Quick question regarding US Passport inquiry.

I have been contacted by a local US Citizen. I am the Civilian Volunteer Liaison (once known as Provincial US Consulate Warden) person here in my province and thought I would ask a quick question... is there a way to ascertain if a US Passport has been "flagged" or some other issue PRIOR to going to the Embassy/ Consulate for what I am being told is for a  passport renewal (I do not know and nor did I ask for the reasons for their question/concern)?

I ask this here simply because I cannot seem to get anyone at the embassy/consulate to answer said question or the letter to answer the phone for that matter. However, I thought it might be useful information to have on hand and so share. I have a feeling that there is no way to do it... but one never knows?

Thank you in advance.

There are only 2 reasons I am aware of that can keep a person from being allowed to renew a passport.  One is delinquent child support payments. Not sure if it has gone into effect yet there is one for owing more than $50,000 in taxes.

I would think the person renewing their passport would be aware of those reasons.

There is some info here about child support. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/legal-matters.html

• Thanks 1