkok ring-road either... like the locals do.

In Texas terms, it's a real fancy, small truck. The girlfriend has this one.

Hennessey-Ranger-Raptor.thumb.jpg.def61ad96add0a45d46b68e16bf8eabd.jpg

2014 PX/T6 Ranger 3.2 WT AT.

That's how I know it's not a racing car.

To clarify: another member wrote that he saw a Ranger Raptor and a Vigo 'racing' and the Vigo 'won'. I commented that the motoring media has already reported that it's a bit of a slug in the straight line. When I said it's not a racing car, it was quicker than saying that the engine, drive and suspension has been configured for a higher-speed, off-road lifestyle. By the same token, neither is it a tradesman's workhorse as the torque is managed differently and it can't carry or tow the same as the regular WT's. You don't need to be carrying pig-feed or towing a trailer at around 60 mph flat-chat across the outback just as much as you don't need 10-speed AT and tuned Fox suspension for lane-changing on the Bangkok ring-road either... like the locals do.

In Texas terms, it's a real fancy, small truck. The girlfriend has this one.

Hennessey-Ranger-Raptor.thumb.jpg.def61ad96add0a45d46b68e16bf8eabd.jpg

I don’t think people are generally fooled into believing it is a race car. I have a Fortuner TRD because I like the black/red interior, it never occurred to me that it would be any faster than any other 2.8 ‘tuna.

I’ve had a ‘53, a ‘68 and a ‘89 Ford, they were all pretty good. Almost bought the new Ranger when it came out but I didn’t think the dealer network was well enough developed at the time.

Since I’ve been here I’ve had:
2D, MT, Toyota Tiger
4D, AT, 4WD, 3l, Isuzu Dmax
4D, AT, 3l Isuzu Dmax
4D, AT, 3l Isuzu DMax
2D, MT, 2.5l Isuzu Spark
2.8l TRD Toyota Fortuna

In my opinion, the DMax is a much better value than Toyota.

6 hours ago, mogandave said:

I don’t think people are generally fooled into believing it is a race car. I have a Fortuner TRD because I like the black/red interior, it never occurred to me that it would be any faster than any other 2.8 ‘tuna.

Agreed. But many pickup drivers like to punch it and throw it around like it is a racing car... just like anything they drive here really and that includes 10-wheel trucks as well!

When you consider that TRD means Toyota Racing Development and Toyota likes to stick that badge on premium-priced Vigos and Revo's, maybe it's understandable why the average Somchai lets his/her inner Schumacher off the leash when he/she gets behind the wheel.

6 hours ago, mogandave said:

In my opinion, the DMax is a much better value than Toyota.

Mate of mine has had a D Max, his first pickup, for maybe 5 years now and won't part with it. Or rather his wife won't let him as she uses it more than him. I have had a few rides in it and admit it was pretty decent and far better than the Vigo's and Fortuners I had on various longish rentals.

15 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

After the one called ‘Piston Broke’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shouldn't there be an  AND ?    Pissed on AND broke ........ 

good title for a thai centric novel.

18 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Agreed. But many pickup drivers like to punch it and throw it around like it is a racing car... just like anything they drive here really and that includes 10-wheel trucks as well!

When you consider that TRD means Toyota Racing Development and Toyota likes to stick that badge on premium-priced Vigos and Revo's, maybe it's understandable why the average Somchai lets his/her inner Schumacher off the leash when he/she gets behind the wheel.

Mate of mine has had a D Max, his first pickup, for maybe 5 years now and won't part with it. Or rather his wife won't let him as she uses it more than him. I have had a few rides in it and admit it was pretty decent and far better than the Vigo's and Fortuners I had on various longish rentals.

LOL - sometimes, regardless of what you're driving - you need to punch it!

2.2 is good enough out the hole when required, and at about 1900-2200rpm, prior to that seems at bit sluggish (if i recall correctly, will remind myself tomorrow)

On 5/26/2019 at 2:14 PM, mogandave said:

Not calling you a liar, but I’d have to see 16-17km/l, that seems pretty strong.

My 3l Isuzu averaged 12.3 over the almost five years I drove it, and the 2.8 ‘tuna has averaged something less than 9 for the year and a half I’ve been driving it.

Ok, today in to sin city for 90 Day n more.

About 160 km std, and hete are the results for fuel, I tell you this 2.2 is an exceptional performer, 5.8l/100km. 96% highway, about 46km construction in 36 and a bit if rain. You can see there is just over 7k km in this one, I expect from previous experience that this will get even better after 10k, once it really breaks in fully.

IMAG1615.jpg

Just now, kuma said:

Ok, today in to sin city for 90 Day n more.

About 160 km std, and hete are the results for fuel, I tell you this 2.2 is an exceptional performer, 5.8l/100km. 96% highway, about 46km construction in 36 and a bit if rain. You can see there is just over 7k km in this one, I expect from previous experience that this will get even better after 10k, once it really breaks in fully.

IMAG1615.jpg

Some spelling errors, on the phone, but I think the point gets across

On 8/17/2018 at 1:42 PM, bkk75 said:

It's called "I'm old expat and on fixed income that hate it here but can't leave for all the logic in the world" syndrome. "_"

Am sure we all wish you luck......:cowboy:

On 5/31/2019 at 9:38 PM, kwak250 said:

Must admit that is great fuel economy.

Anyone own a Ranger Raptor? What do they do per 100km?

It would be interesting.

My mileage posted there was as described, virtually all highway (though there was a stretch of stop and go on the 36) so, to a point above, my average FE I dont know...I will load up a tank and set the trip to run til empty (for me half is empty but that will still give a representative sample of a few weeks driving) and see where it comes out.

I have an XLT Open Cab 2.2 AT 2WD, so at a minimum the Raptor loses out in terms of 4WD, more weight from 4 door cab, and possibly other factors, but I think those aside curb weight should not differ (maybe a twin turbo 2L is lighter than a 2.2L turbo). The raptpr has more expensive flared and molded steel to give it that wider more aggressive look, but how much more weight those panels add im not sure.

After reading this thread I see the Thai version of the raptor's puny engine is uninspiring and gets embarrassed by a vigo. How shameful this is for a flagship product which is fitted with a big, strong, respectable engine in other countries but is dumbed down so much for Thailand. But make no mistake, Ford made the right decision and I give them full credit for that. Just read this thread. People will still buy it and even stand up for this joke excuse for an engine and pay gobs of money for it. So given a market of fools Ford would be stupid to put a decent engine in it when they can laugh all the way to the bank like they are doing now. Just look it's made in Thailand with a laughing stock engine and yet it costs more than raptor sells for in the US with a good engine! Incredible.

The one good thing I came away with thread is the mercedes x class could be a decent alternative with a v6 if it ever comes to Thailand. If the x class engine also gets dumbed down for Thailand I will be more than happy to criticize mercedes or any other badge for that matter. There is no way I could ever be proud of a car with a puny, mediocre, 4 cylinder engine that is half or a third the size it should be to match the product it is in. You like the big truck with a little weak engine and I like the big truck with the big strong engine. You have a right to your opinion and I have a right to mine. But some of us see through the gimmicks and look at the cold hard facts of reality.

1 hour ago, canopy said:

After reading this thread I see the Thai version of the raptor's puny engine is uninspiring and gets embarrassed by a vigo. How shameful this is for a flagship product which is fitted with a big, strong, respectable engine in other countries but is dumbed down so much for Thailand. But make no mistake, Ford made the right decision and I give them full credit for that. Just read this thread. People will still buy it and even stand up for this joke excuse for an engine and pay gobs of money for it. So given a market of fools Ford would be stupid to put a decent engine in it when they can laugh all the way to the bank like they are doing now. Just look it's made in Thailand with a laughing stock engine and yet it costs more than raptor sells for in the US with a good engine! Incredible.

The one good thing I came away with thread is the mercedes x class could be a decent alternative with a v6 if it ever comes to Thailand. If the x class engine also gets dumbed down for Thailand I will be more than happy to criticize mercedes or any other badge for that matter. There is no way I could ever be proud of a car with a puny, mediocre, 4 cylinder engine that is half or a third the size it should be to match the product it is in. You like the big truck with a little weak engine and I like the big truck with the big strong engine. You have a right to your opinion and I have a right to mine. But some of us see through the gimmicks and look at the cold hard facts of reality.

The Ford truck 2.7 V6 turbo is quicker than the Ford 5.0 V8 and 6.7 V8 diesel....

I think you are wrong that the Ford 2.0 engine is weak..

2 hours ago, canopy said:

Trolling pretty hard, slow day?

LOL

I own a Thai Ranger, but am on the record as certainly being no fan of F and its senior management, it is a horribly run entity and has been slowly disintegrating for decades. That said it has recovered before, but it seems almost always to lower highs, so see if they can do it again

As for powertrains in the Thai market, I have no idea what you base your comments on but they dont align with my experience.

Yea my last truck at home was 6.7L, but that does not fly here, nor even the currently too expensive eco 6 cylinders, they would be priced out of this market.

2.2. and 3.2 hold up well with other Thai offerings. 2.0 twin turbo, im not sure, we will see. 

21 hours ago, canopy said:

I guess you'll just have to keep on pounding your "no replacement for displacement" meat for as long as you can.

In other news Ford USA have revealed that their top-selling F-150 is going to be available with electric drive.

At least there won't be any oil stains to clean up on the driveway any more eh?

Now THAT'S a reality I can accept.

21 hours ago, canopy said:

Archived