Expensive helmet didn't save motorcyclist decapitated on Big Bike in Bangkok

rooster59

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C75C0E51-40C0-426F-9848-F62AB85FDA37.thumb.jpeg.88ebc8e7ac6cc960a0f093b0ab428f6a.jpegThe unfortunate thing in Thailand is that this is a daily occurance. This one on Thursday at the mini roundabout at Surin, Phuket. Take a closer look under the front, driver’s side wheel.  Yesterday I saw the aftermath of yet another in Kamala. The carnage is endless, cruel and a national disgrace.

First of all let me say R.I.P to the lad who's lost his life,and my deepest sympathy goes out to his parents.

I've held a full U.k Motorcycle licence for 40 years,and for the past 32 years have rode within Thailand,and had only one very small slide in 40 years.Fortunately no damage to the bike and just a small cut on my arm.This also includes a 2 year stint as a motorcycle courier 8 hours a day within the city of London.Is this because I'm sensible, lucky or have survived by the will of God? I would personally hazard a guess it's a combination of all 3.

When I was 17 in the Uk,at that time,a 16y.o could ride a 49cc bike on a provisional licence displaying learner plates,but by the time he/she reached 17 was allowed to ride a 250cc (mainly very quick accelerating 2 strokes)capable of doing 100/160 mph-kph, albeit they wasn't allowed to take a pillion until either they passed their test and obtained a full motorcycle,licence or the pillion held a full motorcycle licence.

Needless to say there were far too many fatalities,so the law changed.It is now quiet an episode to obtain a full UK bike licence,but the upside is the fatalities have been drastically reduced.

To me it's not rocket science,you just need to adjust your riding to suit the surroundings and conditions.

I find it hard to fathom here that as soon as someone obtains a bike licence in Thailand(I'm not 100% sure on this one but I think it's age 16)They are then permitted to stroll into a kawasaki dealer and purchase the zzr1400 with a top speed of 186/300 mph-kmh.

The one thing I commend the Thai government with is you cannot ride bikes on the motorways.

Could you imagine the carnage that would cause?As if there's not enough of it already.

This was a case of a boy having a man's toy to play with.

A very sad story with a tragic end. 

On 8/18/2018 at 10:08 AM, spidermike007 said:

This is a ridiculous story. Any accident that severe would result in major injury or death. Regardless of the quality of the helmet. When riding a bike in Thailand, it makes sense to use as high quality helmet as you can afford. The head is a precious thing. But, when one is decapitated, it really does not matter how good the helmet is, does it? This guy was obviously driving very recklessly, with no regard to his safety, and an absolute sense of denial of his own mortality. 

It is almost as if the entire society here is in denial, about the benefits of safety equipment, and helmets. 

Prayuth and Prawit will solve the issue soon. 

A fitting outcome for someone so stupid and reckless. Just extremely lucky he didn't harm anyone else, but ZERO sympathy for this fool. One less accident waiting to harm or kill a bystander to worry about. Good Riddance!  Seeya!?️

On 8/18/2018 at 12:51 PM, kannot said:

so you are travelling right now at 67000mph or 107000km/h........are you wearing a helmet and how  will that help? curious to know.

Sudden deceleration kills not  speed.......along with stupidity, lack of awareness etc etc all plentiful in Thailand

Sorry, it's not the deceleration it's the opposing reaction force that does the damage - Newton's Third Law.

It aint the helmets fault. Its the head that was in it. Why not blame the bike or the sign. Stupid Thai news....

The bikes not an overly powerful one and really not special at all and i wouldn't ride one at speed as its just not really built for such with my frame and a little on the small side but hit anything at any speed is going to be an issue. Thai kids dont have the room, alternative bikes to scooters or at the very least parents with ability to teach their kids some fundamental basics on how to ride and how to die. Ive been riding since i was 8 and trained in all forms and terrains as were most people i grew up with and raced against. None just bought a bike and went full throttle..

My neighbours kid borrowed an er6 i think to get my attention for reasons im not sure of. Next day, no bike and the guy was in casts... Stupid egos are a considerable problem. 

I perhaps think people see a transition from scooter to big bike being a natural gradual stepping stone process. scooters are not bikes in my mind. ergonomics are wrong, unpowered and therefore too safe to learn to ride properly.

One mistake is calling big bikes "big bikes". It makes one asssume scooters are small. Scooters are scooters and motorccycles are motorcycles....Want to learn to ride a motorcycle get in a paddock/field with a descently powered bike and go at it. Its the only way really. And ALWAYS wear a helmet!!!!!!

So now we go from "brake failure" to "helmet no good" 

Let's examine the facts...18 year old...speeding...motorbike.

Good riddance, the more idiots off the streets like this guy, the better.

Not one ounce of sympathy.

All these comments, and no one noticed that the kid was 18. Likely his parents

helped him to get the bike and nice helmet. RIP to the kid, and shame on his

parents bad choice to give him the money or means to get this big of a motorcycle.

I have owned a few bikes, and never had the wish to buy any over 250 cc.

I did not ever have the big urge to go faster than 100kms on 2 wheels.

Geezer

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

All these comments, and no one noticed that the kid was 18. Likely his parents

helped him to get the bike and nice helmet. RIP to the kid, and shame on his

parents bad choice to give him the money or means to get this big of a motorcycle.

I have owned a few bikes, and never had the wish to buy any over 250 cc.

I did not ever have the big urge to go faster than 100kms on 2 wheels.

Geezer

The parents of a kid in my apartment bought him a Honda Repsol CBR (an obvious muscle bike and probably 1000 cc) which he clearly was not competent with (going directly from a bicycle which I had to show him how to inflate the tires on!).

I told his mother that it was a really bad idea and that it was mainly about impressing his peers and, mainly, the women. He hasn't done himself in with it yet (as far as I know), but I don't see him riding it much either.

I'm not comfortable over 20 kph on a two-wheeled vehicle, frankly, because the human body is more fragile than people know and I'm not in that big a hurry these days.

• 2 months later...

Just another no-brainer that probably would have soon or later killed a child on his way to school, or another person bicycling for recreation or some father just go to work to feed his family. 

Lucky he took himself out before that happened. 

Wondering what went through his head as he pulled the throttle? (I mean before the taillight did) 

Wake up people. Its the bike that drives YOU and not YOU the bike!

Everything that you cant hold back by your own hand means it is stronger than you, so it has to be handled with care. 

On 8/19/2018 at 10:36 AM, Tradewind777 said:

C75C0E51-40C0-426F-9848-F62AB85FDA37.thumb.jpeg.88ebc8e7ac6cc960a0f093b0ab428f6a.jpegThe unfortunate thing in Thailand is that this is a daily occurance. This one on Thursday at the mini roundabout at Surin, Phuket. Take a closer look under the front, driver’s side wheel.  Yesterday I saw the aftermath of yet another in Kamala. The carnage is endless, cruel and a national disgrace.

Is that a police bike? 

• 4 months later...

I was a big bike rider in the UK before the Mrs caught my eye, would i ride a big bike in Thailand , no, and its not the falling off that kills its the sudden stop. 

Eg  solid fixed object

Stationary 30.000 kg truck

etc etc etc etc

RIp mate i think you knew little  about it

You can watch Isle of Man TT crashes online, and those guys ride seriously fast, yet their bikes rarely look as mangled as that. He must have been going incredibly fast.

And yes - the country will be better off without him driving on the roads, feel sorry for the family though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

speed and stupid kill, i has driving around thailand thousand and thousand kilometers whit big motorbike (under 600cc not have big) and newer not has any accident little or big, but anytime used helmet ofcourse important . stupid no braind peoples die but newermind if die darwin law working good and sweep all idiot out the earth.

14 minutes ago, wilcopops said:

Therefore we, conclude that wearing of helmets is a,waste of time?

What a ridiculous comment, i had a very serious accident, left paraplegic.

Only part of my body unscathed was my head, due to me wearing a helmet.

13 minutes ago, colinneil said:

And, you still have your sense of humour.????

57 minutes ago, colinneil said:

It seems you are not thinking clearly....the comment is criticising the headline not crash helmets.....didn't think id have to explain that

On 8/18/2018 at 10:18 AM, Briggsy said:

According to Thai sites, they reckon he was going 200 km/h.

There is a CCTV clip of the crash.

18 years old with this type of bike! Almost guaranteed suicide mission particularly with the non-existent motorcycle training here. I wonder who paid for it.

It's OK to jump out of airplanes or go into combat at 18 years of age, but not ride a 650CC motorcycle? 

1 hour ago, Longcut said:

It's OK to jump out of airplanes or go into combat at 18 years of age, but not ride a 650CC motorcycle? 

Without training, without knowledge, without a supervised path, the level of risk is very high and may not be fully understood by the 18-year-old.

So, the question is 'to what extent does the government regulate society to stop stupid or ignorant people placing themselves and others in harm's way?'

In answer to your question, no. Throughout the EU it is very difficult for an 18-year-old to get a licence to ride this very powerful motorcycle, certainly on public roads. Not me speaking here, that's the law throughout European countries. It's the law because statistics show young men and powerful motorcycles lead to a high rate of road fatalities.

Archived