Education Visa? Want to stay in Udon Thani

In light of the posted notice in Vientiane of cracking down on people abusing the tourist visa, does this mean that the above information doesn't apply anymore? If I am obtaining my 3 tourist visa from Vientiane this year, does that constitute the kind of suspicious passport activity they are referring to?

Also, is it now advisable to have roundtrip air tickets, or are they asking for it? And if I am declined, will I be able to re-enter for 30 days (or up to 30 days)?

Edited by ThaiRebound

An informative thread and great responses from the experienced fellas - as always. 

If I might ask: there seems to be a consensus that you can't use SE TV for years in a row any longer. Would you be able to tell if immigration 'sent him home' after 4 concurring visas, 6, 8, 12 or just 3? (making numbers up). 

I'm about to apply for my third consecutive tourist visa (just 3 days abroad in-between) at Vietnam:

1 - Sweden

2 - HCMC

3 - HCMC (upcoming) 

(I had 1 TV during 2017 but stayed/worked in Sweden for 5 months before applying for the above mentioned #1) 

- Will stack 20k+ Baht

- Printout of rental contract of condo

- Printout of bank statement

- Prepared to answer 'no' on all questions of employment and stick to a story of that I like to travel around in Thailand

- Leaving and returning via BKK Airport

- When returning to Thailand/BKK Airport IM I'll have a printout of a return ticket back to Sweden within 90-days

I've been losing some sleep over already booked 2x airtickets + 3 nights hotel for this "visa run". 

What are my chances? 

12 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

In light of the posted notice in Vientiane of cracking down on people abusing the tourist visa, does this mean that the above information doesn't apply anymore? If I am obtaining my 3 tourist visa from Vientiane this year, does that constitute the kind of suspicious passport activity they are referring to?

Also, is it now advisable to have roundtrip air tickets, or are they asking for it? And if I am declined, will I be able to re-enter for 30 days (or up to 30 days)?

Not really sure what the notice is implying. I think you could get a 3rd one issued but you might get a stamp on the visa sticker tell you it is the last one.

The are not asking for tickets out of the country. 

No problem to get a 30 day visa exempt entry if they refused your application unless you have already done 2 of them this year at land border crossing.

• Thanks 1

Update: I got the stamp this time that notifies me this is the last one. I spoke with to other people. One had re-applied for his visa consecutively and succeeded in getting one for over to years but this time had received the 'last-one' stamp. The other person was renewing his for the 5th time, and though he had not received a last-notice stamp the last time, he was denied. 

What can that person do to get back into Thailand to retrieve his things?

What can I do to optimize my chances of getting another visa in 3 months? How are my chances? After the 3 months, would it be possible (or even a good idea) to leave and re-enter for 30 days?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

What can that person do to get back into Thailand to retrieve his things?

If he qualifies for a visa exempt entry he could get 30 days on entry at Nong Khai unless he has already done 2 of them this year. Or by air.

What can I do to optimize my chances of getting another visa in 3 months? How are my chances? After the 3 months, would it be possible (or even a good idea) to leave and re-enter for 30 days?

Getting a new passport would clear your record of tourist visa at Vientiane and other embassies and consulates.

You could get a 30 day visa exempt entry. Immigration does not pay attention to those stamps on a visa.

• Like 2

Hi UbonJoe, great stuff here, thank you!

The other guy will probably wait until new year and get his 30 days visa on arrival. 

Is it possible to use the visa with last-time stamp to get another visa at Vientiane? Would it work to do that elsewhere? How about home country, for the METV? 

Do you or does anyone know the quickest way and path for me to replace passport? By the way, I am a US Citizen in Udon Thani. Do I apply in-person, and can it be mailed to me? Any idea of the turn-around time between applying and picking-up? 

TR

The other guy will probably wait until new year and get his 30 days visa on arrival. 

There is no 30 day visa on arrival so I assume you mean a 30 day visa exempt entry. A visa on arrival is only for 15 days after applying for it and is only for those certain countries.

Is it possible to use the visa with last-time stamp to get another visa at Vientiane? Would it work to do that elsewhere? How about home country, for the METV? 

You certainly will not get another tourist visa in Vientiane. Most nearby locations would not issue another tourist visa with that stamp. Probably no problem in home country to get a METV.

Do you or does anyone know the quickest way and path for me to replace passport? By the way, I am a US Citizen in Udon Thani. Do I apply in-person, and can it be mailed to me? Any idea of the turn-around time between applying and picking-up? 

You can apply by mail for your passport. If you apply in person now they cancel your old passport after you apply for the new one and mail the new one to you. See: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/

It take around 2 weeks to get a new passport.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no 30 day visa on arrival so I assume you mean a 30 day visa exempt entry. A visa on arrival is only for 15 days after applying for it and is only for those certain countries.

You certainly will not get another tourist visa in Vientiane. Most nearby locations would not issue another tourist visa with that stamp. Probably no problem in home country to get a METV.

You can apply by mail for your passport. If you apply in person now they cancel your old passport after you apply for the new one and mail the new one to you. See: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/

It take around 2 weeks to get a new passport.

Yes, my error with the visa. The passport info and link are helpful resources, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Now that I have this effectively last-time stamp, which of these options is not possible:

1. Go back to US with current passport and apply for METV (also, Can I get 30 day visa exempt at NK-VT border if I use this current passport?)

2. Go back to US, change passport before, and apply for METV from there

When I change my passport, do I have to change any information on it (name order,etc.)? Does it matter that they will have my pre-existing info (visa history) on their computer screens? Will it matter if I go to Vientiane,  or should I go somewhere else if I apply in SE Asia for SETV again?

Thank you~

TR

You could also get METV from your home country and if used carefully, that will give almost 9 months. People have reported back-to-back METVs. But long term on tourist visa is becoming hard.

Thailand seems to be wanting wealthy long-term tourists and one option is to use Elite Visa as some poster has suggested. It is 500K (baht) or approximately USD16K.

If you're young (between 30-40 or even less) and only want to spend a few years (2/3), it is not a good option. In that scenario, it is better to go for METV. 

Love, marriage, wife is another option. Another option is to find a job. I don't know your situation and qualification, etc. If you're an independent freelancer working online, you can look into iglu or coffee asia. They will give you Business visa and WP and for a percentage of your incomes. You can look into those also. 

Im interestes with iglu or coffee asia but i cannot find reference for coffee asia.

Can you explain more about this?
Do you have personal experiences about this?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

Hello,

Now that I have this effectively last-time stamp, which of these options is not possible:

1. Go back to US with current passport and apply for METV (also, Can I get 30 day visa exempt at NK-VT border if I use this current passport?)

2. Go back to US, change passport before, and apply for METV from there

The only reason to change passports would be if you intend to get more Tourist Visas at consulates near Thailand in the future.  This is the only case where your "remark stamp" on that Tourist Visa will matter.  The remark should not affect your ability to get a METV in the USA.

You could also get a new passport over here, as your METV is coming to an end, if you decided to get more SETVs close to Thailand in the future.

When I change my passport, do I have to change any information on it (name order,etc.)? Does it matter that they will have my pre-existing info (visa history) on their computer screens? Will it matter if I go to Vientiane,  or should I go somewhere else if I apply in SE Asia for SETV again?

As things stand now, with a new passport, there is no need to change any personal data on your passport - it will not matter.  Consulates only count the Visas they see in your current passport when determining whether to add a "remark stamp" to the Tourist Visas they issue.  They do not try to disqualify you based on Visas issued by them (or elsewhere) in past-passports.

There are some indications this may change in the future -  that Consulates will be given access to the immigration database - but this has not yet happened, and we do not know how/if it will change policies at various Consulates (may vary per-each).

Edited by JackThompson

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 10:42 PM, JackThompson said:

The only reason to change passports would be if you intend to get more Tourist Visas at consulates near Thailand in the future.  This is the only case where your "remark stamp" on that Tourist Visa will matter.  The remark should not affect your ability to get a METV in the USA.

How about ability to get a Tourist Visa from non-contiguous country, either China/HKG or Vietnam?

11 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

How about ability to get a Tourist Visa from non-contiguous country, either China/HKG or Vietnam?

I am not sure you can get one in China (residents only?).  It could affect Vietnam or Hong Kong, but not sure what their policy is on "remark stamps".  Policy is entirely up to the consul, and can vary from one consulate to another in the same country.

Edited by JackThompson

5 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

So, getting METV from US can be affected? Any thoughts on the likelihood of rejection?

Like Ubonjoe said check on your requirements from your thai embassy in US.  Where Im from they seem to be changing the rules yearly!  I need to show equiv 200k bht in a bank for 6mnths and in the UK they also need to show a letter from a employer! Which wont be easy if your using visas to live here.

10 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

I need to show equiv 200k bht in a bank for 6mnths and in the UK they also need to show a letter from a employer! Which wont be easy if your using visas to live here.

You can form your own company in your home country and produce a letter on company letter head. Many digital nomads do it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

You can form your own company in your home country and produce a letter on company letter head. Many digital nomads do it. 

Thats a interesting point! I saw on the uk website mentioning if you had your own company you need to include a  "self assesment" would that mean a previous tax return from your company?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just want make sure I understand correctly:

If I leave and re-enter through Nongkhai/Vientiane, U.S. passport with remark (something like: "bad farang entered too many times on tourist visa and spent money so we can pay Europeans to design our country's infrastructure"), can I likely re-enter right away no-visa entry, or will they bias me because of the remark? Would it be 30 days, or do they mod that in the non-generous direction of 2 weeks (<30 days) sometimes or often?

4 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

can I likely re-enter right away no-visa entry, or will they bias me because of the remark? Would it be 30 days, or do they mod that in the non-generous direction of 2 weeks (<30 days) sometimes or often?

There is a restriction of 2 visa exempt entries at land border crossings per calendar year (Jan 1 to Dec 31st). When that rule went into effect the 15 day entry rule was rescinded. You will always get a 30 day visa exempt entry now.

On 2/9/2019 at 8:19 AM, BigT73 said:

Thats a interesting point! I saw on the uk website mentioning if you had your own company you need to include a  "self assesment" would that mean a previous tax return from your company?

That is what some report using for the UK.

11 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

Hi, I just want make sure I understand correctly:

If I leave and re-enter through Nongkhai/Vientiane, U.S. passport with remark (something like: "bad farang entered too many times on tourist visa and spent money so we can pay Europeans to design our country's infrastructure"), can I likely re-enter right away no-visa entry, or will they bias me because of the remark? Would it be 30 days, or do they mod that in the non-generous direction of 2 weeks (<30 days) sometimes or often?

The remark you reference (with appropriate humor) would be on a Tourist Visa, and should not affect entering with the Visa having the remark, or a subsequent Visa-Exempt entry at that entry-point, based on reports in the last few years. 

OTOH, if entering at a Bangkok Airport, you could have problems with or without any remark.