Traffic light cross roads misunderstanding

yes. i know. thats not the problem. the problem is red light on left should surely stop for green coming from anywhere? right. including uturn, whuch it doesnt holding up green.

If there is a sign that says left turn does not have to stop for red, it is my understanding you do not have to stop for red.

That said, I think the left turns are supposed to turn into the left-most lane, which they don’t always do.

It was my understanding that U-Turns at all cross roads (4 way junctions) are illegal unless the signing suggests otherwise. Of course, in many cases people do not know this rule or ignore it and U-Turn a cross roads anyway right under the noses of the police who really don't care at all about enforcing road regulations. 

With left turns... You can turn left at a Red light where there is a sign which suggests its OK to do so. The practice has become so common in Bangkok that at some junctions there are signs indicating you cannot turn left on red. As such, each junction has its own individual rule. 

With such a lack of enforcement everywhere I am finding myself simply doing what I want when I want, if the U-Turn is permitted or not, left turn on red permitted or not... I just do what I want (obviously only when safe to do so). It ultimately saves me time and I never get stopped. 

3 hours ago, benlovesnuk said:

Im not a guest, i dont subscribe to your philosophy and your way of thinking is a cowards way of living life. first of all thais do not own this country they have no greater right then me as a person within their country abiding by the laws. just because all of you want to patronise them and go along with that sysyem be my guest. i feel sorrow for your lack of judgement and self decency. 

traching people lessons is a reasonable and adequate way to improve systems. everyone around where my home is, has stopped heafing over the central line which they persisted in before. 

im talking about the uturn when uturn trafgic is green, and the left turning traffic that will turn onto the uturn traffic. it should stop. the fact that everyone gives me this bull farang there are no rules is sad amd frankly disturbing. what about insurance police and codes. just because you have your experiences doesnt mean thays they way it is or should be. thankfully im not like all of you who except the staus quo of being a guest, whatever that means, and that peoole drive dangerously. you are also the problem not me, i dont just accept things and its so sad to see so many defeated people changing their habits. very sad.

Goodluck with an attitude such as yours.

Make sure your well insured.

Also if you want to teach Thais a lesson get a bullet proof car.

I experience the same 'Isaan stand off' every day when I take the lad to school. I am at the intersection in the right-hand lane and waiting for green before making a u-turn to the right and heading the opposite direction. Invariably there's morning traffic making a normally legal right-on-red from the road to my right to head in the same direction as me. If they use the filter lane or even the nearside, left-hand lane (to them) there's usually no conflict. The big issue is with the locals general inability to turn the bloody steering wheel enough to stay within the lines and the worst ones are the those that instantly shoot across to the 'fast' right-hand lane.

I find a similar issue at another set of traffic lights coming back from school where right-turn is allowed from center and right-hand lanes. If I am in the center lane, the vehicle turning inside me from the right-hand lane will invariably wander across the white line to get into the near-side, left-hand lane that I am already occupying. If I am in the right hand lane, the vehicle turning from the center lane will invariably try and cut across the white line to the right-hand lane which I am occupying.

1. Right of way, despite being mentioned in the Thai Highway Code, is an alien concept.

2. Give way, despite being mentioned in the Thai Highway Code, is also an alien concept.

3. We are aliens, they aren't.

PS: This alien has HGV airhorns and a 32" LED floodbar fitted for the above instances of attempted road muppetry. I call it 'shock and awe.' *

(* with thanks to George W. Bush)

• 2 months later...
On 8/18/2018 at 2:12 PM, petermik said:

Apparently the new "Thai Highway Code Book" is in the process of being printed at this moment....due out on the 12th of never....until then proceed with caution on Thailands roads and never forget that a car flashing its lights does not mean "you first sir" but "out of the way I,m, coming through".........:thumbsup:

In all countries the flashing of headlights indicates the presence of that motorist......anything else is subtext derived from the circumstances

31 minutes ago, kwilco said:

In all countries the flashing of headlights indicates the presence of that motorist......anything else is subtext derived from the circumstances

Among professional flashing of the lights means "its OK to go" , when a truck engages their turn signals to do a blind side turn I would flash my lights at him telling him "it's ok to go" after he makes the lane change, he will flash rear driving lights "thank you"

25 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Among professional flashing of the lights means "its OK to go" , when a truck engages their turn signals to do a blind side turn I would flash my lights at him telling him "it's ok to go" after he makes the lane change, he will flash rear driving lights "thank you"

No...you may mean that but it is NOT  What flashing lights mean....sounds like you drive in UK where flashing lights are used also with subtext....usually the guy is saying I'm here (first point), I see you and by my road position speed or even SEEING ME THROUGH THE WINDOW I'm indicating you should go first...... " ... but all the lights do legally vindicate position. Also in UK lights can  Be flashed to say many other things.  E.g. "I'm here and you are making be angry by your bad driving" this is often accompanied by use of the horn which has exactly the same  purpose as flashing headlights.

It is unfortunate that people mistake convention at home for what is actually happening...this is one reason that foreign drivers in Thailand have so many misconceptions about what is actually happening around them.

You may find it helpful to dig up a copy of the translated Thai highway code to, clear up some of these misconceptions.

In the US people flash their lights when:

1. They are coming towards you in the dark and your lights are off.

2. They are behind you, you are signaling to get over and they are letting you know it is safe to do so. Generally the vehicle wanting to get over is a truck or car with a trailer.

In Thailand it seems to be a warning, but in the US a judge would likely say if you had time to blink your lights you had time to stop.

Archived