How to deodorize your ride?

Crossy

10 hours ago, mogandave said:

I made several, why not read the thread?

Let's not be a hypocrite!  there are four pages now on this subject neither you or I am going to run through all the past comments.  You made a remark right after mines I assume it was directed at my response I defended it because you made no other statement to justify it! I think a less argumentive way is just to say your previous posted suggestion is a better solution.

Sure you might not have soiled yourself lately and for sure as you get older you will and if your clothes are dirty and smell what does one do first? 

Finally, if you read the ops statement he feels the stink has gone beyond the AC unit, it has accordingly attached itself or embedded into the fabric of the seat and interior just as if a person with underarm problem stained their shirt so the first thing one does is try to wash it out, not put a blower or hang out the shirt hoping the wind blow it out?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, canthai55 said:
Great idea - fill your car with toxins ... 555
A plug-in air freshener contained more than 20 different volatile organic compounds, with more than one-third classified as toxic or hazardous under federal laws. Even air fresheners called "organic," "green," or with "essential oils" emitted hazardous chemicals, including carcinogens.

Please get real, are you living in a bubble!  We are talking about cleaning or getting rid of the smell which seems to have been embedded into the fabric of his vehicle. 

This is what I term " ANAL RETENTIVE "  inflexible in life to meet the real reality of living!  I'm all for protecting the environment but do you ever even come out of your home or eat because regardless of how you feel to survive you are most likely using other items even a plastic spoon a straw that hurts the environment. What is your suggestion crush the vehicle and let it sit in the scrap yard polluting the ground waiting for it to be recycled? Get a life!  Loosen up!

1 minute ago, thailand49 said:

Please get real, are you living in a bubble!  We are talking about cleaning or getting rid of the smell which seems to have been embedded into the fabric of his vehicle. 

This is what I term " ANAL RETENTIVE "  inflexible in life to meet the real reality of living!  I'm all for protecting the environment but do you ever even come out of your home or eat because regardless of how you feel to survive you are most likely using other items even a plastic spoon a straw that hurts the environment. Get a life!  Loosen up!

Calm down chap, the OP has all his answers to fix the problem...

PS. STP upholstery cleaner sinks into fabric seats and "lifts" dirt along with it's smell to the surface that can be wiped away with a damp cloth..Excellent stuff. I bought it in Tesco.

Let's not be a hypocrite!  there are four pages now on this subject neither you or I am going to run through all the past comments.  You made a remark right after mines I assume it was directed at my response I defended it because you made no other statement to justify it! I think a less argumentive way is just to say your previous posted suggestion is a better solution.
Sure you might not have soiled yourself lately and for sure as you get older you will and if your clothes are dirty and smell what does one do first? 
Finally, if you read the ops statement he feels the stink has gone beyond the AC unit, it has accordingly attached itself or embedded into the fabric of the seat and interior just as if a person with underarm problem stained their shirt so the first thing one does is try to wash it out, not put a blower or hang out the shirt hoping the wind blow it out?

Well, I see now you’ve read the thread, thanks.

Unfortunately, the smell is not only embedded in the seat, it is also embedded in the foam, batting & carpet. Cleaning the surface will likely not help much.

Let’s hope neither of us soils ourselves again any time soon.

4 hours ago, transam said:

Calm down chap, the OP has all his answers to fix the problem...

PS. STP upholstery cleaner sinks into fabric seats and "lifts" dirt along with it's smell to the surface that can be wiped away with a damp cloth..Excellent stuff. I bought it in Tesco.

Calm down I know the ops have his answer I think you should tell it to the guy who thinks I'm destroying the environment by suggesting using a fabric seat cleaning and posted his comment to me. I know it works that's why I suggested it and the ops kindly responded!  

What you agree is what I suggested but he basically said and since you agree by doing so is destroying our planet!

2 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Calm down I know the ops have his answer I think you should tell it to the guy who thinks I'm destroying the environment by suggesting using a fabric seat cleaning and posted his comment to me. I know it works that's why I suggested it and the ops kindly responded!  

What you agree is what I suggested but he basically said and since you agree by doing so is destroying our planet!

My farts do that....?

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

Well, I see now you’ve read the thread, thanks.

Unfortunately, the smell is not only embedded in the seat, it is also embedded in the foam, batting & carpet. Cleaning the surface will likely not help much.

Let’s hope neither of us soils ourselves again any time soon.

I also see you also went back and finally understand what the ops was saying!  You might to also read Transam reply to me it suggest basically the same thing.  It does help and should be the first step to trying to fix the problem others can do what they like.  My wife likes to go to the market the smaller car is fabric interior,  often the fish she buys is on the passenger seat of floor and it leaks, the fluid dry and you got the smell, I use the foam cleaning all the time even thought I destroying the environment and it does it job. If it didn't then the next step if it bothers me is to take it to a shop and have it all replaced.

I have no shame, if I do I'll do as you suggest, blow dry it and hang it out.

I also see you also went back and finally understand what the ops was saying!  You might to also read Transam reply to me it suggest basically the same thing.  It does help and should be the first step to trying to fix the problem others can do what they like.  My wife likes to go to the market the smaller car is fabric interior,  often the fish she buys is on the passenger seat of floor and it leaks, the fluid dry and you got the smell, I use the foam cleaning all the time even thought I destroying the environment and it does it job. If it didn't then the next step if it bothers me is to take it to a shop and have it all replaced.

I have no shame, if I do I'll do as you suggest, blow dry it and hang it out.

To be clear, nothing dripped on the seats, there was a dead animal in the air conditioner.

I agree that if you drip something on the seats, cleaning it off would be the first step.

My wife puts the drippy stuff in a plastic tray/pan.

That tranny recommended something (tire pressure not withstanding) it probably not a great idea...

Have you ever found a dead body?  I have, 4 in 30 years managing my family apartment building.

I still remember the first time, and I was warned due to rent control and having elderly tenants. The first sign something is wrong postman pulls a notice on their mailbox " full "  I go to the door knock call out no answer. Go to get the keys, open the door call out, lights on, T.V on, heater on high hot as heck inside old folks, in general, like it that way. Go room by room calling out then push bedroom door open bang body on the floor! When the shock finally wears off you realize you smell like hell is all over you and your clothes you never forget the smell and the longer you are around the body the harder it is to get rid of the smell if after a few tries you just junk it.

When one dies fluid is released from your body my tenant fluid stained the hardwood floors that we had to replace the entire bedroom over.

So, that being said, let's get back to your mouse in the vent, when it dies it also release fluid that fluid dries on the surface of the vent. Just because you removed it doesn't mean the smell will go away and putting a blower inside the vent doesn't seem in my book to work since you got to be able to get to the dry fluid and wipe it off if you can? The ops said it smells like it is coming all within the interior of the vehicle like the cloth seat lining etc.  just like when I found my first body once the door was open it started to escape and attached itself to my clothes.

Here is another true story a family member purchased a rehab house and there was a fairly new stove, it didn't fit into his plans or design. He said there was a smell when he turns it on when Ic I check it out it was the smell of a mouse or rat being cooked. He said get rid of the stove when I moved it there were like hundreds of mouse pallets under the stove. I took it back to my house when I had time I took it apart and there was Mickey and a few of his friends cooked burn into the metal thus the smell. I took the parts out soaked wash them and soaked in Vinegar, steam and water pressured the unit a number of times. After I put it back hooked it up the smell was gone sold it on Craigslist for 300 bucks. 

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but I start there!

Take some piece of common bbq charcoal, put them in a worn cotton pillowcase. Then use a hammer and smash them into small chunks. Wrap it up and close the open end with a cable tie, so nothing comes out.

Then put it under your seat...

Odor gone.

If you do have a dead rat in your engine bay this doesn’t help!

I once drove up from Phuket to Phitsanaluk with a load of fish (don't ask!) in a styrofoam container. On arrival further north there were peals of laughter from the ladies who could still smell fish in the back (sportrider).

Their answer- a bag of charcoal. Did the trick very quickly.

Whoops- comment made after just page one- missed the handbags and the post right above mine!

14 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Get a life!  Loosen up!

I posted of the dangers of air fresheners - especially in the small, confined area of a car interior. Nothing else.

Seems dead human bodies and apartment buildings will not fit in the OP's evaporator compartment. Bit off topic - no ?

I've dumped half a bottle of Eucalyptus oil down the Plenum chamber in the past.  

I'd had a styrafoam box with thenas yet uncooked bbq meats.

Trouble was that I' had an accident there before it got taken out to be cooked!

In hospital 7 weeks, the meat left unknown in the closed car cabin, and the stench was a killer - until the Eucalyptus overpowered it with it's own eyewatering effects

8 hours ago, canthai55 said:

I posted of the dangers of air fresheners - especially in the small, confined area of a car interior. Nothing else.

Seems dead human bodies and apartment buildings will not fit in the OP's evaporator compartment. Bit off topic - no ?

Bye, don't let your breath kill you!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived