Passport with multiple re-entry Non O-A stolen

My foreign passport was stolen while travelling in Spain. I'm back in my home country and getting a new passport issued. I have been on Non O-A visa since 2014. The latest multiple re-entry needs to be renewed between 24 Sep-23 Oct. I do have a scan of this saved in my home computer. How best can I get this transferred to the new passport?

12 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

There are no 4 year visa's, more likely an extension of stay which needs to be renewed.

Yes of course. What I meant was that I've been getting annual re-entry visas since my initial one since 2014.

My question was how could I get the stamp in my new passport once it is issued, here in my home country. 

Depending on where you are applying, a Non O visa may be available a lot more easily than a Non O-A. You can then revert to one-year extensions of stay as you have been doing the last couple of years.

I can confirm that there is no procedure to recover the extension stamp and re-entry permit from the lost passport.

Edited by BritTim

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

I can confirm that there is no procedure to recover the extension stamp and re-entry permit from the lost passport.

Not always true. If lost/stolen here it is easy to get the extension reinstated to a new passport by showing a police report it was lost/stolen.

People have been able to enter the country on a visa exempt entry and after losing their passport and get a extension reinstated by showing a police report for where it was lost.

In the case of valid multiple entry visa issued by embassy or consulate it is lost with the passport.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

People have been able to enter the country on a visa exempt entry and after losing their passport and get a extension reinstated by showing a police report for where it was lost.

In the case of valid multiple entry visa issued by embassy or consulate it is lost with the passport.

I am curious as to how this works. Usually, if you lose your re-entry permit (still having the extension) and enter Thailand getting a visa exempt entry, the extension is lost. It is strange that losing both the extension and the re-entry permit puts you in a better position than only losing the re-entry permit. On the other hand, I have learned that you should not always expect logic to govern the actions of official government entities.

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I am curious as to how this works. Usually, if you lose your re-entry permit (still having the extension) and enter Thailand getting a visa exempt entry, the extension is lost. It is strange that losing both the extension and the re-entry permit puts you in a better position than only losing the re-entry permit. On the other hand, I have learned that you should not always expect logic to govern the actions of official government entities.

If it was only a re-entry permit based upon a visa entry it would be lost. A visa issued by embassy or consulate is lost since they will not replace them.

A extension of stay and re-entry permits are issued by immigration and they can reinstate them.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If it was only a re-entry permit based upon a visa entry it would be lost. A visa issued by embassy or consulate is lost since they will not replace them.

A extension of stay and re-entry permits are issued by immigration and they can reinstate them.

I still am not getting this (sorry for being thick). The permission to stay (whether the initial period given on entry to the country or the extended permission) are both issued by immigration, as is the re-entry permit. None of these can be issued by a consulate outside Thailand. I fail to see what a used and no longer relevant visa has to do with the situation.

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I still am not getting this (sorry for being thick). The permission to stay (whether the initial period given on entry to the country or the extended permission) are both issued by immigration, as is the re-entry permit. None of these can be issued by a consulate outside Thailand. I fail to see what a used and no longer relevant visa has to do with the situation.

It is just a clarification of the difference between a visa and a extension of stay since many people mix them up.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

I still am not getting this (sorry for being thick). The permission to stay (whether the initial period given on entry to the country or the extended permission) are both issued by immigration, as is the re-entry permit.

I don't think you understood Joe's first sentence.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could have a 90 day Non Imm O Visa, want to visit Lao, so need a re-entry permit to keep the permission to stay valid from the Visa.

If you lose the Visa, you lose the re-entry permit as well.

In the OP's case, with a new passport he should be able to enter on a VEE, then theoretically have his extension and any re-entry permit reinstated at his local IO,  similar to transferring stamps to a new passport.

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

In the OP's case, with a new passport he should be able to enter on a VEE, then theoretically have his extension and any re-entry permit reinstated at his local IO,  similar to transferring stamps to a new passport.

And were theory, for whatever reason, not to turn out to be practice in the OP's case, he could presumably always apply for a non-O conversion instead to get himself back on the retirement extension road.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I don't think you understood Joe's first sentence.

You could have a 90 day Non Imm O Visa, want to visit Lao, so need a re-entry permit to keep the permission to stay valid from the Visa.

If you lose the Visa, you lose the re-entry permit as well.

I did understand Joe's post. What I still find confusing is why the used visa matters when you have a re-entry permit. (I could understand if Joe''s point was that you are not trying to enter with a re-entry permit issued by immigration, but an unexpired multiple entry visa issued by a consulate.) The permission to stay is given by immigration. I do not see why they can retroactively reinstate it after you entered visa exempt if the entry was extended (with a lost re-entry permit) but cannot do the same if the entry was not extended (again, with a lost re-entry permit). I think the answer is just "no reason, that is just what immigration has decided", but I always find it easier to understand rules if there is some logic behind them.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

What I still find confusing is why the used visa matters when you have a re-entry permit.

It's the Visa that dictates the period of permission to stay on entry.

e.g. Non Imm O > 90 days. Non Imm O-A > 1 year.

The re-entry permit only keeps any remaining permission to stay valid.

Edited by Tanoshi

On 8/19/2018 at 5:49 AM, ubonjoe said:

Not always true. If lost/stolen here it is easy to get the extension reinstated to a new passport by showing a police report it was lost/stolen.

My passport was stolen in Spain. I do have a police report from the airport there. The Thai embassy in my home country had given me a Non O-A in 2014 and after that I was getting the multiple re-entry stamp each year within the renewal window. I was due to renew this between 24 Sep-23 Oct this year on return to Thailand. Would the Thai embassy here help, with the scan I have saved in my computer, to stamp it in my new passport? Or do I start with a fresh Non O-A application here?  

33 minutes ago, captpkapoor said:

I must add that I cannot enter Thailand on a Visa Exempt status; I can get a tourist visa on arrival though.

You cannot apply for a conversion to non immigrant visa (and associated 90-day entry) from within Thailand when you enter with a visa on arrival. You must get some kind of visa outside Thailand before entering. A non immigrant visa would simplify matters.

8 hours ago, captpkapoor said:

My passport was stolen in Spain. I do have a police report from the airport there. The Thai embassy in my home country had given me a Non O-A in 2014 and after that I was getting the multiple re-entry stamp each year within the renewal window. I was due to renew this between 24 Sep-23 Oct this year on return to Thailand. Would the Thai embassy here help, with the scan I have saved in my computer, to stamp it in my new passport? Or do I start with a fresh Non O-A application here?  

The Thai embassy cannot do anything other than issue a new non-oa visa.

Since you are close to needing to apply for a new extension it may be best to apply for a new non-oa visa. 

Or get a tourist visa and ant try to get your extension reinstated and then apply for a new one.

If not the you could apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry and then apply for a extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry.