Get tough measures aim to reduce road death toll among motorcyclists by 50%

rooster59

motorcycles.JPG

Image: Daily News

A swathe of new measures being introduced next year aim to reduce the death toll among motorcyclists by 50% a year.

These include raising fines for not having a license by as much as 1000%, introducing more bike lanes and targeting accident black spots.

The death toll from motorcycle accidents in 2017 was 8,900 people reported Daily News. 

A committee introduced to look at the problem is ready to recommend measures to the government to slash this by half.

The measures could be in place as early as this year's New Year celebration. 

The committee have looked at riders, vehicles, roads, environmental conditions and laws. 

They are keen to promote better riding skills, make sure motorcyclists follow road rules and create better awareness of the responsibilities in riding motorcycles. 

There are 21 million motorcycles on the roads but only 13 million people have licenses. They target is to make sure everyone has a license and is trained. 

In this regard they are especially targeting 15 year olds who can legally ride to school. They often don't know they can get a license and can get proper training. 

Many roads will be getting bike lanes with wider areas reserved for motorcyclists so that there is greater safety on the roads. 

Sarawuth Songsiwilai said that the authorities had been too soft on bikers. He hopes that the government ministry will approve plans to fine motorcyclists who have no license 5,000 baht up from the present 500 baht. 

He believes better training and better awareness will help meet the target of 4,500 road deaths through the period of the next ten years. 

The government will be considering the proposals through September and October. 

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-18

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I applaud any effort to stop the carnage, but 50%, just like that? Seriously ambitious number. I dont see the good citizens around here suddenly waking up, because Lord knows, they haven't ever done so before. I don't see the cops suddenly enforcing laws everywhere either, so not quite sure how they are going to achieve it.

He believes better training and better awareness will help meet the target of 4,500 road deaths through the period of the next ten years. 

Awareness of anything outside a three foot bubble is an attribute yet to manifest itself in this tropical paradise.

so how about enforcing the road rules, stopping them from weaving through the traffic, make them indicate, stop at red lights, give way, no more riding the wrong way along a road, these actions would save a hell of a lot seeing most ignore the road rules anyway, they seem to think that being on a bike allows them to do as they please

14 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

There are 21 million motorcycles on the roads but only 13 million people have licenses.

Speaks volumes about their respect for the law!...……..and their grasp of law enforcement.

19 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

He hopes that the government ministry will approve plans to fine motorcyclists who have no license 5,000 baht up from the present 500 baht. 

More bargaining power for police to not issue a ticket, increasing the bribes, and let them leisurely carry on their journey ! 

Yep.  Consider everything except having existing laws enforced.  IMHO that is all that is required to decrease the road kill.  To go along with this requires an end to police corruption and an increase in police pay.  Perhaps a bonus system of more pay for the number of legitimate fines issued.  Of course this would require those at the top ensuring that there were no on the spot "fines" aka "tea money" and that fines imposed were legitimate.  Too much to hope for in this country I guess.

Start at the school level.  I watch police directing traffic for the school near me as students leave the parking area, 3+ to a bike, no helmets, and underage. Of course the police do nothing.  No helmet, no license, only 2 to a bike or don't ride to school. Of course school administration and parents would also have to participate.  I know, it is asking a lot.  They did this successfully at a number of locations in Laos already.

After being here for years I have taken notice that when the police want to do some thing or are made to so some thing they can and will do it.

I believe they will lay down the law and things will improve.

You would not believe the changes up where I am since the police have gotten tough on things. 

Not Traffic laws as of yet. But brothels shut down,Karoake shut downs just major sex industry clean up. They said they would remove illegal shops form the street and they did. There have been major changes. I am not saying I agree with all of them but I am saying when they want they can get the job done.

t.

37 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Get tough measures my ass.

Dreams! Dreams! and more dreams. The country is built on dreams. 

Just some pathetic little junta appointed bureaucrat trying to give the impression he is doing his job.

43 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

"A committee introduced to look at the problem is ready to recommend measures...".

Of course, what would such an initiative be without the quintessential committee to mull the issue. 

Rather controversially, I genuinely believe that the local custom of getting new motorbikes (and cars) blessed by monks plays a big part in Thai road safety. Many Thais actually believe that they are untouchable once they have had string tied around their handlebars. There are also a huge number who believe that accidents only happen to other people!! 

Thailand needs to wake up and smell the coffee and to realise that world is constantly evolving and sometimes old traditions become outdated. 

They are keen to promote better riding skills, make sure motorcyclists follow road rules and create better awareness of the responsibilities in riding motorcycles. 

I have a suggestion. Improve police skills. Step up, and pay them a living wage, so they do not have to operate like franchises, and enable them to do actual police work, which includes traffic safety. When is the last time you saw someone getting pulled over for reckless driving? When is the last time you saw a highway patrol on the actual highway? The only time I ever see them is after an accident has taken place. Where are they the rest of the time? Why are they not patrolling the highways looking for careless drivers? Why such astonishing incompetence?

I honestly believe the government does not care one iota about these traffic deaths. I think it is all about saving face, and the extreme embarrassment being caused by the only number one statistic of the nation. Traffic fatalities. 

In the 60's and 70's Australia had one of the worst road tolls in the world . Thousands were  pissed while driving and speeding home from the pub. A young aussie soldier stood a better chance of surviving  a tour of Vietnam than the roads of NSW and Victoria, in particular.The police clamped down severely and everyone got the message.  Our road toll is now one of the lowest in the world.

Never happen here.  Police are useless. Thais people are irresponsible. Thais couldnt be bothered  doing a proper test.  No-one cares . You die - you got to buddha and re encarnate as a flower, butterfly or maybe a soi dog!!

This is Thailand. Always.

35 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

The only way to seriously reduce mocy accidents by 50% is to remove 50% of mocy from the roads.

Which would result in twice as many people being on each mocy, of course (if that is possible and it appears to be).

A swathe of new measures being introduced next year aim to reduce the death toll among motorcyclists by 50% a year.

I don't know if this is possible but The number of riders and passengers wearing helmets has increased greatly in Chiang Mai. That has to help a little.

Simple.  Parents are responsible for their children up to 20 years of age.  Parents here usually do not care what their kids do. So stop all motorcycles.  Those driving without a license a 10000 baht fine  , responsibility of their parents, or 100 hours of community service leaning drains and klongs.   Also crush the motorcycles of those caught underage or no licence .  Thais put money first so hit them where it hurts first.  After 2 weeks then I suspect there will be queue upon queue at the Land Department offices for driving tests.  Problem is the police are too damn corrupt and lazy themselves so guess what will happen ?

Just now, ramrod711 said:

I don't know if this is possible but The number of riders and passengers wearing helmets has increased greatly in Chiang Mai. That has to help a little.

Just a shame that many helmets are little more than hair protection and there is little understanding that they have to be worn correctly, with a strap, to afford even minimal protection in case of an accident.

3 minutes ago, merlin2002 said:

Thailand is by and large a lawless society due to poor guidance from parents, educators, and without a diligent police force any Government measures are a complete waste of time IMHO... ?

When corruption is endemic from the highest echelons of Thai society downwards,  you end up with exactly what you have described.

7 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Just a shame that many helmets are little more than hair protection and there is little understanding that they have to be worn correctly, with a strap, to afford even minimal protection in case of an accident.

And they have to fit properly to the individual noggin, according to my IndexTM helmet manual.

Archived