Eleven months smoke free!

Samui Bodoh

Well done Sam!

You must have already done something that works.

I did something really stupid to help me quit. It was a dark and gloomy night in Calgary on New Years Eve when I again made a predictable resolution... to of course...stub a butt for the last time. Who doesnt make some outrageousresolution like that on New Years Eve?  Well, it only took me a couple days to realize, that while living with a few smoking roomies, I would have to do something a little more extreme to help me get on with it.

There was a community swimming pool a couple of blocks away, which I passed nearly every day. without paying it much mind. But since i had time to kill, I went in and grabbed a schedule.

The next day, I bought a bathing suit and some goggles and went back to swim. The first week was a lot of splashing and coughing..... but I wasnt smoking!..the following week, I swam an entire length of the pool, nonstop!  That winter I spent so much time in the pool, I actually got to the point where I was swimming over a mile at a time, nonstop. I just wanted to spend so much time in the pool, so i wasnt able to smoke.

It seemed to have worked.. its been almost 40 years now, and the thought of smoking does nothing more than amuse me a bit.. which is a long way from a 2+ packs a day habit!

Get wet my friend! would be my prescription.

I quit 30 years ago, now 65.  My first wife of 36 years quit the day she found out she had small cell lung cancer.  She took chemo and radiation but that just gave her another year of pain and suffering.  Then she died.

Small cell lung cancer is the worse cancer.  First it metastasized to the spine and engulfed the L3 &L4 vertebra. Basically broke her back.  At the end it surrounded the esophagus and it was death by slow strangulation.  99% caused by smoking.  No cure and no surgery options, 100% fatal.  It has 2 stages, 1 & 4, with only 20% chance of non mestasis within 5 years of diagnosed stage 1, then it rages to stage 4.  On the US SSA disability list for automatic approval.  So stage 1 maybe 5 years before it starts. Stage 4, the most common, give weeks or a year if you choose nasty chemo and radiation burns.

It takes years for your lungs to become healthy again.  Never go back.  Good luck, I hope this scares someone to quit and those that quite to never go back.

15 hours ago, BestB said:

Yes and no. You are smoking but not inhaling all the harmful chemicals that cigs contain.

it is also possible to vape nicotine free and/or herbs 

Believe vaping is illegal here, but like many things  if you dont do it in public you may be safe .... https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/thailand-vape-ban-travellers-10-year-prison-e-cigarettes-use-bangkok-holidays-uk-a7893981.html

2 minutes ago, RicUSA said:

Believe vaping is illegal here, but like many things  if you dont do it in public you may be safe .... https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/thailand-vape-ban-travellers-10-year-prison-e-cigarettes-use-bangkok-holidays-uk-a7893981.html

You are correct it is illegal but as you said , if you discrete about it then no harm . Do note ejuice is sold at every market, also plenty of local sites selling all the rest.

for me personally , my health outweighs stupid laws

Started at 15 and smoked 23 years believing I was capable if I decided. I first noticed I had both a mental and physical addiction and quitting was nearly impossible. I made myself a deal that I would only smoke while walking during exercise. The ability to smoke and exercise is nearly impossible. Now 31 years smoke free. Amazing how many years the recollection of the addiction lasts

21 hours ago, AsiaHand said:

Good on you mate.It has been 51 years for me now and I hope that you will surpass that. and live beyond my years (born in  1938 and still going strong).

Good on you AsiaHand. It's been 49 years for me. Although I had only smoked for eight years, I was smoking six packs of unfiltered Lucky Strike cigarettes a day. I simply quit cold turkey. You and I both quit when smoking was first widely-recognized as being harmful. I've had two good friends die here in Thailand from lung problems and I have one more whose lung capacity is low and life-threatening and he still lives in Bangkok. All were heavy smokers. 

I went to see a shrink about quitting smoking. He asked me if I was breast-fed when I was an infant. I said no I was not breast-fed. "Ah ha," he said. "That's where the problem started" he continued. The need to suck the teat is very strong in mammals he said. So you were deprived of a very strong biological need that surface when you are an adult because you have repressed it too much for too long.

This sucking on the end of a fag is very much an act of sucking on the teat of your mummy. So what do I do now I can't go back and suck my old mother sagging dried up teats now can I? I asked my shrink.

The shrink said, "you can always pay some young ladies and ask to suck their teats, you will be surprise

how this wonderful therapy system works." It works all the time he assured me.

If only the government allow long line of wooden shack to be built in Pattaya where you pay to go in and have a teat sucking session to quit your smoking addiction. Say 100 bath for 2.5 minute sucking therapy.

Well, wouldn't be a bad thing would it? It's just like putting your legs in the tank for the fish to eat the dead skin.

There should be a timer so you don't get short change on the time.

Smoked cigarettes from 14 to 21. Took up a pipe after watching my pipe-smoking uncle working the farm at age 80. You don't inhale. I've enjoyed premium tobacco now for 55 years at a fraction of what cigarettes cost. Heart strong (recent stress test), doctor says lungs perfect. I can still swim a mile a day. No, I don't smoke around otheres, so give that a rest. Relieves stress, the real killer.

Archived