Even at 38 baht to the pound most retirees won’t and cannot leave Thailand

webfact

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

A pint of lager in a UK pub (regular price, not happy hour), around £3.30 (138 Baht) average.

That is incorrect .

The cheapest place for a pint in the UK is Hertfordshire , where its 3.31 quid a pint , the most expensive place is Surrey , where its 4.40 quid a pint and some London pubs charge over a fiver a pint

On 8/17/2018 at 12:40 PM, AtoZ said:

I guess people should think twice to have a kid after being 50++ y old and without a nest egg

I guess people should think twice to have a kid after being 50++ y old and without a nest egg

24 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That is incorrect .

The cheapest place for a pint in the UK is Hertfordshire , where its 3.31 quid a pint , the most expensive place is Surrey , where its 4.40 quid a pint and some London pubs charge over a fiver a pint

lol mate its £2.30 literally all day in pub 200 metres from me in south west

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:
4 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

So you think It's easily doable to get 45.000 Baht for 1069 GBP when the exchange rate is 38 Baht to the pound? 

That is what Dan quoted.

bangkok bank was showing 43.02 to the pound today for notes

so yes, 45,000 baht is doable still

Maybe try to read once again

when the exchange rate is 38 Baht to the pound?

For curiosity I wanted to run a scenario at a 38 baht to the UK pound and crunch some numbers around that point. To me it looks fairly tight. The lowest UK pensions come from the North East of England where they get on average, after tax, £269 a week. So let’s say £1,069 a month which is 45,000 baht to live on in Thailand.

And you seem to have a different Bangkok bank than others, because mine shows 41.36 today

image.png.5d42b30f2e07c0bca4deccbf6e631905.png

Meanwhile at Kasikorn

image.png.c7f0ea2649b3dccadba9d3564cb4e12e.png

Mel’s family moved to Australia from America where he was born when 12 years old,mother was Australian,don’t complain if your from England us Aussie’s in same boat with pension at around 45.000 baht per month and yes only 4 years ago was getting around 30 baht for $1

1 hour ago, Grusa said:

Almost as bad as those silly 30 somethings on line who claim  they can retire to Thailand with USD 250k in the Bank...little do they know...if they aint living under a bridge currently...they will be loving under a bridge when they are in their 50s 

23 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Where did your regional pension rates from?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You're asking me? Try asking Dan, since he posted them in the OP, and actually that is not the point I'm making, but 38 times 1069 was never 45.000 in my maths class

12 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

People in the Euro zone have been down to 38 Bt. (less today) for quite a few years and seem to survive ok ..why is it different for Brits?

Not only that , the Americans only get 32 and they seem to be doing OK .

If Americans get 32 , Brits cant complain about getting 38

14 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

People in the Euro zone have been down to 38 Bt. (less today) for quite a few years and seem to survive ok ..why is it different for Brits?

Yeah and Australians at 23.

Wow, I can't even imagine I answered such a question

On 8/17/2018 at 12:35 PM, robblok said:

Whenever I read about the pound and Brexit I imagine Mel Gibson waving his big sword and shouting BREXIT. (i know the Guy is American and the movie is about Scottish freedom). Anyway that image always comes up to mind.

I wonder how many of the Brexit supporters (expats) would still support Brexit at 38 to the pound.

It's a wonder any supported it at all!

29 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Yeah, and people from the USA only get 33 or so and they do ok... someone else care to explain!!

I wonder how many of the Brexit supporters (expats) would still support Brexit at 38 to the pound.

I should most people who voted, looked at the bigger picture , rather than just selfishly looking at the exchange rate .

There are more important issues, rather than getting four baht per Pound less .

On 8/17/2018 at 12:40 PM, robblok said:
On 8/17/2018 at 12:36 PM, BritManToo said:

PS. I thought Mel was Australian)

My mistake i think you might be right.  

He was born in America but spent time in oz eating Vegemite sandwiches and saying G'day mate.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:19 AM, Janner1 said:

I write here entirely without prejudice 

The pound is in fact a very strong currency however it is being manipulated by the greedy money mongers in London and in particular by the Bank of England who are all remainers and set a course of punishment for the leavers but their actions are in fact punishing everybody except the said bankers and money manipulators, (but then when do they ever lose)

The situation in England is such that unemployment is now down to just 4% and continuing to fall, order books are full for our products not because the pound is low but because if we leave the control of the EU extortionate costs and charges levied by Germany and Brussels will disappear..

It is on record that just 5 minutes after the result of the Brexit poll was announced most of the major economies across the world flooded the British government with requests for business deals.

The biggest problem facing Britain is that we have a remainer pretending to be a leaver stalling on Brexit in order to force us into another vote because no deal will have been done, and until such times as someone grow a pair of balls and tells this horrible bunch of thieves and thugs in Germany and Brussels exactly where to go Carneys carnage will continue to exact punishment on us all.

I could be wrong (certainly would not be a first) but the EU do not appear to be negotiating in good faith. There a 2 possible Brexit outcomes (ignoring the 3rd possibility of Brexit cancelled) 1) No agreement and crash out to WTO rules and 2) A negotiated Brexit with little changing to the status quo other than officially we are not a member. Everyone seems to agree that crashing out will be bad for the EU but worse for the UK. However, the EUs preferred negotiated Brexit would still leave things almost as bad for the UK but be a significant improvement for the EU. For that reason I prefer the Hard Brexit.

Mark Carney (the governor of the bank of england) has admitted his overreaction to the Brexit vote caused the pound to lose value. He lowered interest rates to counter a predicted collapse in the economy which didn't happen. He cannot now raise interest rates too fast for fear of creating a recession. However, he made a keynote speech recently which was very negative about Brexit and this has caused the pound to drop further. He knew his speech would do this but he made it anyway. As his predictions were so wrong about Brexit I think he is trying to force the issue so he can say 'I told you so'. I think the man should <deleted> off back to Canada.

On 8/17/2018 at 12:40 PM, AtoZ said:

Good to see the milk of human kindness is flowing as usual on this forum.

3 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Why would the economy collapse 2 years before an actual brexit?

His theory was that investors don't like uncertainty so would panic and withdraw funds from the UK because of the leave vote but it didn't happen and the economy is still doing well. It's up 0.4% in the 2nd quarter this year which matches the EU average and is better than France and Italy. Unemployment is at its lowest level since the 1970s. However, much of a currency's strength is created by foreign investment in government bonds and guilts but with interest rates so low they don't look attractive. A weak sterling does make UK goods cheap abroad so exports are booming. The UK has a trading deficit with almost all the EU countries so a weak pound has made imports from them more expensive too. This, however, has not caused inflation to rise too much which is at a steady 2.5% up from 2.4%. I don't think we will see a significant increase in sterling value until interest rates rise - they are currently at their third lowest levels since WW2 - 0.75% ?

On 8/17/2018 at 6:36 AM, ThaiPauly said:

People will just have to suck it up, especially if they have a wife, let alone children.

If they want to go back to their country of origin and take their wife then there are all the visa issues, if they are past retirement age they have to show 62,000 GBP in the bank in the UK for example, they have to show they have somewhere to live in the UK......impossible unless they are going to live with their children.

It just won't work.

Or maybe the "official" world (already well on the back of the curve) will have to acknowledge the true realities of the intermingled/international/interwoven human experience in the 21st century........and beyond.

And so will we.

Whenever I read about the pound and Brexit I imagine Mel Gibson waving his big sword and shouting BREXIT. (i know the Guy is American and the movie is about Scottish freedom). Anyway that image always comes up to mind.

He's Australian.

Archived