Even at 38 baht to the pound most retirees won’t and cannot leave Thailand

webfact

On 8/17/2018 at 12:35 PM, BritManToo said:

I believe we had a thread where many of us can live happily on 20k/month.

I'm OK with 25bht/pound, but I'd probably jump to Vietnam or Philippines where western currency drops are usually matched by the local governments.

If the pound drops more the suiside rate will go up many older expats have their life savings here but live on pensions from the uk.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/17/2018 at 12:35 PM, robblok said:

Whenever I read about the pound and Brexit I imagine Mel Gibson waving his big sword and shouting BREXIT. (i know the Guy is American and the movie is about Scottish freedom). Anyway that image always comes up to mind.

I wonder how many of the Brexit supporters (expats) would still support Brexit at 38 to the pound.

I thought Mel Gibson was an Aussie Rob.

On 8/17/2018 at 3:10 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am not from the UK but I still worry about Brexit. I am also not from the US and I worry about Trump. Both are shocking developments which are not good signs for a future peaceful world. When I was young there were lots of borders and many currencies and little international contact for normal people, there was also no internet. Later borders were removed, the euro was introduced, and people had more and more international contacts. Many thought that is the direction to go to have finally one day world peace (please don't laugh, I talk about long term future).

All this is now going down the drain with people like Trump and stupid ideas like Brexit.

It's not only about money. It's about our kids and our planet's future!

It is mostly about money, why do you think most of the politicians want to stay in.

On 8/17/2018 at 3:23 PM, james1995 said:

they could take up an income producing hobby.  might supplement their incomes.  i run a little online gig and it's bringing in 30,000 baht weekly.  started out as a hobby and now i'm doing it full time.  people are so jealous because they don't believe me.  but here i am, living in thailand on it.

Good luck to you, but keep your mouth shut about it.

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Health Insurance is something to have when older.

I'm "older" now, been here 15  years  but can't get health insurance at a reasonable price because I have to many "pre-existing conditions" 15 years ago I never knew what that meant!!

I am lucky in that I can self-insure for now, but if I blew all I had put aside on one big illness (heart, cancer etc) I would then have no more for a second incident so I would have to start selling my UK assets to survive...and with the current exchange rate...well

The rates you are talking about are ,I suspect today's rates.

Don't forget that those of us who have been receiving pensions for many years started at a much lower rate, which will never increase due to government action. 

With the Brexit devaluation and lack of any annual increase I reckon I'm around 40% worse off than 15 years ago, at least .

3 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

I'm "older" now, been here 15  years  but can't get health insurance at a reasonable price because I have to many "pre-existing conditions" 15 years ago I never knew what that meant!!

I am lucky in that I can self-insure for now, but if I blew all I had put aside on one big illness (heart, cancer etc) I would then have no more for a second incident so I would have to start selling my UK assets to survive...and with the current exchange rate...well

It also depends on the choice of hospital. I'm thinking of getting comparative rates in CM for all the big hospitals, because several are purported to be considerably more expensive. I'm referring to the daily rate if I was occupying a bed.

It's a pity there is not a consumer group which could publish the comparison; however, in Thailand they would probably get sued for defamation.

2 hours ago, NorfolkBoy said:

For Many of us living on an extension to stay based upon marriage, the main worry is not the cost of living here but the need to show 40,00 baht income to support a Thai wife. it is a big leap to find the lump sum to make up the income for a retirement visa

Just get your marriage VISA at Savannakhet, 5000bht for 15 months (5x 90days), no need to show any income or savings.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It also depends on the choice of hospital. I'm thinking of getting comparative rates in CM for all the big hospitals, because several are purported to be considerably more expensive. I'm referring to the daily rate if I was occupying a bed.

It's a pity there is not a consumer group which could publish the comparison; however, in Thailand they would probably get sued for defamation.

Chiang Puak hospital behind small bus station, never need to go often but over last 25 yers used them, good fast inexpensive nice doctor went there two days ago for medical certificate for renew driving license cost 80 Baht.

On 8/17/2018 at 2:35 PM, vogie said:

I am talking about expats that live in Thailand too, if you have been following any of the brexit threads you would realise it's not all about money, that said nobody likes to take a drop in ones lifestyle but some think what is best for our country is paramount.

I have read your reply again and I appologise if this doesn't answer it.

Brexit best for your country and not about the money?  Ok you may get your dream of a free independent poor country with a third world currency and no immigration.  Enjoy. 

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

Ryanair, London - Prague rtn £29.38

Air Asia, Bangkok - Kuala Lumpur rtn £95.86

But he was talking about travelling around Thailand.

To travel around the UK is very expensive.

Plenty of cheap flights outside of Thailand though.

Air Asia, CNX to Hanoi Vietnam 1,090bht in November.

On 8/17/2018 at 9:19 AM, Janner1 said:

I write here entirely without prejudice 

The pound is in fact a very strong currency however it is being manipulated by the greedy money mongers in London and in particular by the Bank of England who are all remainers and set a course of punishment for the leavers but their actions are in fact punishing everybody except the said bankers and money manipulators, (but then when do they ever lose)

The situation in England is such that unemployment is now down to just 4% and continuing to fall, order books are full for our products not because the pound is low but because if we leave the control of the EU extortionate costs and charges levied by Germany and Brussels will disappear..

It is on record that just 5 minutes after the result of the Brexit poll was announced most of the major economies across the world flooded the British government with requests for business deals.

The biggest problem facing Britain is that we have a remainer pretending to be a leaver stalling on Brexit in order to force us into another vote because no deal will have been done, and until such times as someone grow a pair of balls and tells this horrible bunch of thieves and thugs in Germany and Brussels exactly where to go Carneys carnage will continue to exact punishment on us all.

carneys carnage  _  i like that a lot 555

On 8/17/2018 at 9:24 AM, vogie said:

I should imagine most would, it has never been about money.

I am sorry, but you are flying far out in the unknown. Everything that happens inside a country, and/or is related to all possible international levels the country or its people are involved in has to do with money.

32 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't see anything defamatory in publishing different hospitals prices for either surgery or accomodation.

Many people discus prices like this on the Health Forum.

But as a rule of thumb, the more a hospital looks more like a hotel than a hospital the more it's going to cost you for everything !!

31 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Brexit best for your country and not about the money?  Ok you may get your dream of a free independent poor country with a third world currency and no immigration.  Enjoy. 

In your opinion but not in everybody elses.

3 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

So you think It's easily doable to get 45.000 Baht for 1069 GBP when the exchange rate is 38 Baht to the pound?

That is what Dan quoted.

bangkok bank was showing 43.02 to the pound today for notes

so yes, 45,000 baht is doable still

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Nah, I just moved back to the UK. Rent, about the same (in BKK). Food, toiletries etc in UK supermarket, 1/2 or 1/3 of Thai supermarket prices ( cheddar cheese is about £10/lb in Bangkok, £2/lb in Asda/UK).

The same/comparable clothes, about same-same.

Computers & peripherals, same-same.

A pint of lager in a UK pub (regular price, not happy hour), around £3.30 (138 Baht) average.

I was here first in 1985 when Thailand was dirt-cheap (and still a much poorer country than it is today). Since then it's like we keep on unthinkingly saying Thailand's "so cheap", whilst it's getting gradually more expensive.

nailed it completely

48 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

And what are you basing this in depth study on, bar room talk? It's time to wake up Wake Up.???

Archived