North, Northeast in grip of severe floods

webfact

The annual flooding which cost home owners & businesses millions of baht and never any action to prevent it.

Meanwhile the Gov seem more intent on buildling up the military and naval component with new tanks and submarines.

When all this water arrives in Bangkok, as it always does,we will see the usual PR scenario of the Governor overseeing the flood prevention of Bangkok with mountains of sand bags ,boats ,propellers running, employed to hasten its exit into the Gulf, even at high tide when the water  is actually entering the city surrounds.

mai phen rai

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, saminoz said:

The silly little General decided to assume responsibility for water management, let's see if he's man enough to accept blame and responsibility for the subsequent, predictable failures?

Is that General Alert I have been reading about ?

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Edit:  And I've worked with a lot of very talented Thai engineers.  Calling them uneducated goons is more a reflection of the TVF'ers who come on here to bash all things Thai when they don't know diddly squat about the subject they're bashing them on.

Not trying to stir things up at all but I thought he was referring to you.

5 hours ago, Esso49 said:

I still can not understand the mindset of people,  resort owners especially,  who build alongside a river,  on or near a river bank that is historically known to flood.    Then they complain about it ?   Frankly they should be protected against their own stupidity and have never been allowed to build there in the first place.   But there again ,  perhaps they are just illegal constructions encroaching on government land perhaps ?

No different to people in developed countries who buy a house on a flight path and then complain about the noise from aircraft.

It's Thailand, it's the rainy season.. floods happen with very little understanding among officials about how to manage it or stop it...

Just resign yourselves to the fact that if it rains someones gonna get wet !!

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes they do, and I really do blame the current mob for not doing so. This is one of the bigger problems of the country. You can't protect everyone but a few more big infrastructure projects could help a lot.  YL made some plans, Prayut trashed them (YL also never really started on them). Then Prayut made plans.. and nothing happened..  Great 2 governments both incompetent especially given the 2011 disaster. 

Each year the same problems and each year we see that at the same points make shift dams barriers appear.. why not put down some more permanent structures in the dry season. 

They have priorities. And clearly, satellite networks are far more important.

They need to see exactly where the floods are, at 18cm resolution.

Mother Nature,  you will never change it. The earth is billions of years old no one really knows, average age of a human say 70 yrs a mere blink of the eye in comparison. Unfortunately we must live with the problems nature sometimes creates.

7 hours ago, Esso49 said:

I still can not understand the mindset of people,  resort owners especially,  who build alongside a river,  on or near a river bank that is historically known to flood.    Then they complain about it ?   Frankly they should be protected against their own stupidity and have never been allowed to build there in the first place.   But there again ,  perhaps they are just illegal constructions encroaching on government land perhaps ?

If you don't get that try the USA; California is in the throws of serious wildfires and homeowners are going to go back and build in the exact same spot again and there will be more fires next year, earthquakes the same thing, maybe there really is a little lemming in humans after all.

Happens in the UK too.  People buy or build on the floodplain of a river, even if not really close to the actual river.  Then they moan like hell when they get flooded and want government help. 

Muppets! 

I bought there myself, but did check elevation before buying - was 15 feet up & 1/4 mile away from the top of the banks of a small river that an athlete could jump over, so never had a problem. 

7 hours ago, chrisinth said:

However, with all the water up north, I imagine there will be a lot of eyes on water levels down stream, especially at Nakon Suwan where the northern rivers (5 of them anyway) meet before joining the CP on the journey down to Bkk.

Seems somebody just flushed the toilet and BKK is due for a rinse.

Yeah. Like Krungthep, who in their right mind would build on a swamp in a river delta.

1 hour ago, Sprigger said:

Mother Nature,  you will never change it. The earth is billions of years old no one really knows, average age of a human say 70 yrs a mere blink of the eye in comparison. Unfortunately we must live with the problems nature sometimes creates.

What you say is 100% true, Mother nature does as she wants.

However with regards to Thailand's flooding situation, I can't help but wonder if the engineers understand that the more controls they put into the water courses, the more restrictions of flow they make, leading to overflow scenarios in low lying areas. When you also grant building rights on the natural overflow plains, that doesn't help either.

I for one am not wholly convinced that all the problems are to do with Mother Nature, seems she is getting a helping hand  somewhere down the line.

1 hour ago, Sprigger said:

It does help if you at least try to work with nature, not building on flood plains may well be a good start ?

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes they do, and I really do blame the current mob for not doing so. This is one of the bigger problems of the country. You can't protect everyone but a few more big infrastructure projects could help a lot.  YL made some plans, Prayut trashed them (YL also never really started on them). Then Prayut made plans.. and nothing happened..  Great 2 governments both incompetent especially given the 2011 disaster. 

Each year the same problems and each year we see that at the same points make shift dams barriers appear.. why not put down some more permanent structures in the dry season. 

In 2011 I can recall wandering around knee deep in water in Phaholythin Rd and riding on army trucks and trailers. I can also remember how they sandbagged and protected Bangkok central while sacrificing the poorer outer suburbs.

Cannot blame PM Prayut for that one.  I expect the elite would have had a lot of influence over that decision; like they will again whenever the centre of the city is threatened.

6 hours ago, impulse said:

I get the biggest kick out of people who think this isn't effective. 

Axial flow pumps are used all over the world to move water around.  A boat's propeller is a simple axial flow impeller.  Put enough HP on them, and they can move a lot of water and clear the flooding days, if not weeks faster.

BTW, the ferktard you're referring to is someone you can get tossed in jail for a long time were you to refer to him as such.  I'd be a little more respectful if I were planning on staying in the Kingdom.

sure  pal

1 hour ago, Jimdandy said:

If you don't get that try the USA; California is in the throws of serious wildfires and homeowners are going to go back and build in the exact same spot again and there will be more fires next year, earthquakes the same thing, maybe there really is a little lemming in humans after all.

So true.  And same in Florida and other coastal states, or the "hurricane alleys."  But esso49 is a serial Thai-basher and will do so beyond logic or reason. 

5 hours ago, impulse said:

That increases the mass flow rate of the water to the sea and clears the flooding faster.

would that be the sea that's about 700km away as its getting  even more unbelievable

7 hours ago, Lupatria said:

A pessimist is standing in the rain, an optimist is taking a shower under the clouds. At least there no gays in the flooded parks, and no smooching teens at the river banks. Meanwhile on the higher (dry) levels you will probably find many glorious men in uniforms doing the math to find out how many sandbags and water bottles it takes to win an election, and how to blame the media for the deluge. The biggest surprise for people in this country seems to be that there is a phenomenon called monsoon, which brings rain annually.

At this time, there are far more urgent problems to address! People are petting each other, in hotel pools in Pattaya as we speak! The very fabric of the nation is coming undone! They are tarnishing the name of this great city.

Flooding? A minor issue. Let us prioritize. 

11 minutes ago, impulse said:

And what qualifications do you have in fluid mechanics?

The thing that he keeps playing with. It is fluid mechanics. Whatever he drinks comes out of it when he is not playing with it.

Archived