BANGKOK 27 March 2019 09:56
rooster59

Get tough measures aim to reduce road death toll among motorcyclists by 50%

11 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

Three years ago, the Military Dictator said he was going to reduce road deaths by 70% in a year, I wonder what happened to that plan?

didnt  you know??? the deaths would have been about 30k a  year now  if he  hadnt stepped  in but  they are only 14k so theres  the improvement...........honestly get out from under that rock man, PM's  done wonders.

• Haha 1

A post containing disallowed reference to the PM has been removed. 

Some other nonsense posts have been removed as well. 

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I don't see the cops suddenly enforcing laws everywhere either, so not quite sure how they are going to achieve it.

Push ups and singing the National Anthem!! Bound to get positive results.......

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, seajae said:

they seem to think that being on a bike allows them to do as they please

Yikes...you mean it doesn't?

• Haha 1

When will the Authorities Responsible Become Responsible ? When I was a Child we had Road Safety Practices on bicycles carried out in School Playgrounds by Local Police and Fire Brigade Officers and I still Rememer most of it! after 70 odd years But in Thailand I think these Officers here would have to go through Rigorous training themselves to carry out such an exercise ? There are Many Rules & Laws in Thailand Equivalent to UK and many other Countries but are Ignored by the Majority of Thai Drivers whatever Vehicle they are on ? Total disregard of fellow road users ? Almost Total disregard of the Traffic Light System ? No Idea of Vehicle road Positioning almost had a female motorcycle driver cutting a corner on top of my bonnet it happens at the same place very very often ? I think in my Humble Opinion and having experienced Thailand since 1990 there appears to be an Acute Lack of Common Sense here and I think that Thai Culture that is Installed in almost All Thais that They,Him,Her are number one they have the right do do whatever they Choose ? Finger Getting Sore Rant Finished For Now ? !

• Like 1

All great ideas but you need someone to enforce the laws. All these motorcycle laws are already on the books. No one to enforce them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Such malarkey. Most people die by automobile. 

24000 per year total 2017

8900 motorcycle deaths a year

15,100 automobiles deaths 

but the majority of all these deaths are directly related to automobiles in some way. 

It is not the motorcycles. It is extremely poor automobile and truck and bus drivers.

Do you have a link to these stats.?

Not that I disagree with the gist of your post, as I would be very suprised if 4 wheeled vehicles aren't involved in a large percentage of 'bike deaths.

So raise the fine of 400b to 1000% when I went to school this meant 400000 baht not what is written ....or does that only apply to us farangs 

12 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I can confidently state they will never, ever solve this problem. 

They are simply not up to the task. A Thai license is worthless and a chocolate teapot has more value.

They thing we have to remember most of this is self-afflicted; a laziness to walk to the shops 100 metres away, irresponsibility when in control of a motor vehicle, a total arrogance towards pedestrians and to a lesser extent other motorists, bottling up of emotions, general immaturity, a thoroughly corrupt Police and justice system, a civil authority that have jobs because of nepotism and graft rather than on merit, a government that is inept at politics, the Thai motor industry that was enticed to setup here and relies largely on domestic sales but without teaching the Thais to drive and use their products competently and safely, etc, etc, etc...

I could go on but the problems are of their own making and are only going to get worse. 

Chok dee khrap!

Well put.

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

The only way to seriously reduce mocy accidents by 50% is to remove 50% of mocy from the roads.

You would probably get a similar outcome by removing 50% of the cars from the roads.... or at least the 50% of the mad buggers that switch lanes to overtake including the running up the "hard-shoulder" where the motor-bikes are crawling slowly along.... 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Do you have a link to these stats.?

Not that I disagree with the gist of your post, as I would be very suprised if 4 wheeled vehicles aren involved in a large percentage of 'bike deaths.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0b3e/ad962f671753e0e4c22dc62f934a126ef4d1.pdf Just a one for instance

• Like 1