North, Northeast in grip of severe floods

webfact

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

And what qualifications do you have in fluid mechanics?

I suspect,  other than a high degree of common sense very little, but even that would be exponentially greater that those in the Thai Ministry of whatever ,  and of course posters on here who defend them.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, CGW said:

The headline isn't the reality, or am I missing something? there is one reservoir full! 

Capture.JPG

Your table seemed out of date if you followed what the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation said today. Most dams are 80-90 % capacity. However I am more concerned with the Bhumibol dam and what was said by the department chief Khun Somkiat. Most dams are now higher in volume than in the 2011 big flood and high amounts are in Bhumibol and Sriket dams. Bhumibol dam is only 480 km north of Bangkok and is probably the last defense. If that fills up, run for the hills. 

29 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Your table seemed out of date if you followed what the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation said today. Most dams are 80-90 % capacity. However I am more concerned with the Bhumibol dam and what was said by the department chief Khun Somkiat. Most dams are now higher in volume than in the 2011 big flood and high amounts are in Bhumibol and Sriket dams. Bhumibol dam is only 480 km north of Bangkok and is probably the last defense. If that fills up, run for the hills. 

Its not his table its the official table unless they stopped updating it.

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

If you anchor a line of water pushing boats across a river, do the boats not impede the flow with the volume of the boat that is submerged? And any push downstream is soon dissipated by turbulence and friction .... If the boats did actually work, all it does is make the flooding downstream a little bit worse! Nothing but an ineffective bit of propaganda (see, we are doing something). What is needed is infrastructural works which are started, and hopefully finished, before the wet season gets properly underway. 

Of course, you can never effectively prevent all flooding, but a lot of it does seem to be due to lack of maintenance and shoddy work to begin with. A big problem is the building of dikes and embankments on flood plains, as it reduces the ability of the river to deal with flood water.

51 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

This table is up to date of off 17:00 today, that was my point - why are they scaremongering? dams are at 62% in the North & 51% in the North East, not 80-90% ? 

A good example of why I am skeptical of anything I read these? days! 

50 minutes ago, rickudon said:

If you anchor a line of water pushing boats across a river, do the boats not impede the flow with the volume of the boat that is submerged? And any push downstream is soon dissipated by turbulence and friction .... If the boats did actually work, all it does is make the flooding downstream a little bit worse! Nothing but an ineffective bit of propaganda (see, we are doing something). What is needed is infrastructural works which are started, and hopefully finished, before the wet season gets properly underway. 

Of course, you can never effectively prevent all flooding, but a lot of it does seem to be due to lack of maintenance and shoddy work to begin with. A big problem is the building of dikes and embankments on flood plains, as it reduces the ability of the river to deal with flood water.

What qualifications in fluid mechanics do you have though?

8 hours ago, robblok said:

We can blame the government for not completing the big infrastructure (and I do) but not for local things like that.

They are working on BIG MEGA infrastructure projects! Like a subway system under Pattaya's world famous walking street or a high-speed train connecting three airports that must take priority! 

11 hours ago, monspencer said:

Typical Thailand. Why wasn't it completed before the rainy season, or do the authorities not know when that is?

Maybe someone needed a new watch and the money had to come out from somewhere; after all the project was already started so the illusion of doing something was already in place. Leaving it half finished saves half the money for more important matters. Any questions later can be easily averted with some dumb rhetorical mumbo jumbo.

1 hour ago, fullcave said:

They are working on BIG MEGA infrastructure projects! Like a subway system under Pattaya's world famous walking street or a high-speed train connecting three airports that must take priority! 

Yea great idea.... NOT.

12 hours ago, rickudon said:

If you add 30,000 HP in the downstream direction over a period of 24 hours to a river flowing at a rate of  1 million cubic meters per minute, how much faster will you drain 50,000 acre feet of water than it would drain naturally?

What's the ROI of building and maintaining that infrastructure that everyone seems to think they need to spend hundreds of billions of baht on?

If you can't answer those questions (showing your math) I'd suggest you let the engineers on location do their jobs without commenting.

Archived