New poll commissioner vows to prevent crooks from getting into the parliament

rooster59

png.png

Newly-appointed election commissioner Pakorn Mahannop vowed today that he would try to make sure that dishonest people will not be able to get into the parliament.

“In my career as a judge for 36 years, if evidence is not 100 percent clear, I would set the defendants free.  But doing this job (as an election commissioner), if there is any doubt I will definitely not let it go…I will make sure that dishonest people and crooks will not get into (parliament),” said Mr Pakorn during a meeting with provincial election.

He stressed that the new Election Commission would ensure honesty and justice in accordance with the law, but he warned that justice from the commission would not be forthcoming if others are not honest.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-poll-commissioner-vows-to-prevent-crooks-from-getting-into-the-parliament/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-08-19

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure why he is worried, this country is run by utterly dishonest people, that didn't receive even a single vote. I think this person is overdoing his job. If the electorate elects an MP, he should be allowed to serve as an MP. No ex-judge, regardless of time served should interfere. Which reminds me, how did this guy even get this job ?

Er... Ahem... Oh...

Your job is to run a clean election. One side is cheating already by campaigning when others can't, long before it begins. What precisely are you going to do about that?

Looking forward to your clear condemnation of the practice and remedial measures...

5 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Er... Ahem... Oh...

Your job is to run a clean election. One side is cheating already by campaigning when others can't, long before it begins. What precisely are you going to do about that?

Looking forward to your clear condemnation of the practice and remedial measures...

3-monkeys-quote-see-no-evil-hear-no-evil-speak-no-evil-vinyl-graphic-sticker-decal-item-0323-587bb4902.jpg

The problem is as we can see all over the world: When a person gets a position regarding any kind of power or financial areas, they tend to become dishonest. 

That is something which is easier to hide in Thailand, and also easier to get away with, due to the supportive gangland mafia methods the elite part of the population is engaging in. Until that chance, which can only happen if paople really rise up, nothing is going to change. Just doesn´t matter what this man say. He is just using an excessive amount of air, that another more creative and situated person could have made something better with.

Bit late they siezed the government and country 4 years ago.  So does this mean the current crop will be ineligible to run?  What about Mr rolex, his investigation isn't completed, will he still be eligible to run whilst under a corruption investion?

Just enforce bans for people convicted of corruption and other prison sentences. Usually they get a so many year ban, should be lifetime if found guilty of corruption. 

I like his attitude but its not really fair, just make sure the judiciary works faster on corruption cases and let them make sure the ban is added to sentences. This way its proven in court someone is corrupt and can't run. Can't have him.. how ever admirable his thoughts are to be the one deciding. 

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

And here is our popular Sunday quiz, fill in the blank:

New poll commissioner vows to prevent (..............) crooks from getting into the parliament.

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Er... Ahem... Oh...

That "one side" appointed him to a splendid, well paid "retirement job". 

He owes them. 

No doubt he will march in step. 

Seems to me this guy feels he has some power to interfere in the peoples will. Also i suggest someone starts looking at cases he has been involved in as a judge....i thought it was the innocent until proven guilty and the burden of proof is on the prosecution. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Can't have him.. how ever admirable his thoughts are to be the one deciding. 

Remember that this person was selected by an unelected NLA that was appointed by a military junta.

He has no moral high ground to serve as an EC member and decide who will not be able to get into the parliament.

6 hours ago, jerojero said:

Define crook. You mean those who use their government position for personal gain? That's perhaps 90% of eligible candidates eliminated!

Definition of a crook: any member of an opposition party. 

10 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Remember that this person was selected by an unelected NLA that was appointed by a military junta.

He has no moral high ground to serve as an EC member and decide who will not be able to get into the parliament.

Was that not what I was saying.. i like how he thinks.. not allowing crooks as MP's but its not his decision to make. 

Archived