New requirement? Marriage extension, Hua Hin.

Couple of days ago, I went to Hua Hin Immigration to do my yearly extension based on marriage. Apart from the first horrible experience, the last two were quick and friendly. This was fourth time, and I think that I have the routine pretty much under control. I had all the required documents, copies, and photos ready. The immigration office was empty and within minutes we were in front of the officer. He was polite and friendly. He went through all my documents, and said, “Problem…”

I need a Thai witness ID and Tabien Baan copy. I said that they got it first time I applied, and the last two times it was not required. He said, “New rule..”, I asked if I need to provide this every year, and the answer was “Yes”.

Then the photos. I generally snap 10-15 pictures, print them and give the album to the IO so they can chose what they want. It has worked the last two times. This time I must have missed something, because he said, “need 2 phots inside 2 photos outside, same clothes. And 2 photos other clothes.” There was nothing to argue about.

I live 2.5 hours’ drive away from Hua Hin, so it’s not like I can just pop back home, got the needed things, and come back later. In fact we came a day earlier and stayed overnight, just to be at the immigration office early.

We had to drive back home to organize the missing items, and got up at 6 just to be there early.

Again, the office was empty and we got to see the officer immediately. This time we got the same officer as last year. Very friendly, polite, joking and telling stories while he was doing the papers.

Then he said that he needed a picture of him together with us in our house, but said that we live to far and have to make one in the immigration office. We borrowed his supervisor’s office and snapped one picture on the sofa. I also reconfirmed with this IO the requirement for the ID and Tabien Baan of a Thai witness, he said “Yes, new rule”.

So, to recap;

Signed ID and Tabien Baan copy of a Thai that knows you.

2 photos inside, 2 photos outside (house number showing) same clothes. 2 photos other clothes.

Photo of Immigration Officer together with the applicant. (Immigration will arrange)

Anybody else run into those (new?) requirements?  

I should also add that I recently got a new passport, and went to the Immigration office about two weeks ago to transfer visa and extension stamps. I was charged 500 for this, no receipt. Rip off? Scam? Or normal fee?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So you're saying that the witness IS a new requirement? As didn't need that for the last two extension.

My witness here was my neighbor, who is the retired school head master and as such government employee.

Told him I might need him every year from now on...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SpaceKadet said:

So you're saying that the witness IS a new requirement? As didn't need that for the last two extension.

My witness here was my neighbor, who is the retired school head master and as such government employee.

Told him I might need him every year from now on...

... it is just the same old ruse, each office has their own protocols...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, glegolo said:

quote from spacekadet;

I should also add that I recently got a new passport, and went to the Immigration office about two weeks ago to transfer visa and extension stamps. I was charged 500 for this, no receipt. Rip off? Scam? Or normal fee?

end quote

Yes it is a scam from a low moral i.officer....

glegolo

Scam indeed. Transferring stamps from one passport to a new one is part of their duties and this is paid for partly out of the 1900 baht fees. No receipt issued voluntarily, of course, and none asked for.

As others have correctly stated, every immigration office has slightly different rules and the way they are applied.

In my local office, extending stay on marriage basis is very easy providing you have all the correct papers and copies thereof.

Attitude and appearance go far in these offices. 

• Like 1

@ratcatcher

I did have the correct documents, same as all the previous years. And I'm always polite at times like that.

And I never wear t-shirt shorts and flip flops, unless it's around the house or going to the beach.

Even my wife swallows here pride and smiles, although she pours venom over them once we leave.

@55Jay

The officer said that he should take a photo with us at our house, but that was to far away for him (190km), that's why he took the pics in the Immigration office.

In fact, neither immigration or the police ever visited us, but they did interrogate my first Thai witness.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 55Jay said:

In my experience and from what I've read here over the years, Thai Witness (or the form + ID copy) is typically required the first time, but not subsequent years. 

When I completed my first extension 4 months ago I was told that next year I will need a Thai witness again with copies if their ID and housebook this Udon

New rule that you need a witness every year came in in November of last year. Doesn’t need to be any kind of official/government worker, just typically your next door Neighbour or someone else that you know who is willing to go with you to the immigration office and sign. The photo together with the immigration officer should be outside your house as it’s noe another rule that the immigration officer visit everyone making making an application for extension based on marriage, regardless if first application or 50th as it has to be done every year! We know the immigration officers well and even they are pissed to having to do the house visits as it takes  time one for them to travel outside of work hours to each and everyone applying.

When it comes to extending based on marriage, the immigration officer's hands are tied.  They can't initially approve an extension based upon marriage.  That has to be processed in Bangkok.  Therefore they have to abide by any rules issued by Bangkok for this type of extension.

On 8/18/2018 at 7:36 AM, SpaceKadet said:

I was charged 500 for this, no receipt. Rip off? Scam? Or normal fee?

I was charged the same, and expected it, as I read in ThaiVisa forums that others were charged 500 baht for it; not a rip-off, fair enough that we aliens pay a fee for service...?

33 minutes ago, HHTel said:

They can't initially approve an extension based upon marriage.  That has to be processed in Bangkok.  Therefore they have to abide by any rules issued by Bangkok for this type of extension.

Where the approval is done depends upon where you live. The application is approved at a the division headquarters for the region where you are living.

Only for the central region are they sent to division 3 in Bangkok for approval.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Where the approval is done depends upon where you live. The application is approved at a the division headquarters for the region where you are living.

Only for the central region are they sent to division 3 in Bangkok for approval.

Ok, I stand corrected.  I thought that all approval for 'marriage extensions' came from BKK.  However, other than that, my reply is valid in that individual offices have to abide by the headquarters.

5 minutes ago, HHTel said:

However, other than that, my reply is valid in that individual offices have to abide by the headquarters.

The really only have to follow some basic guidelines set by the division. Within regions I have seen reports of different requirements at different offices.

3 hours ago, HHTel said:

When it comes to extending based on marriage, the immigration officer's hands are tied.  They can't initially approve an extension based upon marriage.  That has to be processed in Bangkok.  Therefore they have to abide by any rules issued by Bangkok for this type of extension.

True, and Jom Chien witness required every year always has been, we take the same witness every year ( Family member) with no problems, thinking of switching to retirement extension next time round, less hassle or so it seems judging by other posters! 

4 hours ago, HHTel said:

Well, I live in Bangkok and I've done four extensions. Even the first did not require police visits or stranger neighbors vouching for our marital bliss. Bangkok ain't got time for this nonsense. I'm sure they might single out suspects but I've just not run into this at all from married here.

I'll get off this visa as soon as I feel like stopping work. It's so bloody complicated that the cops are inconsistent and the offices are inconsistent.

There should just be a precise checklist for everyone. Local IO checks the docs, signs and ships to Bangkok.

Immigration is just a colossal make work program

• Like 1

It is part of their genetic makeup to hassle you for supposedly missing paperwork, they are masters of it at Chiang Mai. You can have originals and as many photocopies as you can carry, all checked off twice by you and your wife, but within 5 minutes of sitting down with these professional paper shufflers, they will have managed to lose at least one copy, and after 10 minutes you will question your own sanity as to whether you actually brought the papers or not! It is like that scam with the 3 upturned cups and the dollar coin, trying to keep track of it as they shuffle it around under your nose - You should congratulate them on their dexterity and sleight of hand, whilst smiling to yourself at being just not smart enough as you make the 200 KM round trip to fetch the missing document, I love it, it makes for such an entertaining visit every year, the anticipation is fantastic and being kept on my toes is always good for a chuckle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

It is part of their genetic makeup to hassle you for supposedly missing paperwork, they are masters of it at Chiang Mai. You can have originals and as many photocopies as you can carry, all checked off twice by you and your wife, but within 5 minutes of sitting down with these professional paper shufflers, they will have managed to lose at least one copy, and after 10 minutes you will question your own sanity as to whether you actually brought the papers or not! It is like that scam with the 3 upturned cups and the dollar coin, trying to keep track of it as they shuffle it around under your nose - You should congratulate them on their dexterity and sleight of hand, whilst smiling to yourself at being just not smart enough as you make the 200 KM round trip to fetch the missing document, I love it, it makes for such an entertaining visit every year, the anticipation is fantastic and being kept on my toes is always good for a chuckle.

Actually I did have something like this occur first time in BKK but last three sailed thru - 15 minutes. We did not have a chance of name document (she'd changed her first name). But aggravating was the woman made a fuss about our very legit rental agreement. I forget what the gripe was. We returned with her doc and nothing more because there is nothing more. Got the IO next to her, no problem, not even a mention about the contract nor has there been since.

The horror stories I read out of CM and HH make me vow to never think of living there.

• Like 1

I was visited by the immigration officers on my first marriage extension here in CM and needed one of the neighbors to be present and questioned during the visit. Last month I did my second extension and there was not a visit to the house nor were any documents from the neighbor asked for at the immigration office.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

57 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Well, I live in Bangkok and I've done four extensions. Even the first did not require police visits or stranger neighbors vouching for our marital bliss. Bangkok ain't got time for this nonsense. I'm sure they might single out suspects but I've just not run into this at all from married here.

I'll get off this visa as soon as I feel like stopping work. It's so bloody complicated that the cops are inconsistent and the offices are inconsistent.

There should just be a precise checklist for everyone. Local IO checks the docs, signs and ships to Bangkok.

Immigration is just a colossal make work program

Thai Immigration is just a colossal make work  make money program

• Like 2

I still think it's mighty big of the Thais to offer annual extensions based on marriage despite the potential for abuse.  I've done 6 of them, last one 4 months ago, and nothing said about witnesses and office photos - but that's in Korat.  

Never had any problems but even so, can't say I'll miss the marriage extension process.  My next one will be based on "retirement". Horray!        ?️?

Edited by 55Jay