Lawn - how to get rid of other plants/grasses in it?

On 8/19/2018 at 5:53 PM, Bob12345 said:

used for the dogs to be outside and the kids to walk around on.

Yes, products will not cost the OP much in terms of trial and error, but what are they costing in the health of his dogs and kids? 

Are any of the above products completely safe? You would think if they kill everything they touch then they couldn't be too good for other living things (human and animal). 

Everything goes to shit in rain season. I think best just to keep cutting it and even getting the kids to pull them out (probably check the Melioidosis and Leptospirosis status of the area first and wear protective gear - especially rain season).  

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Yes, products will not cost the OP much in terms of trial and error, but what are they costing in the health of his dogs and kids? 

Are any of the above products completely safe? You would think if they kill everything they touch then they couldn't be too good for other living things (human and animal). 

Everything goes to shit in rain season. I think best just to keep cutting it and even getting the kids to pull them out (probably check the Melioidosis and Leptospirosis status of the area first and wear protective gear - especially rain season).  

Fair comment, safety first!

I normally wear protective gear when spraying the weedkiller and won't let anybody on the lawn for like 24 hours. Then before "opening it up for the smaller ones" I would first water the lawn extensively to wash away any leftover poison. Currently the dog eats from the lawn (I spread around the food in the grass so she needs to look for it and takes more time to find it all) so that will stop temporary. The risk of poisoning the dog and kids is also the reason i am rather hesitant with using chemicals.

On 8/23/2018 at 9:14 AM, Nemises said:

IMG_2950.PNG.b15605ac74579be71e5767d0f97f5606.PNG

This product works fine for me...kills everything except your lawn.

“Yates Bindii and Clover herbicide is an economical, broad spectrum weed killer designed to control bindii, clover AND OTHER BROADLEAF WEEDS in many types of lawns”

HomePro? Global? Thai Watsadu? ????

Any suggestions where to buy much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, masuk said:

A word of warning about Roundup/Glyphosphate.  It is being withdrawn by some countries as it is a suspected carcinogen, so handle it carefully.   

Monsanto's "tentacles" have spread far and wide in the US with ex-Monsanto folk occupying key roles in Govt agencies and are used to fight off bad press and influence decisions on glyphosate. However this link below states a potentially frightening aspect of it...……..

Roundup exposure speeds up antibiotic resistance - study

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12141543 

Monsanto's "tentacles" have spread far and wide in the US with ex-Monsanto folk occupying key roles in Govt agencies and are used to fight off bad press and influence decisions on glyphosate. However this link below states a potentially frightening aspect of it...……..

Roundup exposure speeds up antibiotic resistance - study

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12141543 

I thought they were all over the world, no?

So do European chemical companies get a pass?

11 hours ago, mogandave said:

I thought they were all over the world, no?

So do European chemical companies get a pass?

Not sure what you mean on this mogandave??? But the point I was trying to make was that roundup/glyphosate got its foothold because of the way Monsanto "seeded" US agencies with people who were "favourable" to its use so bad press and rulings were dealt with early on, but even they couldn't stop some court rulings.

Yes now it is made by other companies, but its use in the following countries has either been completely banned, partially banned or stopped being used in public places: – Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Bermuda, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Denmark, El Salvador, England, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Scotland, Slovenia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden and Switzerland.

The Argentina experience with regards to the spraying of glyphosate is truly alarming and well worth looking up if one is interested. Also: https://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/toxic-tort-law/monsanto-roundup-lawsuit/where-is-glyphosate-banned/  

Archived