Heavy rains forecast for upper Thailand through Sunday

Jonathan Fairfield

Heavy rains forecast for upper Thailand through Sunday

By The Nation

n1.jpeg

River overflows and flash floods are possible as the Meteorological Department forecasts heavy rain for upper Thailand through Sunday due to the influence of an active low-pressure cell.

In its warning issued at 11am on Saturday, the department said the cell had covered the upper North of Thailand by 7am and had extended to cover Myanmar by 10am.

Abundant rain is forecast for the upper country while isolated torrential downpours are predicted for the North, Central, East and South of Thailand.

Flash floods and water overflows are possible, the department said.

It said affected areas are as follows:

On Saturday

North: Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Lampang, Sukhothai, Kamphaeng Phet and Tak.

Central: Ratchaburi and Kanchanaburi.

East: Chanthaburi and Trat.

South: Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Ranong, Phang Nga and Phuket.

On Sunday

North: Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Sukhothai and Tak.

East: Chanthaburi and Trat.

South: Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Ranong, Phang Nga, Phuket and Krabi.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30352436

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-18

PM says monitor weather reports, avoid waterfalls

By The Nation

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has expressed concern over possible flooding around the country, said Government Spokesman Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd on Saturday.

Sansern quoted Prayut as expressing concern that many parts of the country could be hit by floods under the influence of Bebinca tropical storm, which is expected to unleash heavy rains on much of Thailand.

The PM advises people to closely monitor weather forecasts and warnings from the Meteorological Department.

The spokesman said Prayut is especially concerned about tourists visiting waterfalls and wants them to be aware of possible runs-off.

The prime minister had also instructed park officials to monitor and warn tourists of the dangers posed by mountain runoffs at waterfalls and of high waves at the seaside.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30352439

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-18

20 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

PM advises people to closely monitor weather forecasts and warnings from the Meteorological Department.

Thank you for these words of advice Mr PM. It's a shame most weather warnings come after the event.

4 hours ago, grahamg said:

Didn't I read somewhere last year that there would be no more flooding?

You doubtless keep reading about flooding - quite why they go on about a few small areas not sure?

If there isn't a lot more rain soon in the NE the next thing you will be reading about is drought, most of the reservoirs up here are on the low side.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:22 PM, bluesofa said:

In other news: PM suggests people should use their common sense, but only after he has suggested it first.

Damned if he does - damned if he doesn't. He's not my favourite cup of tea - but the relentless harpies on this Forum  appear to have nothing better to do than sneer at every Thai person, every Thai attempt to do anything and everything and then sneer at those who agree with how Thailand is trying to emerge as a nation; irrespective of the corruption that is instilled in most people who live here and accept it as normal. You aren't going to change it - so why not lay off the senseless criticism and grow up yourselves!

Not to worry, it may be raining heavily but I have it on good authority there will be no flooding.

All the pictures you see are fake news. Probably from the time of the Yingluck led government. 

The main highway Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai ( 118 ) is closed. I took the CM to Phrao route (1001) today, then cut back to Wiang Pa Pao on the 1150. A good run out to Phrao; however, the 50 odd km through the mountains is very slow and twisty, took me 1 hr 15 minutes. Hardly any traffic on the 118 after Wiang Pa Pao - buses and trucks aren't running.

A very scenic drive, which compensated for the slow pace. Road is a bit chopped up in places. All the rivers I saw were in flood.

On 8/18/2018 at 3:22 PM, bluesofa said:

In other news: PM suggests people should use their common sense, but only after he has suggested it first.

I was hoping he was going to spend his weekend offering alms and prayer to his God, deep inside that cave near Chiang Rai, obviously taking his mate with the watches as a timekeeper along with a healthy supply of the Saffron Mafia to aide in his prayers.

2 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Damned if he does - damned if he doesn't. He's not my favourite cup of tea - but the relentless harpies on this Forum  appear to have nothing better to do than sneer at every Thai person, every Thai attempt to do anything and everything and then sneer at those who agree with how Thailand is trying to emerge as a nation; irrespective of the corruption that is instilled in most people who live here and accept it as normal. You aren't going to change it - so why not lay off the senseless criticism and grow up yourselves!

What do you mean sit in the corner and say nothing like Thais to have with an unelected government or sprinkle some sarcasm and humour on some often dire stories ?

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

The main highway Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai ( 118 ) is closed. I took the CM to Phrao route (1001) today, then cut back to Wiang Pa Pao on the 1150. A good run out to Phrao; however, the 50 odd km through the mountains is very slow and twisty, took me 1 hr 15 minutes. Hardly any traffic on the 118 after Wiang Pa Pao - buses and trucks aren't running.

A very scenic drive, which compensated for the slow pace. Road is a bit chopped up in places. All the rivers I saw were in flood.

See someone posted on Facebook today large lorry and double decker both in large holes on their side landslides or subsidence road close in 3 places?

3 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Thai bashers, Trump bashers; must be in their dna. Might be even the same kind of people.

Yes, I know, there are no self bashers. Let's bash all the bashers then? Nah, forget it.

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

See someone posted on Facebook today large lorry and double decker both in large holes on their side landslides or subsidence road close in 3 places?

There was another double semi that lost his rear trailer after Mae Suai. Past the turnoff to Doi Chang. Winding road, the only explanation I can think of is he took the curve too fast.

Photo of the river at Charin Garden restaurant.

IMG20180819124953.jpg

Archived