New requirement? Marriage extension, Hua Hin.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Vietnam 5 year VISA $40 for married guys, Philippines 1 year VISA free for married guys

(and you can work from day 1, no restrictions).

Thailand is one of the worst SEA countries for foreign men marrying locals.

Wasn't a comparison.  But thanks for the other examples. 

2 minutes ago, richiejom said:

Whats the potential for abuse? Perhaps I am missing something

Marriages of convenience. People paying somebody to marry them just so they can get visas and extensions.

The witnesses and home visits are a result of that kind of abuse to confirm a couple is living together as husband and wife.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, richiejom said:

Whats the potential for abuse? Perhaps I am missing something

Either you're married or you're not?   

I can't see that a Westerner would enter into a sham marriage to stay here or are you referring to other poorer nationalities who might?

Agree with you from an ideological, naive POV.  But ask yourself, why is it that Immigration tweaks requirements and/or announces occasional "crack downs"?   

It's not just about dodgy individuals.  There are dodgy visa agents and Immigration officials themselves who are on the take.

You might be surprised the lengths some "poorer" Westerners go through to stay in Thailand.

I just did my extension for the 5th year running. Did not require any witness signature (there isn't anywhere on the forms for this anyway), did not need a photo with the Immigration Officer. However, in regard to photos - they told me to redo because they require 2 pics per A4 page (I had 4 pics to a page). Also required pic of me in my bedroom, in various rooms and outside my house. Sometimes it really does depend on the luck of the draw in respect of which 'Officer' you get to deal with!!!!

7 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:

I just did my extension for the 5th year running. Did not require any witness signature (there isn't anywhere on the forms for this anyway), did not need a photo with the Immigration Officer. However, in regard to photos - they told me to redo because they require 2 pics per A4 page (I had 4 pics to a page). Also required pic of me in my bedroom, in various rooms and outside my house. Sometimes it really does depend on the luck of the draw in respect of which 'Officer' you get to deal with!!!!

in jomtien it's the rule, married no kids a witness with tabien baan pattaya, photo witness in front of your house, forms in thai to be signed by the witness thai only. although it can be a farang with thai nationality which i brought along this year . wbr roobaa01

I should clarify that they didn't need me to bring the witness to the Immigration office. It was enough that the witness sign a copy of the ID and Tabien Baan.

On the photo with the IO, he explained that he should do it at our house, but it was to far for him. It's a 5 hour round trip. So he decided to do the photo on his supervisor's sofa.

Edited by SpaceKadet
typo

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Marriages of convenience. People paying somebody to marry them just so they can get visas and extensions.

The witnesses and home visits are a result of that kind of abuse to confirm a couple is living together as husband and wife.

IMO, it is far easier to cheat on the retirement extension. The requirements are far easier, and the required 800k 3 moths "deposit" can be easy arranged with a "loan".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richiejom said:

This sounds like a right pain in the arse, I've got to do this at Jomtien...I suppose my visa agent will be the witness as he is Thai(and knows us well) and will cover everything

no is not painful for the immi seargent carrying out the doc check is pretty helpful so is the superior officer on the same desk. the immi seargent is straightforward , meaning all paperwork assembled and made up sequentially in advance in two sets. she likes to browse swiftly through the pages to finish, telling u what she requires add. thus have copied docs as original available. wbr roobaa01

4 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

in jomtien it's the rule, married no kids a witness with tabien baan pattaya, photo witness in front of your house, forms in thai to be signed by the witness thai only. although it can be a farang with thai nationality which i brought along this year . wbr roobaa01

my wife and I have a son so i guess that explains why we didn't jump through the extra hoops!!

8 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Agree with you from an ideological, naive POV.  But ask yourself, why is it that Immigration tweaks requirements and/or announces occasional "crack downs"?   

It's not just about dodgy individuals.  There are dodgy visa agents and Immigration officials themselves who are on the take.

Yes.  It's not that "sham marriages" or "faked financials" are a problem to immigration - they have special arrangements (agents) to facilitate those, and give them hassle-free priority.  It is the honest in-person applicants who get the screws put to them.

Note the "extra rules" are never published officially - similar to fake-rules applied elsewhere in the system.  Those enforcing these seem unable to get their policies written into laws (or ministerial orders), but count on the lack of honest-oversight to allow them to get away with executing their agenda.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:55 PM, GregTN said:

I was visited by the immigration officers on my first marriage extension here in CM and needed one of the neighbors to be present and questioned during the visit. Last month I did my second extension and there was not a visit to the house nor were any documents from the neighbor asked for at the immigration office.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

What if you don't talk to and don't like all your neighbors? Seriously!