Get tough measures aim to reduce road death toll among motorcyclists by 50%

rooster59

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, seajae said:

so how about enforcing the road rules, stopping them from weaving through the traffic, make them indicate, stop at red lights, give way, no more riding the wrong way along a road, these actions would save a hell of a lot seeing most ignore the road rules anyway, they seem to think that being on a bike allows them to do as they please

It really is that easy, so what is the real reason? 

The police sit on their arse and don't enforce the current rules and fines. 

You and I and 90% of the foreigners here know this and cannot realise that it was not obvious to the people making this submission to the people who also already know this and blindly refuse to do anything about it. 

Go figure. 

The Motorcycle accidents and deaths could be reduced by just one measure.

Stop all kids under the age of 15 riding to, and from school on a daily basis.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of kids under the age of 15 that ride mororcycles to school ( and more ) on a daily basis, and this practice is openly condoned by the Police and Authorities.

Thais love their children so much !

What difference is having a motorbike licence going to achieve, it's not like its a real test, also hoping for a target of a 50% drop in fatal losses, should that not be 0%, after all it's only a figure .     

Good luck with it!

This must come from the same school of knowledge as the PM, who said he wants improvement of Bangkok traffic in 3 months?

Fines are great for the BIB, but along with fines there must be a system in place to teach them correctly those so call Black spots?  

Getting a license is great and that will be a increase in revenue for the City and Country but they will learn very little in obtaining a license since the education, writing and actual driving test  is completely inadequate to produce old and new drivers leaving the building with a new sense of responsibility!  

The system is broken and those who are trying so hard to fix the problem don't have the education or understanding to actually teach proper execution of the rules thus the result will be obtaining a license is just a obstacle a Thai has to hurdle it does nothing to teach them a new approach to keeping themselves alive.

The first and foremost thing about driving " it is a not a right to be able to drive " which here in Thailand seem the people feel it is!

I can give  a list of items from Commercial on down as to what the government needs to enforced.

I can give a list of easy items to reduce the rate in first year the answer has always been at the Government finger tips but unless you know how to actually educate and properly execute the rule to old and new drivers the results will continue to be the same.

Nothing works not newer or safer cars, no devices, it all about the human factor and if the human factor comes from the same swamp of driving and they're doing the teaching guess what the result will be?  

In the end, even if the above was put into the system it would take 10 years in my estimation attacking the problem from old drivers to new hoping within those 10 years you end up in the middle and Thailand would be out of the top ten and thousands of lives, injuries and billions of baht will be saved. The one answer which has been part of the weapon in improving driving is none other than ENFORCEMENT AND IT HAS TO BE 24/7  AND NOT DONE WHENEVER IT SUITS THE BIB  WITHOUT IT YOU GOT NOTHING  SO GUESS WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN AND AGAIN!

GOOD LUCK!

43 minutes ago, cashlamb99 said:

Cops should sell helmets by the pick-up loads 200B each, instead of FINES, here in Pattaya. Problem solved !!!!!

I was stopped in my local city because my passenger didn't have a helmet... (I had one, and I was doing an unexpected favour for a friend .)  400bt fine or buy a helmet (that the police just happened to have lots of) for 200bt.  Easy decision, although the cheap plastic bowl with a strap went straight in the bin when I got home...

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I applaud any effort to stop the carnage, but 50%, just like that? Seriously ambitious number. I dont see the good citizens around here suddenly waking up, because Lord knows, they haven't ever done so before. I don't see the cops suddenly enforcing laws everywhere either, so not quite sure how they are going to achieve it.

Enforcement was not on the list

1 minute ago, digger70 said:

There are just No words for what one would/could call the law/enforcement  here, so What's the use of the verbal crap they are spitting out.

Until ( and if ever ) a credible law enforcement program, and a complete revamp of RTP happens, all the laws that are written, and words spoken will not make a jot of difference to the horrendous  road death figures.

For too long now Thais have been allowed to do whatever they feel like doing, which has resulted in a complete breakdown in Law and Order.

I was visiting Vietnam on the day wearing a motorcycle helmet was made compulsory .During my stay I did not see one motorcyclist without a helmet in HCMC or Hanoi. That continues to this day .Strict enforcement of current laws and education in schools would be a good starting point .

7 hours ago, AboutThaim said:

Yep.  Consider everything except having existing laws enforced.  IMHO that is all that is required to decrease the road kill.  To go along with this requires an end to police corruption and an increase in police pay.  Perhaps a bonus system of more pay for the number of legitimate fines issued.  Of course this would require those at the top ensuring that there were no on the spot "fines" aka "tea money" and that fines imposed were legitimate.  Too much to hope for in this country I guess.

Why are the police collecting fines at all? That should be done by traffic courts.

Hmmmm 

* Did I miss it or was there NO mention of enforcing Mandatory HELMETS ?

* The insurance bureau has calculated that 1/2 of the deaths are drivers under the age of 25. (See chart below)  Let's start there if we are going to change the stats. More driver safety education in schools & more enforcement to "nab" the kids popping wheelies, and racing in gangs on the back-roads.

* I can't find any data at the moment . But from the media reports that I see so often , it would seem that most deaths occur late at night, after midnight. -------- Maybe more roadblocks after midnight to check for HELMETS, DRINKING, LICENSES could be carried out to reduce the carnage.....rather than plugging up traffic with road blocks to squeeze a few baht out of people on their way home from work. 

Related image

and this THAI chart on category of deaths - which supports the NEED for enforcement

Image result for graph + time of day of motorcycle deaths in Thailand

1 hour ago, dave moir said:

You could start by taking crazy pickup drivers who don't give a damn about motorcycles off the road!!!

You should have said;

1)  You could start by taking crazy pickup drivers who don't give a damn about motorcycles off the road!!!

and

2) You could start by taking crazy pickup drivers who don't give a damn about motorcycles off the road!!!

Then the roads would be safer.

8 hours ago, seajae said:

so how about enforcing the road rules, stopping them from weaving through the traffic, make them indicate, stop at red lights, give way, no more riding the wrong way along a road, these actions would save a hell of a lot seeing most ignore the road rules anyway, they seem to think that being on a bike allows them to do as they please

I presume you are talking about cars and pickups too?

1 hour ago, jippytum said:

I was visiting Vietnam on the day wearing a motorcycle helmet was made compulsory .During my stay I did not see one motorcyclist without a helmet in HCMC or Hanoi. That continues to this day .Strict enforcement of current laws and education in schools would be a good starting point .

Ain't going to happen here No one gives a Frits .

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A swathe of new measures being introduced next year aim to reduce the death toll among motorcyclists by 50% a year.

They really don't get it: NEXT year???

NO, these measures are needed NOW!!!

43 minutes ago, 300sd said:

Not sure where the pic came from but what I see every day on the roads, reality is much different. 

motorcycles.JPG.3554a4d0f556731a5c56129bc3870633.JPG

Given the Thai language of the sign above it's somewhere in Thailand, but I guess the photographer needed to wait a couple of days to get a shot in which everybody wears a helmet ?‍♂️

23 minutes ago, lockman07 said:

What a joke.  The car drivers are the problem not the unlicensed motorcycle riders.  More ways to suck money from people.  How's that 2-5pm alcohol sales ban working out?  Another joke.

Do you actually engage in traffic in Thailand? If you would, you would know that motorcycle drivers are equally bad as car drivers, but not wearing a helmet isn't in their advantage. If I drive from BKK to about 2 hours north I always see numerous motorcycles passing me while I drive about 100 to 110km/h. Most of those motorcycle drivers don't wear a helmet, don't wear protective clothing and sometimes they are also looking on their mobile phones while doing 120km/h with passengers on their bikes. tok=taai (falling down=death!)

Archived