New Tesco Lotus

jimmyyy

I was down at Borabue market this morning and on my way out i noticed a large construction site.  Stopped for a quick chat with a construction guy its going to be a tesco lotus shopping center with kfc, banks and other stores i couldnt understand what they were.  Said about 6 months to opening. 

I doubt they will carry the farang stuff i am wondering is it possible to ask a tesco like in borabu to stock or soecial order stuff from another store?  

There's a new TOPS Plaza being built in Phon right now - not too far from Borabue and maybe an easier trip than going to TOPS Khon Kaen - which might stock the foreign stuff you want. It seems to be within a couple of months of opening. 

I very, very rarely use TOPS - nearest is in KK - so don't really know what foreign goods they have. Of course, that might change now the new place is about 1 km from my front door.

2 hours ago, MartinL said:

There's a new TOPS Plaza being built in Phon right now - not too far from Borabue and maybe an easier trip than going to TOPS Khon Kaen - which might stock the foreign stuff you want. It seems to be within a couple of months of opening. 

I very, very rarely use TOPS - nearest is in KK - so don't really know what foreign goods they have. Of course, that might change now the new place is about 1 km from my front door. 

Where is Phon, the only one i can find is way north up by Nongkhai

1 hour ago, jimmyyy said:

Where is Phon, the only one i can find is way north up by Nongkhai

Go to Ban Phai on Highway 23, turn left onto Highway 2, south towards Korat and 30km later, there it is. 

TOPS is on the northbound carriageway. Once in Phon, U-turn at the 3rd. set of traffic lights and you're right on top of it.

It depends if there are enough farangs to warrant their stocking them. In Nakhon Phanom with relatively few Expats, I usually dont notice the western stuff until it winds up on the 'reduced' trolley and then they dont stock it again. Once I saw boxes and boxes of Tesco own brand Teabags, just like in the UK, on there which no one previously knew they sold. I was just about to return to the UK for the summer and when I returned to Thailand there was no sign of them anywhere. It would of course help if they advertised new western products. Someone spotted Colman's English mustard not long before I left in April but I bet it has disappeared by the time I go back. Similarly Macro and others were selling lamb when they first opened but not now. Even fresh beef has mostly disappeared leaving only a few frozen steaks. I can understand why because before I used to see shelves full of reduced fresh beef every Saturday afternoon in Big C.

On 8/18/2018 at 4:45 PM, SunsetT said:

Once I saw boxes and boxes of Tesco own brand Teabags, just like in the UK, on there which no one previously knew they sold. I was just about to return to the UK for the summer and when I returned to Thailand there was no sign of them anywhere.

They do not stock them with other tea bags for some unexplained reason. Well not at the store I use anyways. 

Image result for tesco tea thaILAND

On 8/18/2018 at 4:13 AM, DILLIGAD said:

I find Tesco Lotus are starting to stock more & more Western goods. I I see little US & UK flags on many products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whereabouts? In the past year or so at Tesco-Lotus in Udon Thani, the amount of imported "From UK" stuff is much reduced at their main, north-side branch and their down town and newer, west-side branches never stocked the stuff. Maybe they're spreading the stuff around the boonies more thinly?

Whereabouts? In the past year or so at Tesco-Lotus in Udon Thani, the amount of imported "From UK" stuff is much reduced at their main, north-side branch and their down town and newer, west-side branches never stocked the stuff. Maybe they're spreading the stuff around the boonies more thinly?

Ubon/Sisaket.

On 8/17/2018 at 8:13 PM, DILLIGAD said:

I find Tesco Lotus are starting to stock more & more Western goods. I I see little US & UK flags on many products.

Western goods and associated dependent circles.

Most critical for some.

On 8/19/2018 at 9:30 AM, jimmyyy said:

I wonder if there online store would send it to the local store for pickup, their online store is full of western food.  I guess I will have to try it when they open. 

You only get what is available in the local store on date of sale.  Even here in Bangkok virtually never get a complete order as even basic items are often out of stock on date order delivered.  You never know.  And I have been using this service from before it was officially opened with normally weekly orders.  It is good and they try to provide alternative items for out of stock that you can take or refuse.  But they do not pull from other stores as goods are picked on date of delivery.

• 5 months later...

The store is now open.   Did a grocery haul today and it was what I expected.   Little to no western food.   I asked different people if I could order stuff from the website or if they could order items from another store.   Was told no it was not possible.   There was a KFC which was not bad a visions place small kids play area.   A very small IT city and a Dublin donuts.   There is also a boots pharmacy.   Anyways it's progress. 

On 8/18/2018 at 10:13 AM, DILLIGAD said:

I saw an article a couple of months ago, saying that in the 'near future' Big C would be selling Morrisons products.

Archived