Yellow Book

I've heard a bit recently about the farang's house registration "Yellow Book", in fact I was even asked at Pranburi Transport office this morning if I had one. 

This is my situation. Retired here on annual retirement extensions. Not married but in a long term relationship with a Thai woman (5 years now) she owns her home in Korat and has her own tabian bahn and address. Next year I'm thinking about living there on a full time basis and registering that address with Korat immigration and having that address as my official address in Thailand.

Can I get a yellow book? Or do I need to be married in order to obtain one?

You don't have to be married to get a yellow house book. You only need your partners permission to get it based upon hers.

Every Amphoe can have different requirements. I suggest you check with them as to what is required to get it.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You don't have to be married to get a yellow house book. You only need your partners permission to get it based upon hers.

Every Amphoe can have different requirements. I suggest you check with them as to what is required to get it.

Thanks Joe.

13 hours ago, Hoppyone said:

Curious what paperwork  are you supplying for your current retirement visa , in regards to a full time address

Rental agreements from apartments I've rented. Plus for the past decade I used a visa agent to do my renewals, so things go very smoothly. Cost more but money well spent IMO. However, next year, if registered at partner's address with a yellow book, I'll do my extensions myself from then on.

41 minutes ago, TSF said:

Rental agreements from apartments I've rented. Plus for the past decade I used a visa agent to do my renewals, so things go very smoothly. Cost more but money well spent IMO. However, next year, if registered at partner's address with a yellow book, I'll do my extensions myself from then on.

Ok thanks

35 minutes ago, TSF said:

The Yellow house book is immaterial to Immigration when applying for an extension.

You will still need signed copies of your partners Tabien Baan and ID card as proof of address.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TSF said:

Can I get a yellow book? Or do I need to be married in order to obtain one?

You need to check the local requirements at the Amphoe office in Korat.

As UJ stated, there is no requirement to be married, or home owner according to the law, but Amphoe's have been known to insist on such conditions. You can also obtain a Thai ID card for foreigners immediately after receiving the Tabien Baan.

I was lucky, my Amphoe office only required a copy of my passport photo page (+ Thai translation) copy of my current extension, copy of TM6, 2 x passport photo's, copy of wife/partner/landlords Tabien Baan and ID card and of course their attendance to sign for permission to use their address for registration. 40 minutes later walked out with TB and ID card.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The Yellow house book is immaterial to Immigration when applying for an extension.

You will still need signed copies of your partners Tabien Baan and ID card as proof of address.

Not a problem, I'll see them prior to going for my next extension, with my partner, and will find out what they require. 

42 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You need to check the local requirements at the Amphoe office in Korat.

As UJ stated, there is no requirement to be married, or home owner according to the law, but Amphoe's have been known to insist on such conditions. You can also obtain a Thai ID card for foreigners immediately after receiving the Tabien Baan.

I was lucky, my Amphoe office only required a copy of my passport photo page (+ Thai translation) copy of my current extension, copy of TM6, 2 x passport photo's, copy of wife/partner/landlords Tabien Baan and ID card and of course their attendance to sign for permission to use their address for registration. 40 minutes later walked out with TB and ID card.

Sounds good, I'll be checking it all out next year We're going to Australia for the summer at the end of next month, and will be back in Thailand Jan, 2019. So after we get back I'll get registered with Korat Imm, then I'll look into the yellow book, plus that farang ID card, my next retirement ex isn't due until end July 2019, so I would have had a few dealings with Korat Imm by then.

18 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Only if you move.

So what exactly does "move" mean? If for example I'm registered at my TGF's address in Korat and I have the yellow book, but we go for a holiday to Koh Samui and I rent an apartment for a month. According to Thai imm law I have to notify that I'm now at another address. So does that mean the yellow book is finished/cancelled? and I'd have to reapply for a new one a month later when we return to Korat after our Samui holiday?

1 hour ago, TSF said:

So what exactly does "move" mean? If for example I'm registered at my TGF's address in Korat and I have the yellow book, but we go for a holiday to Koh Samui and I rent an apartment for a month. According to Thai imm law I have to notify that I'm now at another address. So does that mean the yellow book is finished/cancelled? and I'd have to reapply for a new one a month later when we return to Korat after our Samui holiday?

'Move' as in a change of permanent address, whether in the same Province or elsewhere.

You'd be required to notify Immigration on a TM28 in that situation.

Staying somewhere else for short periods would be a 'temporary residence'. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

'Move' as in a change of permanent address, whether in the same Province or elsewhere.

You'd be required to notify Immigration on a TM28 in that situation.

Staying somewhere else for short periods would be a 'temporary residence'. 

OK got it, thanks.

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What do you use your yellow book for, and how often?

Well I was asked by Pranburi DLT last Friday if I had a yellow book, if I did I could have saved myself 1000 Bt and a trip to Imm Off' to get residency certificates. But, I've been living in Thailand for the past 40 years and I've got along fine so far without a yellow book.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What do you use your yellow book for, and how often?

It's not a case of how often I use it, it's a case of the convenience of having one.

I've used the Thai ID card more often, and that only comes after getting the book.

Obtaining a driving licence.

Renewing driving licence.

Purchase a car.

Purchase a motorcycle.

Renewing road tax.

Renewing vehicle Insurances.

Tax revenue registration and annual returns.

Open new bank accounts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

It's not a case of how often I use it, it's a case of the convenience of having one.

I've used the Thai ID card more often, and that only comes after getting the book.

Obtaining a driving licence.

Renewing driving licence.

Purchase a car.

Purchase a motorcycle.

Renewing road tax.

Renewing vehicle Insurances.

Tax revenue registration and annual returns.

Open new bank accounts.

I have done all of those easily, with exception of annual returns, without a yellow book or Thai ID card.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:
20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

for, and how often?

I've used the Thai ID card more often

You mean the Non-Thai ID card.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Dear all,

I am in the process of applying to obtain the yellow book. I will register at the address of my girlfriend's mom house, but at the same time I live in a house for rent, what would the process be like? What address should I have on the TM30? In the case of getting married, where should I register my marriage and take my photos? Will I have a problem if I am registered in the house of my girlfriend's mom and at the same time I have a rental contract in another house? The registration at the address of my girlfriend's mom house would only be to get the yellow book and then apply to the pink ID card.

Thank you

Edited by Medinitas

I've currently got an application in progress for the yellow book (and pink id card). I'm on non-o retirement. 

My local office sent off to immigration for a record of my entries and stays in the Kingdom. I'd never heard of this requirement before and they showed me a page of another applicant as to what they were needing. They made no mention of the qualifying criteria. See attached. Apparently it takes a month to get this. Has anyone else encountered this requirement? I thought at first they were slowing things in expectation of tea money but gf says not. 

This is in Phyathai in Bangkok. They don't speak English there and are not very helpful. I own my own condo. 

They wanted following documents/coppies:

Passport certified by embassy, translated and certified by MFA, visa, tm6, land register, property purchase contract, 2 independent witnesses (took gf and condo manager). Letter from condo management company saying I lived there. Existing blue book for the condo (I got this when purchased but of course, it has no names). Bank book and statements.

They've had all the above but can't issue the yellow book until hearing back from immigration. 

Has anyone else been asked to wait for a report from immigration as below regarding entries and stays? 

20190314_131100.jpg

Edited by soi3eddie
Added info

I've currently got an application in progress for the yellow book (and pink id card). I'm on non-o retirement. 

My local office sent off to immigration for a record of my entries and stays in the Kingdom. I'd never heard of this requirement before and they showed me a page of another applicant as to what they were needing. They made no mention of the qualifying criteria. See attached. Apparently it takes a month to get this. Has anyone else encountered this requirement? I thought at first they were slowing things in expectation of tea money but gf says not. 

This is in Phyathai in Bangkok. They don't speak English there and are not very helpful. I own my own condo. 

They wanted following documents/coppies:
Passport certified by embassy, translated and certified by MFA, visa, tm6, land register, property purchase contract, 2 independent witnesses (took gf and condo manager). Letter from condo management company saying I lived there. Existing blue book for the condo (I got this when purchased but of course, it has no names). Bank book and statements.

They've had all the above but can't issue the yellow book until hearing back from immigration. 

Has anyone else been asked to wait for a report from immigration as below regarding entries and stays? 
20190314_131100.thumb.jpg.a3e449dcd754d3c785bbc235a4921378.jpg

As is the norm here differing rules depending on the Amphur you visit.

Mine ( Bang Pa In ) asked for Passport certified copy from British Embassy then translated at MFA , then added Birth certificate translated at MFA.
Then !! , wanted my Decree Nisi certified at Embassy then translated at MFA.
Here I drew the line and decided not to proceed as couldn’t face another Embassy appointment and travel into BKK.

No mention of the immigration record but that was surely to come along with anything the headman could think of to hinder my progress.

The value of the yellow book and pink card is debatable ( and indeed has been debated many times on here).

It can be as easy as walking in with your passport or can cost you an arm and a leg ( in time and money ), or, of course, any variable in between.

• 8 months later...
On 8/17/2018 at 4:06 PM, ubonjoe said:

Ubon Joe...Any idea where in the law it says it's not a requirement to be married?