Traffic light cross roads misunderstanding

Hi

I would just like to get some clarification from someone who knows what the actual ruling is on cross roads where, there is a u turn (it doesnt say you cant u turn at this junction). What happens is because red traffic can turn left like in the US I believe, cars will do this when the green light traffic is u-uturning stopping and holding up the u turn traffic. I would have thought common sense at least dictates the red traffic has to give way to green light traffic?

As is usual this doesnt happen and cars wait for the red light traffic to clear sometimes not letting any green car traffic turn.

I was just held up by a nonthai on his motorbike speeding round from the red light left turn, whilst trying to green light u uturn, he was sure he had right of way, shook his head(as all motorbikes do right or wrong) and sped off.

Can someone clear up this for me, does anyone know what is the actual legal or code of driving for Thailand in this situation, man thanks.

1 minute ago, Esso49 said:

Could you just confirm again that you are looking for a code of driving here ?   You do realise this is 

Thailand don't you ?

haha, yes I know but this is serious, because it gets very dangerous and often results in people getting very close so yes please official code so I can take it further if need be. I know that im right in practical driving thoery and traffic management but that doesnt mean im right in what is law or code. Thanks

1 minute ago, benlovesnuk said:

haha, yes I know but this is serious, because it gets very dangerous and often results in people getting very close so yes please official code so I can take it further if need be. I know that im right in practical driving thoery and traffic management but that doesnt mean im right in what is law or code. Thanks

Are you a foreigner ?  If so don't bother to take it further unless you are prepared to pay.

1 minute ago, Esso49 said:

Are you a foreigner ?  If so don't bother to take it further unless you are prepared to pay.

I will pursue, I dont care about this game of non thai or not, I would just like to know the code I have been well served by local policeman before and if im right and point out the codeLawyers come into play not small time stuff. Thank you

Im not someone who thinks that bribery or keeping your head down, best serves foreigners or thai people, I want to make the roads better for all people on it not just serve my self interest. Its dangerous and time consuming and simply knowing what is code would be of great help. Thank you

7 hours ago, benlovesnuk said:

Im not someone who thinks that bribery or keeping your head down, best serves foreigners or thai people, I want to make the roads better for all people on it not just serve my self interest. Its dangerous and time consuming and simply knowing what is code would be of great help. Thank you

Apparently the new "Thai Highway Code Book" is in the process of being printed at this moment....due out on the 12th of never....until then proceed with caution on Thailands roads and never forget that a car flashing its lights does not mean "you first sir" but "out of the way I,m, coming through".........:thumbsup:

left turn at a red light when allowed is ok but they still have to give way to the traffic with the green light doing the uturn(can only turn left when safe to do so), problem is most thai drivers dont like waiting or try to force their way through a turn. When we used to drop our daughter off at night school we had a turn like that when we had a green light, cars turning left with a red light would try to force their way but I would hit the horn and keep going, they expect others to stop for them  as many thais will, unfortunately for them I drive as the rules state. 

1 hour ago, petermik said:

Apparently the new "Thai Highway Code Book" is in the process of being printed at this moment....due out on the 12th of never....until then proceed with caution on Thailands roads and never forget that a car flashing its lights does not mean "you first sir" but "out of the way I,m, coming through".........:thumbsup:

Thanks, Ive been driving for a while. I do understand the nuances of how they drive, and it seems how a lot of non thais think can, also. But I would very much like to get my hands on that book, if anyone has a link or date for its release.

Regards

36 minutes ago, seajae said:

left turn at a red light when allowed is ok but they still have to give way to the traffic with the green light doing the uturn(can only turn left when safe to do so), problem is most thai drivers dont like waiting or try to force their way through a turn. When we used to drop our daughter off at night school we had a turn like that when we had a green light, cars turning left with a red light would try to force their way but I would hit the horn and keep going, they expect others to stop for them  as many thais will, unfortunately for them I drive as the rules state. 

I did ask a tourist police officer and he agreed with me unofficially a year or so ago, I understand peoples attitudes to keeping ones head low, and staying out of trouble, but just like when they try to come onto my side of the road, or not stop for the car on their side, I am unable to see it that way and pursue with what makes sense to me. Im often seeing cars approach me half the car width over the central line, (and had one incident with a near fatal crash) expecting me to stop or move over so they dont scratch their car on plants. I remind them that the game of chicken the are wanting to play will end worse than a plant brushing your paint, and they have so far 100% of the time move back to their side(this is without the family inside of course). This is also the case for mopeds motorcycle drivers crossing solid lines to get past traffic, on my side every other (presumed) thai driver moves over, I do not.

Whilst many might see this as foolishness, (to which i can understand) they do it because they get away with it, and like children they need to be taught (unfortunately) that there are rules that their country set and they are as a national also responsible like every person in the country to abide. The idea that they can use im a thai person is unfortunately lost on me, and serves as no warning for how I will continue to live my life as a non thai who is apparently expected to be wrong simply for not being thai, that racism will not persist. Those that pay the cop do so (and thats fine forgive the pum) is not how I like to do things, I however think that penalizing tourists with a road traffic trap is not the best way to show tourists your country off to those you need to balance the books for revisits, why not hit the shops hiring the mopeds, (of course we know the answer)?

I will add, im frustrated for my fellow thai drivers who sit patiently scared of being first to act, for their brand new car or the terrifying ordeal of social awkwardness, to ensue. however with non of these ailments to my name or person I will fight for this junction and the green light and get rid of this BULLSCHMIDT nonsense. Thanks for everyones replies

I'm completely loss as to what you are asking?  

You reference and ask about a U-Turn and then continue to talk about a left turn then go back to U turn at the crossroad/Intersection?  What do you actually mean?

Here in Thailand, what is stated in the book isn't what is practice on the road except at major intersection like a road Sukhumvit. The rules as we see and learn in the West aren't practiced in the same matter and even non-thais who have lived here a while start to do the same thing as the Thais.

When the rules were created in the West and brought over here in Thailand, no one explained to them when making a left turn against a red one can if they " stop and then proceed with caution "  as many know vehicles in general come to the crossroad and just turn even if it is against the light the Thai logic is you need to took after them. This is why the individual you indicated shook their heads I've myself seen it many times and fall into the category of Thais as " this is Thailand " the sole reason why they are killing themselves at record rate. 

Like in Pattaya there are signs in a number of intersection or crossroad as you call them there is a sign the grammar used is backwards giving a western driver the impression it is o.k, to make a left turn against a red light, it actually means you can't but Thais even me stop and slowly creep out and if I don't see police on the other side and go, the reason, there isn't any traffic coming and it makes no sense waiting 5 minutes for the light to change.

U-turn are tough if not impossible to make at a major crossroad if that is what you actually are talking about?

You just be careful, 

No one cares about “right of way” try not to get hit from behind since you think you have to slowdown to give the right of way. 

Dont you see how people walk around in shopping malls or supermarkets, it is  just like their driving or riding motorbikes. No right of way, whoever can go through a “crack”, will cross you.

The mere fact that you are persistent in wanting to know the Thai traffic codes means that you are totally unsuitable for being on Thailand's roads.  Put frankly you are a danger to yourself and other road users.

1st example  - I guess you think it is ok to start away from traffic lights when your lights turn green ?  Wrong answer as Thais do not accept that when red in their direction ( ie green for you ) that  they should stop.   Why should they as they have a Buddhist amulet,  or 20 or so , on their dashboard to protect them.   Therefore by you proceeding to move when your lights are green is a dangerous act,  you could T bone the Thai crossing at red. Being a Farang it will automatically be your fault because if you weren't here you would have not caused that accident.

2nd Example. Parking on the hard shoulder in an emergency.  Do you not realise that the sole purpose of the hard shoulder is for motor bikes or cars to drive against the flow of traffic on major roads ?  It is not for your emergency use or that of emergency vehicles in case of accidents. For you to do so would a) hinder 50% of Thai drivers from driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway ,  b) Possibly prevent drivers from doing almost emergency stops when they suddenly spot a SomTam vender selling their goods on the hard shoulder and c) and this is most important , indicate to vagrants that you a foreigner following their own driving codes and hence expose yourself to unwanted attention.

Now stop this crazy idea of wanting to understand and follow driving codes and accept you are in Thailand - For your own well being.

On 8/18/2018 at 3:45 PM, benlovesnuk said:

I did ask a tourist police officer and he agreed with me unofficially a year or so ago, I understand peoples attitudes to keeping ones head low, and staying out of trouble, but just like when they try to come onto my side of the road, or not stop for the car on their side, I am unable to see it that way and pursue with what makes sense to me. Im often seeing cars approach me half the car width over the central line, (and had one incident with a near fatal crash) expecting me to stop or move over so they dont scratch their car on plants. I remind them that the game of chicken the are wanting to play will end worse than a plant brushing your paint, and they have so far 100% of the time move back to their side(this is without the family inside of course). This is also the case for mopeds motorcycle drivers crossing solid lines to get past traffic, on my side every other (presumed) thai driver moves over, I do not.

Whilst many might see this as foolishness, (to which i can understand) they do it because they get away with it, and like children they need to be taught (unfortunately) that there are rules that their country set and they are as a national also responsible like every person in the country to abide. The idea that they can use im a thai person is unfortunately lost on me, and serves as no warning for how I will continue to live my life as a non thai who is apparently expected to be wrong simply for not being thai, that racism will not persist. Those that pay the cop do so (and thats fine forgive the pum) is not how I like to do things, I however think that penalizing tourists with a road traffic trap is not the best way to show tourists your country off to those you need to balance the books for revisits, why not hit the shops hiring the mopeds, (of course we know the answer)?

I will add, im frustrated for my fellow thai drivers who sit patiently scared of being first to act, for their brand new car or the terrifying ordeal of social awkwardness, to ensue. however with non of these ailments to my name or person I will fight for this junction and the green light and get rid of this BULLSCHMIDT nonsense. Thanks for everyones replies

Not sure you are 100% in the right. In Canada, the road must be shared. So if a car slightly crosses

the yellow line to pass a parked/broken down car that may be partially blocking his lane and you

fail to move over when you have space on your side of the road, you would be in the wrong. Running

head-on into another car playing chicken is one thing but hitting a scooter rider head on because he

is passing on the yellow line/ slightly in your lave when you have room to move over slightly is crazy.

You must experience wicked road rage here. I look forward to hearing about your experience when you

piss off one of the many lunatic Thia drivers that I read about regularly.

I have to be honest, you sound no better than them. Growing up a kid who never shared his toys.  

On 8/18/2018 at 3:45 PM, benlovesnuk said:

You do realize that when in Rome...   chill and adapt. You are the guest here. Leave the law enforcement to the Thais and if you don’t like the traffic, either don’t drive, or go home.  Nobody wins a traffic fight if there are injuries or worse. 

Furthermore, the western style defensive driving style would not subscribe to a theory that one driver has the right to “teach another a lesson. “

Yuelding to traffic is a basic courtesy.   

Quick question, I thought u-turning at a red light is only allowed when there is a sign telling you it is allowed. As far as I remember the Thai highway code says that unless otherwise specified it is not allowed to u-turn at a red light. 

Quick question, I thought u-turning at a red light is only allowed when there is a sign telling you it is allowed. As far as I remember the Thai highway code says that unless otherwise specified it is not allowed to u-turn at a red light. 

I would think u turn on red is never allowed

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2018 at 3:33 AM, teutonian said:

You do realize that when in Rome...   chill and adapt. You are the guest here. Leave the law enforcement to the Thais and if you don’t like the traffic, either don’t drive, or go home.  Nobody wins a traffic fight if there are injuries or worse. 

Furthermore, the western style defensive driving style would not subscribe to a theory that one driver has the right to “teach another a lesson. “

Yuelding to traffic is a basic courtesy.   

Im not a guest, i dont subscribe to your philosophy and your way of thinking is a cowards way of living life. first of all thais do not own this country they have no greater right then me as a person within their country abiding by the laws. just because all of you want to patronise them and go along with that sysyem be my guest. i feel sorrow for your lack of judgement and self decency. 

traching people lessons is a reasonable and adequate way to improve systems. everyone around where my home is, has stopped heafing over the central line which they persisted in before. 

im talking about the uturn when uturn trafgic is green, and the left turning traffic that will turn onto the uturn traffic. it should stop. the fact that everyone gives me this bull farang there are no rules is sad amd frankly disturbing. what about insurance police and codes. just because you have your experiences doesnt mean thays they way it is or should be. thankfully im not like all of you who except the staus quo of being a guest, whatever that means, and that peoole drive dangerously. you are also the problem not me, i dont just accept things and its so sad to see so many defeated people changing their habits. very sad.

On 8/20/2018 at 10:26 AM, mogandave said:

I would think u turn on red is never allowed

no its not. im talking about uturn traffic on green being stopped by the red traffic turning left on to the merging road. they keep going and so green light doesnt move. this seems like the thai version of mexican standoff. all i want to know is, but failing to get, and instead didnt need the youre a guest, this is thailand, your dangerous for driving correctly nonsense. thank you for replying anyway.

On 8/20/2018 at 10:06 AM, JoeW said:

no, as previous the uturn is on green. the red light traffic is left turning on the merging road of both. which stops dead the uturn traffic on green. people ahead of me i will presume thai are too afraid to go because no one knows what is the right of way. people get away with this because as youve seen demonstrated above the cowardly decisions of other to promote dangerous driving simply because people are thai. The kind of patronizing nonsense that comes out of foreign minds is sometimes baffling to me. I thank you for your reply and not adfing to the baffonary.

On 8/19/2018 at 11:25 PM, DJ54 said:

You already know the answer....

261A1366-7E6E-4638-8396-D856B1F0733A.jpeg

thanks. i just hoped someone knew the actual code. As im happy to help others but want to know its the actual right thing. im happy to stand ground as a guest in this country for fellow drivers, but was looking for something more concrete to stand in. thank you anyway.

On 8/19/2018 at 10:24 PM, Ulic said:

Not sure you are 100% in the right. In Canada, the road must be shared. So if a car slightly crosses

the yellow line to pass a parked/broken down car that may be partially blocking his lane and you

fail to move over when you have space on your side of the road, you would be in the wrong. Running

head-on into another car playing chicken is one thing but hitting a scooter rider head on because he

is passing on the yellow line/ slightly in your lave when you have room to move over slightly is crazy.

You must experience wicked road rage here. I look forward to hearing about your experience when you

piss off one of the many lunatic Thia drivers that I read about regularly.

I have to be honest, you sound no better than them. Growing up a kid who never shared his toys.  

thanks for your reply. i think you might have misunderstood the actual situation. Im saying there is no obstruction and cars are over the central line on my side. however if there was an obstruction on theirs they proceed to move into my lane and i have to stop. how can that make sense. when i say play chicken i mean im in my lane and they are also in my lane and im not going to stop because im being forced off. nothing as severe as you mention.

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Many left turns have signs saying left turn is okay on red...

yes. i know. thats not the problem. the problem is red light on left should surely stop for green coming from anywhere? right. including uturn, whuch it doesnt holding up green.

Archived