Expensive helmet didn't save motorcyclist decapitated on Big Bike in Bangkok

rooster59

12 minutes ago, gdringjr said:

Tell that to the 252 professional motorcyclists that have died on the Isle of Man.  Your logic is less than impeccable.

I'm referring to public roads and the driving public in general.

The original quote was made by Sir Stitling Moss or Jackie Stewart, not sure which one, so you really should direct your statement to them.

I honestly don't think you can compare track racing to normal driving/riding

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The original quote was made by Sir Stitling Moss or Jackie Stewart, not sure which one, so you really should direct your statement to them.

Attempts to boil down road safety to simple dichotomies is in the long run, counter productive.

It seems that some on thus thread don't understand the true purpose of crash helmets and their limitations. They are part of a plethora of measures to make roads safer.

That is the next point it is ROAD SAFETY, not just "driving".

Attempts to blame drivers and driving alone indicates that the proposer is unaware of the full range of issues that confront road safety.

Remember 94% of accidents are the result of human error....but one needs to understand what that actually entails..... it doesn't just mean huge gaffs or criminal acts, it includes tiny momentary diversions of concentration or even inappropriate reaction to anothers "bad" driving. These are things we ALL do on a daily basis......usually we get away with it.....but think back and you'll see how they could have gone horribly wrong.

Once human error has started the process, it is WHAT HAPPENS AFTER that is so crucial. By now events are not under control of the driver...things like road quality a environment kick in. Seat belts, crash helmets, vehicle construction, emergency services all play a part in your chances of survival.....will it be minor injury, serious injury or death?

11 minutes ago, lust said:

Why does anyone care about strangers wearing helmets?  Take care of your business, not others.

We are not islands .... People who are injured when not wearing helmets have impacts on others.

Friends and family end up as carers or mourners....family income is lost.

The rest of us? ......well, we end up paying ever higher insurance premiums and taxes for the services these victims require.

Not wearing a helmet isn't an individual freedom or right, it impinges on others, friends, family and society. 

5 hours ago, lust said:

Why does anyone care about strangers wearing helmets?  Take care of your business, not others.

If you crash into those idiots you maybe responsible for deaths that could have been prevented....

That's alone would upset some people to kill a few Thai teenagers who think it's not cool to wear helmets

On 4/19/2019 at 8:57 AM, overherebc said:

IoM races are on public roads.

On 8/18/2018 at 9:33 AM, seajae said:

and they concentrate on the helmet, not the fact the idiot was obviously going way too fast, why didnt they say the bike wasnt good enough and came apart. Hard enough trying to get people to even wear a helmet yet this idiot paper tells them the expensive ones are no good when it has nothing to with the helmet at all, it all revolves around an idiot driver that could not control the bike and it was what he hit at speed that caused the damage, these people are morons, kid this age shouldnt even be allowed to ride a bike that size.

Surprised they didn't say "there were no amulets attached to the helmet".

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Yep, the problem being all those buses, cars and HGV's getting in the way. ????????????

the problem being all the brick walls and trees around the edge of the roads, which is why the race is no longer recognized as a Grand Prix and the death rate is so high...........this underlines the importance of the driving environment in road safety.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Old story this one but fast bikes encourage speeding. I see total dicks going too fast multiple times a day

I see 'total dicks' going too fast on 'slow' bikes.

There is a lot of 'total dicks' on the roads here....

It's like a 'total dick fest'

On 8/18/2018 at 9:41 AM, poohy said:

Well he wont be doing that again  will he!

Luckily he took no one with him

Wow ,  you  TVF ,  preachers are so sensitive . RIP.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:43 AM, lust said:

Old on mate ,   this is the high of TVF  preachers . 

12 hours ago, wilcopops said:

So you are prepared to write a crash report on this incident? I hope you have the science to back it up.

Science? How about almost 60 years of riding everything from mini-bikes as a kid, to 600 -1,000cc motorcycles most of my adult life, including a trip lasting almost 4 years straight on a 650cc Kawasaki to every state in the U.S.? I would venture to say I've seen more bike accidents in my life than you can imagine.

11 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I see 'total dicks' going too fast on 'slow' bikes.

There is a lot of 'total dicks' on the roads here....

It's like a 'total dick fest'

As said completely erroneous way of looking at Thailand's road safety problems.

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Without public traffic... and everyone going in the same direction.

No no no.

It's the lack of road safety and learning of it by the riders. I've seen those guys racing at the IOM ignore traffic lights and sometimes riding on the wrong side of the road while continually breaking the speed limit.

Someone should teach them how to ride properly and safely and then the races would bore the ass off them and the spectators. Maybe then they would stop pushing their own capabilities and the limits of their bikes.

Wouldn't that be exciting.!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Science? How about almost 60 years of riding everything from mini-bikes as a kid, to 600 -1,000cc motorcycles most of my adult life, including a trip lasting almost 4 years straight on a 650cc Kawasaki to every state in the U.S.? I would venture to say I've seen more bike accidents in my life than you can imagine.

Is there anything you aren't an armchair expert in??

10 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

QED theres the rub, someone who is completely unaware of how little they know....a very dangerous thing.

I doubt if you've heard of Dunning Kruger either.

Crazy to state that the helmet didn't save him.  I wince every time I see people wearing those cheap 'Index' helmets or other brands available in supermarkets - they are probably less than useless.

I'll never forget the salesman's words to me when buying my first crash helmet and was looking at the cheaper ones........"if you've got a ten bob head, buy a ten bob helmet" - I valued my head and bought a decent one.

Those of you making remarks about the rider, you don't know the facts and in any case - show some respect, the guy's dead!!

(for those not from the UK, 'ten bob' is slang for ten shillings, a pre decimal currency in the UK - ten bob would be 50p in today's money - a very low amount).

Archived