Get tough measures aim to reduce road death toll among motorcyclists by 50%

rooster59

Why buy a helmet when a bowl will do .. just the thing to scoop him up into when it all goes wrong though .. Personally don't see it happening , a reduction of 50% ? the way it is here ain't gonna change as their very blase attitude to the dangers of riding motorbikes is just to ingrained too bleach out of 'em .. you name it they do it 'ere , on the phone , pissed , overloaded , illegal manoeuvre's , speeding and on , No license , no insurance ,( for many ) no real enforcement , no understanding of the responsibilities to yourself , you're passenger ( s ) or other road users .. There will be more wailing and hand wringing to come as things won't change despite the assertions that " something must be done " .. 

IMG_20180818_080350.jpg

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Utterly useless to simply massively increase road fines. How are Thai people going to pay anyway? Why oh why don't they see the elephant in the room. Enforce the law at all times not just when its "time to rake in the cash". How many times have i seen the police simply ignore no helmets, reckless driving, multiple people on motorbikes etc when they are not in "road block" mode. The only way to fix is (i am sorry to say), install speeding cameras, issue real fines for reckless driving, arrest anyone without a license and confiscate the vehicle, arrest all who are over the limit and send them to court. Have registered driving and motorcycle instructors who put you through training and proper tests and then enforce the law, 100% of the time, all day, every day. Also, register the vehicle to owner only for insurance, so vehicle and owner are linked together and to an address, so there is no hiding if you break the law of the road. All the developed countries work this way, the safest roads in the world work this way, they don't have to think too hard about it, just do what works.

I used to moan about the UK as there are literally speed cameras absolutely everywhere. However, went home, rode my motorcycle around and it was really nice. No nut cases, no undertaking, always see indicators on when turning, basically felt like a military exercise to be back on UK roads and it felt so safe compared to here. 

New laws won’t help its organization which is the key.

the road are chaos with having motorbike lanes on the inside lane where bikes can legally undertake increase huge risk of accidents. Lack on knowledge as to giving way to right on round abouts. 

Danergour areas light up. 

Motor or bikes are vehicles they shoukd drive in the same lanes as cars. At the same speed as the traffic 

having motorbike lanes increase danger in my opinion 

The biggest danger to me when I’m riding my motorcycle is the cars and trucks. Erratic driving, drunk, speeding, suddenly pulling out in front of you then going really slow, blacked out windows so at night they can see <deleted> all. This is what they need to crack down on.

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I applaud any effort to stop the carnage, but 50%, just like that? Seriously ambitious number. I dont see the good citizens around here suddenly waking up, because Lord knows, they haven't ever done so before. I don't see the cops suddenly enforcing laws everywhere either, so not quite sure how they are going to achieve it.

We all know it is another 14 day  "crackdown. "  Maybe over by next weekend even.  If it ever gets started.  Totally agree about 50%.  Unrealistic and unachievable.

5 hours ago, thequietman said:

Blah blah blah blah blah blah.

BS .................... never gonna happen. Cops are too lazy, people are too laid back, country couldn't give lesser of a <deleted>.

All typical ideas with absolutely no substance. 

Time and time again. Lived in this country for more than 17 years and yet to see the BiB (or the parents) get serious about bike safety nor give a damn!

I was of the assumption that last year there were 26,000 Road fatalities in Thailand and 84% were reported as 2 wheeler, or motorbikes. That would indicate more than double the 8900 figure.. So which figure is actually correct?? 

10 minutes ago, chopin2 said:

What is the penalty, driving motorcycle with a 4-5 year old child, unprotected, on the streets in Thailand, at night? 100 Bath?

Yes.  Upside is, after 100 Baths, you have squeaky clean record. 

One thing regarding motorbike laws id love to see is for expressway. Like say big bike which by most malls thats 500cc and bigger. Are allowed to use the expressway. Since ive been back and staying here in mae sai motorbike riders have been good and not crazy like in bkk. Think i am the only crazy rider here in mae sai. Though i know my limits and i am not stupid about it either. I know when to back off. I dont trust others on the rd and expect them to do something stupid to begin with. But anything they can do to make the roads more safe ill support for sure. 

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I applaud any effort to stop the carnage, but 50%, just like that? Seriously ambitious number. I dont see the good citizens around here suddenly waking up, because Lord knows, they haven't ever done so before. I don't see the cops suddenly enforcing laws everywhere either, so not quite sure how they are going to achieve it.

15 year oldas can ride a motor bike to.school but where I am right now even 11 year olds ride motor bikes to school the shops, and anywhere else, 90 % of riders do not wear helmets and the police do not bother. 4 on one bike  riden by an undrrage person , police stopped me to wave them through, naturally no helmets and not old enough for a licence.   Death will remain until the laws are enforced., licence, helmets  and lights to start with.

I think its great that many Police officers have a pro cam fitted to their helmets, because they are the ones who don't want to be caught taking bribes, Perhaps they should contact the UK police for the cams they have and all wear them active during their shifts so we can be reassured they are pro active in making sure the law is upheld....Sorry I was dreaming and now I am fully awake..still I won't delete these ramblings LOL

2 minutes ago, Dorian232 said:

15 year oldas can ride a motor bike to.school but where I am right now even 11 year olds ride motor bikes to school the shops, and anywhere else, 90 % of riders do not wear helmets and the police do not bother. 4 on one bike  riden by an undrrage person , police stopped me to wave them through, naturally no helmets and not old enough for a licence.   Death will remain until the laws are enforced., licence, helmets  and lights to start with.

Thats the sad part of all this. Things like this are allowed to happen. They have no business being on the bike in the first place. Well one thing if off road but on rd is the real issue at hand. Like in America kids riding dirt bikes off road and have dirt bike races and events at the 50cc level. Maybe if they started things like that here some of these young kids would be off the street and on the track instead. 

Thailand needs to enforce Thais learning the rules of the road, enforcing licences. Not just a fine if you don't present one. If you don't have one on you then yeah, sure a fine. But you must present your license at a police station within a certain date otherwise they seize your bike / car. They need to learn the rules of the road and understand that these cannot be broken. They need to wear helmets, always. And limit the number of people on a bike to two. Both with helmets. Enforce the speed limit and introduce points on your license for being caught speeding, fines also. Roads are <deleted> crazy here. 

Archived