C Mai to C Rai Highway Re-opening Forecast

RubbaJohnny

Wife told me about the rd closures

I am Overseas at present but hope to return home along that road about 24/25th August if open?

If closure longer I may reroute via Bangkok

Be most interested to any links or updates from those on the spot, I can sometimes get net and thai press but seems little info on how long repairs will take

2 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

I got caught yesterday, missed the detour sign at the Phayao turn off and the police turned me back in the mountains. 200km detour via Lampang.
Will go home via Fang.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Where did they turn you around? I hope it was before the washouts.

The step daughter was booked on a bus yesterday from Phayao to Chiang Mai. She was returning to Uni.

The bus company contacted her on Saturday. She had to go via Lampang. She still left at the same time. The bus company did not charge any extra. 

I stopped for coffee at the hot springs and then went on about 5kms. The police had a road block and told me to go around via Lampang. Some one suggested there was another shorter option but I’m not familiar with the area.

There is a major roadworks on the 118 in the mountains some way north of Doi Saket. Delays have been getting pretty bad anyway, even before the washout, up to 2 hours delay I heard about 10 days ago.

My understanding is that this is part of a major highway development that will cut across to Phayao, Pa Daet and from there to the Laos border hooking up with one of the highways to China.

The development is on a Thai gov't website, but it's all in Thai of course, and I don't have the link handy.

35 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

I stopped for coffee at the hot springs and then went on about 5kms. The police had a road block and told me to go around via Lampang. Some one suggested there was another shorter option but I’m not familiar with the area.

If you had gone back on 118 and then turned onto 120 heading for Phayao there is a road off 120 with a sign for Lampang. Its about 12 kms after you turn onto 120. I have never been on that road but travel 120 every few months.

Went through an hour ago on the normal route 118 - took 3.5 hrs CM to CR. There are two spots where they stop traffic both ways to allow diggers to work but the delay was about 15mins, enough time to turn off and get out to stretch your legs. A bit muddy at one point - workers were on hand to push the odd vehicle through - but overall a good trip and a very good job by the authorities in getting the road passable in 48 hrs.

Probably better to take a Green bus until things settle down. The 1150 from Wiang Pa Pao to Phrao is very twisty and the road is crumbling in a lot of places - looks like there is only an inch of bitumen on the surface.

11 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

There is a major roadworks on the 118 in the mountains some way north of Doi Saket. Delays have been getting pretty bad anyway, even before the washout, up to 2 hours delay I heard about 10 days ago.

My understanding is that this is part of a major highway development that will cut across to Phayao, Pa Daet and from there to the Laos border hooking up with one of the highways to China.

The development is on a Thai gov't website, but it's all in Thai of course, and I don't have the link handy.

The traffic is slow in the roadworks area because grossly overloaded pickups won't go faster than about 5 km/hr for fear of capsizing, and there's no room to pass them.

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The traffic is slow in the roadworks area because grossly overloaded pickups won't go faster than about 5 km/hr for fear of capsizing, and there's no room to pass them

Well yes that and a few other reasons!

When I last drove that route a couple of months ago, the traffic was slow beause of the chicanes, the loose surface and the dust. I was planning to use that route last week, but had second thoughts about it after considering the effects of the heavy rain on the loose dusty surface. The mud must have been impossible even without the washout.

Sadly, there are no direct flights at the moment, and I'm not going to do a 5 hour route through Lampang.

37 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

I'm starting back to CR tomorrow will go via the northern route.

The Fang 107 route? That'll be interesting, especially if the rain continues, though it does look like the worst is over. Please let us know how it goes.

Not wishing to appear argumentative, but if the rain returns I'd chose the Lampang route for safety and speed, despite the longer distance.

As I said yesterday, the 118 road is OK but just a bit slow in the two main areas of repair, but nothing that bad/slow that would’ve made me - in retrospect - go the long 2ay around. I’ve attached a couple of photos which aren’t that brilliant but at least show it’s passable..

2F8CB1CE-40E6-4499-BA0E-4959E225D194.jpeg

7D0FCF5D-ADC8-4BEA-8FF1-9F00DD7CB4B9.jpeg

10 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

The Fang 107 route? That'll be interesting, especially if the rain continues, though it does look like the worst is over. Please let us know how it goes.

Not wishing to appear argumentative, but if the rain returns I'd chose the Lampang route for safety and speed, despite the longer distance.

I took the Fang route to show friends the area, I'm up at Doi Mae Salong now.

No problems at all the only dodgy part of the trip was actually in Mae Salong town where the road went away a few years back and looks like it's ready to go again anytime.

Very little rain, a few light showers.

Drove it 10 days ago;  the 118 road is OK but just a bit slow in the two main areas of repair, but nothing that bad/slow that would’ve made me - in retrospect - go the long way around. I’ve attached a couple of photos..

77869C51-3206-4D1F-B601-B59F1EF2B42C.jpeg

80B7DE05-5293-4811-9990-35F5CABCE9F4.jpeg

Sorry - didn’t know that more was washed away last week (I am currently in Laos so a bit out of touch) but I’m referring to the Monday - 20th? - when the road was washed away on the Friday night before.

3 hours ago, Bogbrush said:

Drove it 10 days ago;  the 118 road is OK but just a bit slow in the two main areas of repair, but nothing that bad/slow that would’ve made me - in retrospect - go the long way around. I’ve attached a couple of photos..

77869C51-3206-4D1F-B601-B59F1EF2B42C.jpeg

80B7DE05-5293-4811-9990-35F5CABCE9F4.jpeg

That is part of the road widening works , which have been going on for a few months now and will continue for a few months/years , so, they are not repairs , they are building a new wider road 

Archived