Expensive helmet didn't save motorcyclist decapitated on Big Bike in Bangkok

rooster59

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Liverpudlian said:

Spare a thought for the moping up crew.

I've often thought about these people, the Suwang Boriboon and even onlookers, no one seems to get grossed out by the  'left overs', personnally i look away, i'm a bit squemish with gore....

18 year old Thai guy, Bangkok roads, CBR650.

It's hardly surprising.

There are 2  highschool kids near me that ride a CBR650 to school.

What are their parents thinking, I think. 

Then I see the rest of the kids on their scooters, racing on the street at 4pm, 3 school kids to a scooter, no helmets, weaving in and out of the traffic having great fun at full throttle, the police, teachers, parents do nothing....

Yeah, Thais. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2018 at 10:08 AM, spidermike007 said:

This is a ridiculous story. Any accident that severe would result in major injury or death. Regardless of the quality of the helmet. When riding a bike in Thailand, it makes sense to use as high quality helmet as you can afford. The head is a precious thing. But, when one is decapitated, it really does not matter how good the helmet is, does it? This guy was obviously driving very recklessly, with no regard to his safety, and an absolute sense of denial of his own mortality. 

It is almost as if the entire society here is in denial, about the benefits of safety equipment, and helmets. 

You dont need a helmet goggles or anything else other than shorts and flip flops if you have an amulet on the bike

4 hours ago, travelling wilbury said:

You dont need a helmet goggles or anything else other than shorts and flip flops if you have an amulet on the bike

So thought the tens of thousands who have passed into the next world. As a wise prophet once said, "God helps those, who help themselves". Sloth is never to be confused with spiritual understanding. Superstition perhaps. 

On 4/21/2019 at 6:37 PM, KhaoYai said:

I wince every time I see people wearing those cheap 'Index' helmets or other brands available in supermarkets - they are probably less than useless.

Certainly better than nothing.  I purchased a new Index lid yesterday for less than 700 THB and there really won't be much difference between that and an expensive one.  

Put it this way, if everyone in Thailand wore and secured even a cheap Index lid then the daily death toll would drastically decrease overnight.  

It's a moot point in this thread, though, as nothing was going to save the young lad other than a miracle which obviously didn't happen.  

After looking at the damage to the bike,  I almost wonder if this was a suicide?   I wonder if the kid was trying to do himself in?    Anybody look into the events in his life right before his death?

What a mess.   I ride a CB500x and suit up even in the heat.  Boots, Good helmet,  Gloves,  Long trousers and even a mesh top with shoulder/arm full ce back and chest plates too and never drive at night or with booze in the system.

The only thing I worry about is getting tanged from the back when I am waiting in a U turn.   

Not much you can do when that happens,  but keeping it under 100 and good gear might help.

On 8/18/2018 at 10:08 AM, spidermike007 said:

This is a ridiculous story. Any accident that severe would result in major injury or death. Regardless of the quality of the helmet. When riding a bike in Thailand, it makes sense to use as high quality helmet as you can afford. The head is a precious thing. But, when one is decapitated, it really does not matter how good the helmet is, does it? This guy was obviously driving very recklessly, with no regard to his safety, and an absolute sense of denial of his own mortality. 

It is almost as if the entire society here is in denial, about the benefits of safety equipment, and helmets. 

They are in denial about so many things here, this is just one more on a very long  list. 

On 5/10/2019 at 5:27 PM, OneEyedPie said:

Certainly better than nothing.  I purchased a new Index lid yesterday for less than 700 THB and there really won't be much difference between that and an expensive one.  

Put it this way, if everyone in Thailand wore and secured even a cheap Index lid then the daily death toll would drastically decrease overnight.  

It's a moot point in this thread, though, as nothing was going to save the young lad other than a miracle which obviously didn't happen.  

That is such utter rubbish as to be dangerous to the ill informed.  A cheap plastic helmet is as much use as a Big C paper bag.  Worse still, in an even minor accident,  it  can fragment on impact and the resultant shards of plastic will do serious damage all on their own. A high quality helmet is the only option for anyone sensible.  

Just now, Pilotman said:

That is such utter rubbish as to be dangerous to the ill informed.  A cheap plastic helmet is as much use as a Big C paper bag.  Worse still, in an even minor accident,  it  can fragment on impact and the resultant shards of plastic will do serious damage all on their own. A high quality helmet is the only option for anyone sensible.  

Trust me it won't shatter at the slightest as I've had a good bash at my previous one, same make and model, and my point stands that it's much better than nothing.  If I come off the bike and bash my head on the road then the initial impact will protect my head.  If a lorry comes thereafter and crushes my head then that's nothing to do with the helmet.

You'll also note that there's so many variables to an accident that 'one size doesn't fit all'.  

We're only on the motorbike around town and reaching anything more than 25mph is impossible.  So, actually, I've thought through the usage and average speed about town and the helmet is totally suitably for the environment.

Now if I was out on the main drag travelling at 30mph+ then I'd purchase a far superior version.

You're response is therefore entirely ill informed.  

18 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Trust me it won't shatter at the slightest as I've had a good bash at my previous one, same make and model, and my point stands that it's much better than nothing.  If I come off the bike and bash my head on the road then the initial impact will protect my head.  If a lorry comes thereafter and crushes my head then that's nothing to do with the helmet.

You'll also note that there's so many variables to an accident that 'one size doesn't fit all'.  

We're only on the motorbike around town and reaching anything more than 25mph is impossible.  So, actually, I've thought through the usage and average speed about town and the helmet is totally suitably for the environment.

Now if I was out on the main drag travelling at 30mph+ then I'd purchase a far superior version.

You're response is therefore entirely ill informed.  

It's your head mate. 

10 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It's your head mate. 

Thanks for your input and no feelings of personal animosity received or transmitted, Pilotman.  This particular skidlid is quite robust and will definitely not shatter under normal conditions about town.  I really do value my head and this one fits the requirements all things considered.

Now, if only the rest of the locals would purchase this lid and secure it by the chinstrap, particularly their kids.

I think we can all agree that most fatalities are as a result of the initial impact of head against road.  

On 8/18/2018 at 8:29 PM, a977 said:

In Australia you have to be 17 to obtain a drivers/riders licence, in case of bike you are restricted to bikes under 250cc for first 2 years then you can apply for open licence for bigger bikes, this entails a new test. This bullshit about getting licence at 15 so you can ride to school is exactly that bullshit.If Thailand really wants to reduce motorbikes deaths by 50% maybe they should take a leaf out of Australia's book. Nah that not going to happen no tea money for RTP 

They are too busy implementing Japanese driving laws.

14 hours ago, Pilotman said:

There is alot of truth to that. Yes, if you fall off you bike a 15kph, a cheap helmet might save your noggin. But, in any sort of high impact crash, a high quality helmet will make a huge difference. Even a Real Helmet, which are only 2,000 baht or so, is a pretty well made helmet. Made to far higher specs. After all, the head is a valuable thing. 

The way I look at it, is that my life is complicated enough without a brain injury. 

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There is alot of truth to that. Yes, if you fall off you bike a 15kph, a cheap helmet might save your noggin. But, in any sort of high impact crash, a high quality helmet will make a huge difference. Even a Real Helmet, which are only 2,000 baht or so, is a pretty well made helmet. Made to far higher specs. After all, the head is a valuable thing. 

The way I look at it, is that my life is complicated enough without a brain injury. 

on a motorbiker, never skimp on a very good helmet and good tyres.  

• 2 weeks later...

thailand have many stupid law and rule, why not make new law and motorbike licence and can buy only if have right licence, first licence young boy has max only 200cc and then 5 year later can make biggest bike licence ,and if not have big bike licence not can buy bike. and all driver need be drive school 3 month minimum and if not can complete school right no can take licence and no can buy car whitout licence.better than many stupid law in thailand now. smart normal human foreigns not need same law because have own country drive licence need only change to thai card and ready no need school again. better lot PM need say make many new law, drive licence,car buy,visa law end totally idiot system, land law, etc, many idiot law.

It seems a helmet would increase the likelihood of decapitation because of the added mass on the head. Added mass means more inertia, leading to higher stresses on the neck when the body decelerates during impact. From the description of his remains, he would have likely died anyway, even if he hadn't been decapitated. Also, is it necessary to show what appear to be entrails laying on the pavement?....gross. It should be a warning to others though.

thailand have many stupid law and rule, why not make new law and motorbike licence and can buy only if have right licence, first licence young boy has max only 200cc and then 5 year later can make biggest bike licence ,and if not have big bike licence not can buy bike. and all driver need be drive school 3 month minimum and if not can complete school right no can take licence and no can buy car whitout licence.better than many stupid law in thailand now. smart normal human foreigns not need same law because have own country drive licence need only change to thai card and ready no need school again. better lot PM need say make many new law, drive licence,car buy,visa law end totally idiot system, land law, etc, many idiot law.

Absolutely never gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/24/2019 at 11:19 AM, Uptooyoo said:

It seems a helmet would increase the likelihood of decapitation because of the added mass on the head. Added mass means more inertia, leading to higher stresses on the neck when the body decelerates during impact. From the description of his remains, he would have likely died anyway, even if he hadn't been decapitated. Also, is it necessary to show what appear to be entrails laying on the pavement?....gross. It should be a warning to others though.

That is a highly dodgy premise and overlooks some of the fundamental concepts of wearing a helmet for protection.

Basically no helmet however expensive can protect you from direct high speed impacts, their function is to DEFLECT glancing blows that would damage the skull. This is what actually kills most unhelmeted riders, even at pedestrian speeds.

One of the most important properties of a helmet after sheer strength is its low friction characteristics....far less than an unprotected head. This means that on contact with asphalt it will slide over the surface better rather than stopping and wrenching the head and neck backward and, which of course makes decapitation more likely for ana unprotected wearer. I think this illustrates the point

3FA8CC2100000578-4452070-image-m-11_1493303850058.jpg

However there is one thing a helmet can never protect you against and that it torsional shaking.

The brain is layered in an onion-like manner and during an accident even though the skull may be completely undamaged the torsional twisting and shaking may cause unseen yet fatal damage. It is not uncommon for rescue crews to come across a victim who is outwardly unscathed but later in autopsy revealed to have fatal brian damage,.

Archived