Firelighters in LOS ?

Andrew Dwyer

I lived in a house with a fireplace for 20 years and never heard of these.  According to this video they're used for getting the fire started (because split logs don't catch fire that easily).  Why not just use real kindling?  It's not like there's a shortage of sticks and twigs here.

In "ancient times" when houses in Germany where heated with coal such firelighter cubes were popular/essential.

I can't remember ever having seen them in Thailand.

I guess the question is about lighting a charcoal oven as usual here?

When searching I stumbled about an idea that I might try:

use a paper towel (from kitchen roll) and soak it in cooking oil (can be used/rancid).

Then drape it on the oven plate and fire it up with the (cigarette) lighter.

Still advised to use some wood/branches before putting charcoal on top.

Would be nice if it works instead of the stinking bike tube rubber :biggrin:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

BBQ

We use small kindling, which madam splits specially, and a blowtorch. Gets natural charcoal going very quickly, briquets are much more difficult to start.

The family use an old flip-flop, you definitely don't want the first burger off the grill :sick:

I've seen barbie lighters (and fluid if that floats your boat) in HomePro, with the (expensive) charcoal and barbies.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We use small kindling, which madam splits specially, and a blowtorch. Gets natural charcoal going very quickly, briquets are much more difficult to start.

The family use an old flip-flop, you definitely don't want the first burger off the grill :sick:

I've seen barbie lighters (and fluid if that floats your boat) in HomePro, with the (expensive) charcoal and barbies.

Thanks Crossy, right now am using scrunched up paper, some odd bits of wood that accumulate and charcoal in a barbecue in a bucket ( for want of a better name ! ).

The paper sends a load of ash over where we are gonna eat so just wanted to eliminate the paper with firelighters.

Sorted !

29 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Barbie lighters ?   you talking about Ken ?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The paper sends a load of ash over where we are gonna eat so just wanted to eliminate the paper with firelighters.

Yeah, know what you mean with the paper.

If you don't have blowtorch then a couple of paper towels soaked in used cooking oil work well and don't make loads of flying ash.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, know what you mean with the paper.

If you don't have blowtorch then a couple of paper towels soaked in used cooking oil work well and don't make loads of flying ash.

To be serious, I actually use a gas blowlamp ,  it gets the charcoal hot and burning quickly .  

• Like 2

We do a lot of cooking with charcoal. Madam has a charcoal hob in the outdoor kitchen, far better than gas for things that need HEAT! The barbie is operating at least 5 nights a week.

post-14979-0-00738600-1453804640_thumb.j

We get our charcoal from a local chap who burns it in the traditional manner using renewable wood (there are sometimes suspiciously "pallet shaped" bits mind), he delivers it by bicycle.

Carbon neutral cooking ?

We are having Korean style pulgogi (actually daechi pulgogi made with pork) tonight, with imported kimchi. Cooked on the table over charcoal of course.

From a few months ago, grandkids looking very expectant ?

20170312_182600.thumb.jpg.488b6e3cbca271

• Like 2

We do a lot of cooking with charcoal. Madam has a charcoal hob in the outdoor kitchen, far better than gas for things that need HEAT! The barbie is operating at least 5 nights a week.

post-14979-0-00738600-1453804640_thumb.jpg&key=97c317ecc6c64e00d4bb709e0dd606bbefc1a6191f70422df7260e0429c0e407

We get our charcoal from a local chap who burns it in the traditional manner using renewable wood (there are sometimes suspiciously "pallet shaped" bits mind), he delivers it by bicycle.

Carbon neutral cooking [emoji846]

We are having Korean style pulgogi (actually daechi pulgogi made with pork) tonight, with imported kimchi. Cooked on the table over charcoal of course.

From a few months ago, grandkids looking very expectant [emoji846]

20170312_182600.thumb.jpg.488b6e3cbca271059e1b054e928cb160.jpg&key=56a10957b9e93289be14f075349aaff41ee7e22763d53a647ff682042762e51c

That would explain her profiency with a blowtorch then !!

I would like to build a bbq when I get the garden sorted ( but that is for another thread, and probably another year ! )

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

That sounds like a quick and easy option, where is a good place to buy a blowtorch/blowlamp ??

Take this photo to your local hardware store or DIY outlet.

20180819_162844.jpg

Butane cartridges everywhere, even Tesco.

• Like 1

OK - Now we're getting somewhere....This is what you need.....Charcoal on top, crumpled paper on the bottom....Light the paper & in 8-12 minutes your coals are ready using the chimney affect.....Holds 2.8 kg of charcoal so starts enough to bbq with or add more as needed....
Some just start a few coals & pop a grill on top to use for morning water or coffee when camping.....
No chemicals, lasts forever = problem solved....
Ordered this one off Ebay & got within 2 weeks.....
Wanted to bring one back on our last trip over but the weight limit got in my way (not heavy - just no room left)......
Works a charm.....
Screenshot_2018-08-19-14-28-49-09.thumb.png.592454a21a64b48d6614e374ac3fd312.png

Been using pretty much the same thing for 60 years, only we always used a coffee can with the top and bottom cut out.

Use an old can opener around the bottom for air holes...
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mogandave said:

Been using pretty much the same thing for 60 years, only we always used a coffee can with the top and bottom cut out.

Use an old can opener around the bottom for air holes...

I've had this type for many years....

Before I got it I scouted around for a diy possibility but we didn't have anything workable.....

HomePro sell firelighters: 50 baht a pack.

https://www.homepro.co.th/product/250884

Thanks for that.

I had typed Firelighters in the Homepro search but came up with nothing, after seeing your post typed Firestarters in........ still nothing !!
Apparently you have to type Fire Starters to get a result !!

Makes the search function on Homepro site very ineffective .