The reasons we fly the flag

rooster59

22 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I am always puzzled, how countries like Thailand or China mimic Western nationalism of the early 1900s, as if they 'missed out' on something and wanted to catch up.

Well that's interesting, I see nationalism emerging again in the Eastern Europe, across the Chanel and the Atlantic....

Maybe you meant the "early 2000s"?

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Its nice to see folks respect their flag and country. 

Why? 

Does respect for the country always imply respect for the flag? Would those few patriotic Germans who fought against the Nazis have respected the swastika? Would a black slave, born in Dixie, who deserted his confederate master to fight in the Union army have respected the COnfederate flag?

44 minutes ago, tomta said:

Why? 

Does respect for the country always imply respect for the flag? Would those few patriotic Germans who fought against the Nazis have respected the swastika? Would a black slave, born in Dixie, who deserted his confederate master to fight in the Union army have respected the COnfederate flag?

Reductio ad hitlerum, Im gone from this one.

4 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Well that's interesting, I see nationalism emerging again in the Eastern Europe, across the Chanel and the Atlantic....

Maybe you meant the "early 2000s"?

With "Western" I did not mean Eastern Europe, but rather the loud 'we are number one in the world and superior' nationalism known from around 100 years ago in places like Germany ('master race'), Italy, Britain (arms race, colonialism) and France (in regards to their colonialism, as well as religion: 'a true French has to be a Catholic')...

On 8/18/2018 at 1:36 AM, rooster59 said:

Wissanu noted that King Rama VI even developed a new shade of blue for the flag. “It’s a mixture of blue and purple,” he said. “Blue is widely recognised as the colour of the monarchy, while purple is the colour associated with King Rama VI’s 

Not a lot of good for those with Protanopia .. 

Nations should be an outdated idea already. With internet tech you could have real time elections on all the time and organically form Edo-period styles villages for people who think the same. Would be nice to have a proper clash once in a while and tourism would be far better, like going to a rabbit food eating village full of feminists to create some mayhem. No need for centralized power struggles.

On 8/18/2018 at 8:02 AM, Eligius said:

Yes, take great care of that precious flag - while trampling human beings and their rights underfoot on a daily basis.

not just Thailand does that .. There are counties worst than Thailand

• 2 weeks later...

Archived